Why do people keep testing after bfp ?

emmi26

Pregnant
Reaction score
Hi
Genuine question I keep seeing on various groups ladies taking loads of tests taking pictures comparing lines making sure they are getting darker etc and I just wondered why ? It just seems like extra stress and I'm not sure how it helps ?
Sorry genuine question I took 3 ic s and then got bfp on a digi and that's it not testing anymore. I only took the extra ics because my first bfp was quite faint once I got it on the digital and saw it in words that was it.

Just wondered

Because they want to make sure the hcg hormone is increasing and it's not a chemical....

But I agree with you, I stop testing after the first clear bfp

Oh I see I just saw a lady getting so upset worried cause the line wasn't any darker then the next day it did get darker she was so so upset when she thought it wasn't bless her seemed like it can't be good to get that upset and then it was all good the day after anyway :)

I've tested today. Just to see the lines are getting darker and still there. I had an early loss in April and stopped testing after :bfp: but wish I had have carried on testing as I lost at five weeks and got a negative test which I took when I started bleeding. I know it won't change anything and things can still go wrong at any point but it made me feel better momentarily.

I totally get why women do it, but I wouldn't want to cause unnecessary worry or stress. You can't stop a loss....

I totally get why women do it, but I wouldn't want to cause unnecessary worry or stress. You can't stop a loss....

But for some women, it provides relief by seeing the darker lines in the early days.

When I had spotting at 5 weeks I was relieved to see that the clear blue digi had increased in weeks from my initial test so put my mind at rest

Each to their own.

But for some women, it provides relief by seeing the darker lines in the early days.

When I had spotting at 5 weeks I was relieved to see that the clear blue digi had increased in weeks from my initial test so put my mind at rest

Each to their own.

This. :)

I retested after my initial bfps with this pregnancy because we were in a roll over car wreck, and wanted to make sure I was the very least still pregnant. Seeing blaring, dark lines brought my a little comfort at that point

I thought it would take longer for this one so I bought a bunch of store brand ones when they were on sale. This is our last baby so I don't want them to be unused.

I retested after my initial bfps with this pregnancy because we were in a roll over car wreck, and wanted to make sure I was the very least still pregnant. Seeing blaring, dark lines brought my a little comfort at that point

Definitely a good reason.

I think it's a comfort thing as well, so if it eases people's minds, that's great. But while you might get a bfn soon after a chemical, blighted ovum etc. takes weeks of bfp's before you get a bfn anyway. So it can be a bit of wasted money if it's not telling you the pregnancy is over anyway. Unfortunately, there's just a lot of waiting and worrying during pregnancy regardless. Once I got a solid line, I threw the tests away. When I had an early loss, it took 6 weeks to bfn anyway.

I tested a few times because I have had two chemical pregnancies and they never got dark lines .. With my first I started bleeding heavily after a few positive tests that were good lines but didn't darken at all...then they turned negative .The second one I had very faint lines before my period was due then I started bleeding and the tests went negative again.
So this time I tested early and got a pretty good line but then I tested a few more times and the lines have gotten darker each time which has helped settle my nerves ..
I actually wondered the same thing before I had my chemicals ! You're right though that sometimes it can cause worry for nothing in some cases !

My first I had a two pack of tests and I used both and that was it. This time, I just couldn't believe it! And the first test I took was so faint, and continued faint for 2 days. I kept testing until they got dark enough to feel like real positives to me. Even then, I still couldn't believe it! So I got a couple clear blues, but meant to get the one with weeks estimator as I still hadn't had a period since giving birth to my first. Once I did the weeks estimator ones I stopped, but by this point I had already taken like 12 haha.

I think I tested so many times, because I just couldn't believe it was real! :haha:

I understand why people do it, and I myself took 8 tests within the first week, plus the one at the doctor's office because I wanted to be sure. But whenever I see women that keep testing for weeks after they get a bfp (this is of course excluding some circumstances, like the car accident mentioned earlier) I usually urge them to stop because they may fall victim to the Hook effect, and that turns something you're doing for comfort into something you're that causes tons of unnecessary worry.

But I understand doing it 100%, I wanted to keep testing for weeks, and even now at 22 weeks I have a digi left that I don't want to go to waste, but I won't take it because I don't want to the hook effect to give me a negative and then have unnecessary worry. Even though I can feel the baby bumping around in there just fine.

I did a progression my last pregnancy. I don't stress over losing my bean until a doctor gives me reason to. I have lost beans over nothing and kept beans during moments I should have lost them, what will be is what will be. HOWEVER I just think it is cool that the line gets darker or the weeks estimator changes. Just fun to look at and share. :)

I took about 8 tests. I thought I was 4 or 5 weeks pregnant, and I was only getting super faint lines. I found out later (at ultrasound) that I jut ovulated a week later than I thought. I kept testing because I wasnt used to faint lines... seeing a line (no matter how faint) was reassuring, since I was so nervous it may have been a chemical!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->