Which icing

kirmal12

Reaction score
I'm a complete baking novice and I've decided to make LO first Birthday cake!!. I'm hiring a "1" shaped tin and the amount of mixture i need for that is bothering me but not as much as what icing i should use to ice it? and how do i make that icing?. I'm beginning to wonder if i shouldn't bother and just buy one :haha:

My friend had a 2 for her sons and the icing that was on it was buttercream. It was lovely but didnt look great because the buttercream didnt have a smooth finish. If you want a smooth finish then use fondant or royal icing but dont forget to dirty ice it underneath so it sticks.

My friend had a 2 for her sons and the icing that was on it was buttercream. It was lovely but didnt look great because the buttercream didnt have a smooth finish. If you want a smooth finish then use fondant or royal icing but dont forget to dirty ice it underneath so it sticks.

Thanks for your help, i presume you mean by dirty icing like apricot jam or similar?.

You can use buttercream icing or apricot glaze.

Buttercream tastes nicer in my opinion! To make that you use half the amount of cooking margarine (stork or something similar) to the amount of icing sugar you use. So if you use 6oz icing sugar, 3oz of margarine. Make more or less depending on the size of the cake. Another option could be just melt some chocolate over the top and grate some chocolate on it before it sets.

I use unsalted butter to make my buttercream 12oz icing sugar and 6oz butter.

Thanks ladies you have been a great help x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"