Will I have to have a c section next time?

kittykat7210

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm quite worried that my next baby (not pregnant at the moment just forward thinking) will have to be born via c section, I had shoulder dystocia and lost a lot of blood during my labour this time. I had no markers for shoulder dystocia risk as I'm 5 ft 2, was 130lbs at the end of my pregnancy (103 at the start) had a small-normal sized baby and a relatively quick labour. I was hoping to have another natural birth (but maybe actually be able to get in the birthing pool) but I fear that they will not let me due to my last birth, is this a real possibility?

How bad was the shoulder dystocia? Do you know how long it lasted and what they did to get baby out? (Like did they have to break the clavicle?)
It puts you at some risk of shoulder dystocia again, but I have not seen a c-section done in subsequent pregnancies for a history of shoulder dystocia alone.
Shoulder dystocia can happen during c-sections, too!

She was stuck for a little while but they managed to get her out without breaking anything, the only reason I asked was because I was talking to another mum who said she wasn't allowed to have a normal birth next time because she had shoulder dystocia in a past labour, she said her experience was similar to mine so it worried me!

My nephew's shoulder was stuck and they had to break his clavicle to get him out. My sister's subsequent pregnancy was twins and she was going to have them vaginally, no one was concerned about the previous shoulder dystocia. She ended up with a csection anyways because babies were both transverse, but that decision had nothing to do with the shoulder dystocia in previous labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->