when to tell work your pregnant

Keyval

Reaction score
Hi ladies
When are you telling your employer your expecting ?. I work in retail. And we get orders in in heavy boxes which we have to lift . I can get away with not lifting them for a while I'd say but I'll have to come clean at some stage hah . Thanks

I'm leaving it as late as possible. I just started a couple months ago though. So that's my reason.

I told at 7w4d because I needed to change some sessions on my timetable (teacher) and I couldn't keep up with the fast pace of planning and marking. They were brilliant and have given me lots of support. I was sent home on Friday and I don't think I would have been treated as kindly if they didn't know.

I am moving dept's at the end of November so think I'll "announce" to my new boss then.
I might tell a couple people at work around then but not make a big announcement.
I dont have to lift or do any physical activity though (desk job) so I really have nothing pressuring me to tell at work. I'm just afraid I'm going to start showing before I'm ready to tell! I can hardly fit in my work pants as it is!

I've told one person, my mentor so I have someone to turn to if needed and who can look out for me if required. Last time I didn't tell anyone until after my 12 week scan tho!

I've told my manager at work, I work in retail and kept disappearing off the shop floor and he asked what was going on so had to spill the beans but no one else knows.

I told my boss at 4 weeks. I work on a haemotology ward and needed her to know that I wouldn't be moving patients and would be avoiding patients who have had PET scans etc.

Everybody at work knows now because I am suffering awful sickness. They love babies on my ward :) 4 people are already off on MAT leave lol

My boss already knows, but I am not going to go to HR until the second trimester.

I'm already in bed rest so my work already knows. I would for a really big company though so it's nice I get the time paid

I think it depends on the job, if you work somewhere where eventually you won't be able to do a certain part of your job you should mention sooner so there's no problems when that comes up. Or if you've been or are getting really sick I think it's better to tell then look unreliable.

Sadly, it doesn't always work. I got pregnant a couple weeks into a new job and about a month after I knew I started getting sick. I was fired for it less then 2 months from starting.

I think it depends on the job, if you work somewhere where eventually you won't be able to do a certain part of your job you should mention sooner so there's no problems when that comes up. Or if you've been or are getting really sick I think it's better to tell then look unreliable.

Sadly, it doesn't always work. I got pregnant a couple weeks into a new job and about a month after I knew I started getting sick. I was fired for it less then 2 months from starting.
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to be fired for being pregnant . That's awful .

It's illegal to be fired for being pregnant, but companies can still fire you for calling in sick too much - too many absences. A good company wouldn't though!!!

I had this same question, but my problem is that I don't have a job yet... My Husband and I lost our jobs due to layoffs and I found out I was pregnant..

Obviously I wouldn't tell them at the interview but I would get a job and be like... yeah I'm pregnant... :nope:

My boss knew around 6 weeks after my first appointment when we saw a heartbeat.

However, my boss is super super supportive. She was my boss when my son was stillborn and knew about my struggle with infertility after that. She would always say she is praying for me at least once a week. I knew she would be excited, which she was.

I also work at a school and am due in June, so in theory, it shouldn't effect the school year.

Yup, that's why I was fired. Too much missed time and or leaving early. They didn't care it was because I was pregnant.
And the worst part, I was a receptionist at the offices for the female case workers of clients with fetal alcohol syndrome. You'd think they'd be more compassionate.

Oh wow MeaganMackenz that's brutal!! Definitely need more compassion! Wow.

I don't know about Canada but that would be illegal in Britain. That is horrible and should not have happened at all.

My school have been lovely and I have taken time off, I'm currently off work with morning sickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->