• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will my bag be different for a c-section

Zfbaby

Reaction score
Just found out today that I'll be having a c-section. I was wondering in what way if any will be hospital bag be different. Is there anything I will need or not need?
Hospital seems to think ill be home 24hra after surgery so I know I might have to add a few extra clothes for baby but roughly how much of everything will I need? any advice at all would be great.
Thanks ladies

Hi,

I had a section (unplanned)... the only thing I needed to buy extra was big pants lol. Well the midwife sent my OH out to buy me some. You will need some big enough to pull up over your scar. Normal underwear will sit directly on it and you don't want that. Also, you will still bleed a lot after so make sure you have thick pads. Apart from that, I didn't change my bag at all.

You will probably find you feel really rough after as it is rather painful for a couple of days, so you might not be interested in putting on make up or washing your hair ect. Oh and I'd suggest wearing a night gown or loose bottoms as you don't want anything too tight.

I'd definitely pack some extra changes of clothes for you and LO as I was in hospital for several days after both my c sections. I'd second what pp said about big undies - they are essential I feel.

Giant undies. I had to go out and buy them after I got out of the hospital. I just wore my regular ones in the hospital and either pushed them down or wore a pad where my incision is.

That and high waisted pants. I went out and bought some dressier looking PJ pants and still wear them every day. Haven't brought myself to try wearing regular clothes yet, since they all sit about where my incision is.

Another vote for big pants.

I also took arnica ( a herbal remedy) which I felt helped with my recovery.

xx

Oh, and 'slip-on' slippers so you don't have to bend.

I agree, big pants and maternity pads as you still bleed after. Nothing else really, I had an emcs so had packed for a natural birth and there wasn't anything I thought I needed and didn't have.

Just get visitors to leave nappies and anything you'll need on the chair next to you before they leave because of the difficulty bending...I learnt that the first night!

I highly doubt you'll be out 24 hours after though! I was in three days after.

Good luck xx

I highly doubt you'll be out 24 hours after though! I was in three days after.

Good point. I was in 4 days. If I had not had a panic attack in the middle of the night during the 2nd and 3rd day, I would have been out on day 3 (if I wanted), but doctor wanted me to stay the 4.

I was still epidural-ed at 24 hours!

I was out of bed after 24 hours (not allowed before that due to still being numb from the spinal) out on day 3 both times.

massive pants are a must. Asda do a pack of 5 in black for about £4. I still wear mine a year later as I can't stand anything rubbing on my scar.

Plenty of clothes for baby, loose bottoms for you. Nice toiletries for the shower (I also recommend taking something like crocs or flip flops to shower in.....it can get a bit grim in there!)

I took arnica both times and honestly think it helped a lot. In fact the 2nd time I started taking it a few days before my section.

The hospital will like you to use cotton wool and water for baby but take some baby wipes for you to freshen up every time you go to the loo, I was surprised how much I bled.

Xx

I was out of bed after 24 hours (not allowed before that due to still being numb from the spinal) out on day 3 both times.

massive pants are a must. Asda do a pack of 5 in black for about £4. I still wear mine a year later as I can't stand anything rubbing on my scar.

Plenty of clothes for baby, loose bottoms for you. Nice toiletries for the shower (I also recommend taking something like crocs or flip flops to shower in.....it can get a bit grim in there!)

I took arnica both times and honestly think it helped a lot. In fact the 2nd time I started taking it a few days before my section.

The hospital will like you to use cotton wool and water for baby but take some baby wipes for you to freshen up every time you go to the loo, I was surprised how much I bled.

Xx

Good to hear you took arnica a few days before section - I was thinking of doing this too as felt it worked wonders last time. x

Xx

Good to hear you took arnica a few days before section - I was thinking of doing this too as felt it worked wonders last time. x

Xx

how much arnica did you take and for how many days before??

I found this link on netdoctor which says you can start taking it a few days before "due date". The pack tells you what dosage to take:

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/pregnancyandchildbirth/205110.html

First off I would pack extra clothing just in case, you never know! I got sick the day of my c-section and was close to having pneumonia so they kept me for 5 days in the hospital. I had to have my OH drive back to get me more clothing and that is a pain in the butt.

I recommend very loose fitted clothing. Your incision is going to be very sore and you don't want anything tight rubbing against - OUCH. You will also need pads if the hospital does not supply them because you will be bleeding quite a bit after. And extra pillows - hospital ones are thin and limpy. I also recommend you bring your own blakets because theirs are thin and it's always freezing in the hospital.

As for the baby TONS of clothing, bottles (if applicable), bibs, blankets, mittens, burp cloths, socks, and a nice warm hat for the babies head.

Thanks ladies I will get my bags out of the car and start to repack them with extra bits.

Can u ask how the arnica helps? I bought some bubble bath with arnica in it for a little down the line but couldn't find anything in boots for showers.

I would be worried that they are going to push you out too soon if they are saying 24 hours! My hospital said a minimum of 3 nights and after complaining to get out and getting up and about quickly I managed to be out after 2 nights but 24 really does seem quick. I was told 3-7 days is the average amount of time to stay after a c-section by many midwives and consultants.

I second big pants! Also loose fitting clothes and nothing that sits on your bikini line. Do not even think about what looks good as it is all about comfort. Seriously, I NEVER wear jogging bottoms out of the house unless I am at the gym and that is all that has gone in my hospital bag this time.

Enough clothes for at least 2-3 days for you and the baby. Even though I am attempting a VBAC I have packed for 2 nights in case I have a EMCS. Also a back up bag at home that your OH can pick up should you both be in a few days longer. Alternatively some extra clothes set to one side of a draw that he can get if needed. The first hospital stay I had I wasn't expecting and DH had to go home and get some things for me and forgot a brush or any PJ bottoms or trousers and the tops he brought hardly fit. So I would say don't trust that your OH will know what to get should you be in longer.

A toiletry bag with anything you might think you will need in it. I'm planning a VBAC and I still got plenty of mini-toiletries because if I need a EMCS I know I will be thankful of them. Maybe it is just me but I felt desperate to get the wires off me and tubes out so I could have a decent shower.

Snacks and cordial (double strength bottles take up less space in your bag). Water will be available but cordial probably won't be, at my hospital you could there was always access to water and hot drinks but I got very sick of water. The hospital food might not be good or big enough portions so taking some snacks might be wise. This is just my experience based on spending a lot of time in and out of hospital last time and your hospital may be different.

I've packed 6 vests and sleepsuits in my main suitcase as well as a set for the delivery. I'm hoping this should be enough for a couple of days at least and if really needed I can get more brought in. I'm hoping to transfer to the local birthing center after a day or so to be closer to home so that will make things easier.
Good idea on the squash, I'll add some to my bag. Mil will be bringing me snacks etc each day so I probably won't even need to eat the hospital food. :)

get some wipes and maybe facial sprits spray because you will be stuck in bed for atleast 12 hours after section before you can walk about to have a bath/shower and you will feel abit better if you can freshen up especially before visitors,and the big undies definetly a must :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->