Why NTC Classes

geekone

Reaction score
Hi Girls

I have a question, why do you pay for your antinatal classes, I know they are seperate from the NHS ones, is there an issue with the NHS ones? I dont know anyone in Scotland who has paid for antinatal classes, the NHS classes here in Fife seem to be great, they range from the normal to labour massage I just dont know why people would pay? Sorry, I would really like to know if there is a big difference.

Thanks
Emma

The NHS antenatal classes in my area are from 11am - 1pm for 8 weeks... not great since I work 9-5 and so does my dh, and neither of us work close to the hospital. The NCT ones are in the evenings.

ahh, that makes sense, my NHS ones will be in the evening so not so bad :)

the only problem i had with the nhs ones were that i didnt get invited t one , lol. my mw was crap...
a different mw i saw at 36 weeks was shocked that i hadnbt been yet and booked me in for a hospital tour the next day , but i never got to do the breathing etc... which was actually fine by me anyway. when it came down to labour i found my body new exactly what it was doing and i just let it lead.
labour and birth went really well even with no antenatal lessons and the mw who delivered just let me get on with it. which was perfect for me. so i definatly wouldnt bother paying for private antenatal unless maybe you are very anxious about the birth, as i guess it may make you feel more in control :)

I personally dont see why women pay for these privately. If offered free may aswell take them.
I never went to any, i found all info i needed was in my nhs book & on the internet all free & no making time to go to classes. Only thing i did do was have a tour around maternity, which made me feel alot more comfortable.
Like dali said, body just does all the work. I never got classes on how to do the breathing, but just comes naturally to you when your in the pain, i had a staight forward labour & birth. :)

I'm paying because it's our first baby and the NCT ones have only 6 couples and equate to 20 hours. The NHS ones have up to 15 couples and are about 6 hours. Plus, there is a social network attached with the NCT ones too - as it's such a small group everyone can get to know each other and talk more freely - have more of a say, and mums tend to stay in touch afterwards as everyone is due around the same time.

i looked at NCT classes but tbh i think its a bit too much money and like someone said earlier it's all going to come naturally and your body will know what to do.
Luckily though i've managed to get on to a couple of NHS ones so no harm in going along.
I dont think any amount of classes whether it be NHS or NCT are going to prepare me for labour lol!
x

To be honest - the main reason I'm going to the antenatal classes is to meet people. All my family are in SA and my only friends with children live on the other side of London - so I'd like to make some friends with other first timers in our area. Anything that we learn from the classes will be an added bonus.

I would never spend money on them. The NHS classes are great and I made lots of good friends.I learnt loads and there were very informal. Lots to choose from at different locations. Going to spend the money on the baby and me instead.

I'm in Scotland too and my NHS classes are Monday mornings from 10am - 12noon and there are only 4 classes. The NCT classes are Tuesday evenings and there are 8 classes. I know myself & OH are entitled to time off work for ante-natal classes but it would mean an entire Monday morning out of the office which is kind of impratical including the travelling time to/from the Surgery.

If the NHS classes had been in the evenings I probably wouldn't have paid for the NCT ones.

Ohh Pie Mistress, where in the north east are you. I am in aberdeen and have booked on the NCT classes.

The reason we have booked on them is so that i can meet people and the fact that you have to pay for them may mean that some of the women may be in the same situation as you. (i.e, no friends with kids in the area you live in, simelar ages).

Again its a personal choice as with everything.

My classes are on a monday evening so shouldnt be so bad, I am probably not too bothered (I will still go through) as not scared of birth. Also I am joining a preganancy yoga class tomorrow which should help socially and with giving birth.

Thanks for answering girls it is good to know :hugs:

We decided to book on to NCT classes for a few reasons, but primarily because we don't know anyone in this area (all our friends/family live elsewhere) and we're first time parents, and i have heard from several people that they are great for meeting other first-time mum's and dad's to be. My best friend's mum booked on to them for the same reason (she is danish so had no family nearby) and still keeps in touch with two of the couples she met on her classes even now (and my best friend is my age, 24!)

Also we had a choice of two different classes in this area, so we could pick the day/time that suited us, which is great because we both work shifts.

I have also heard really good things about the quality of information provided, and the breastfeeding support they have available, so we're really looking forward to it. It was pretty pricey but you can pay in instalments if you want (we did) which makes life easier and some people are eligible for discounts.

I don't think there is necessarily anything 'wrong' with the nhs ones in our area, although i do know that in most nhs trusts the antenatal classes are vastly oversubscribed so it's probably the same around here. I haven't looked into the nhs ones around here though because we booked our NCT ones back in may/june and there didn't seem to be any point going to two lots of antenatal classes and getting the info twice!

Im going because i need to meet new people because only 2 friends in the are have babies, everyone else doesnt, and i want more of a social network which is baby friendly.

I am also petrified of giving birth so the more classes i have the better, NCT have sent me a pack and its got so much info on it and theres classes for after and breastfeeding etc, i think its really great.

I'm going because it's convenient, weekends in my area. To meet people in a similar situation, we have no friends or family in the area with little ones. Lastly you can to a degree direct the content of the NCT courses plus there is a 2 hour session solely devoted to breast feeding which I am very keen to do :)

I'm trying to book them because friends who have had babies in this area before have told me they are much better than the NHS ones, although obvioulsy that may not be the case everywhere, I think they are also a good way to meet like minded people and as someone said there is a lot of support and a social network attached to them. To be honest though it doesn't look as though there are going to be any available at the time I need them so I will probably just end up going to the NHS ones. Your work have to give you time off to attend these even if they are in the day, it is a legal requirement so I wouldn'tlet timing put you off going if you want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->