Will you be introducing follow on milk?

T

Toms Mummy

I'm not even sure when follow on milk can be given :dohh: but was just wondering, those of you who ebf. Will you also be introducing follow on milk/formula when you start weaning on to solids at 6ish months?

Why?.... Will you be introducing any other drinks like water or juice?

No. I'll just carry on breastfeeding and offer water. I found that until about 9 months mine weren't interested in any liquids other than breastmilk and then only small amounts of weak squash.

I don't really see the point in giving another type of milk, especially one designed for baby cows when my boobs are full of specially tailored baby human milk.

Thanks :).... I never gave it to my son and bf him for 2 years. But this time round I am wondering, when dd starts eating solids then introducing formula won't be too bad as she'll be eating other things besides breastmilk anyway.....

It's like I don't want to give her any formula until she starts eating solids as I feel that she won't be getting the full benefits of breastmilk if I start introducing other milk before the weaning stage. So wondering if it's okay to introduce when weaning, as a drink.... like instead of juice/water?

We didn't. I just offered water with solids and then still nursed her whenever she wanted to.

No, my daughter was just breastfed and then offered water at meal times once we introduced solids. Will be doing the same with DS. :thumbup:

If you're concerned about her not getting the full benefits of breastfeeding, then why introduce it at all? I have not used it as I have continued to breastfeed. Violet has had sips of regular cow's milk, but that was because she was curious about my drink, not because I specifically offered it to her. Similarly, I will not be specifically offering her other non-mommy-milk. You'd probably find more people in the formula forum, who have used it.

Im just wondering whether it is worth giving that's all. Because breastfed mummys give cows milk at age one and it not being an issue, I'm wondering whether it would be an issue giving formula cows milk alongside breastmilk from around 6 months, or when they start weaning?

I can't see the point, mummy milk from me and water offered at meals. Unless you wish to wean from the breast?

I'm the same as everyone else. I always offer water at meals (doesn't get drunk) and fed on demand the rest of the time. Now we're at the point where breastfeeding is so quick and easy, I don't see the point of starting the hassle of bottles/sterilising/formula etc. Food is just for fun before 1, they still get most their nutrients from their milk, so I'd rather she has breastmilk until at least 1 minimum x

No, no plans to wean from the breast. Just fed up of pumping when I need to be away from her so thought follow on milk could be an option without her losing benefits of breastfeeding?.... It'd only be like once a week from 7 months old. Is it really that bad?

No - though if still BF at a year there is no need to introduce cows milk either. Why replace human milk with cow milk? Surely the made to order Mummy stuff would be better? Personally I don't see the point in follow-on milk. I strongly believe it is a ploy for formula companies to be able to advertise their products. I would use normal formula if using a substitute before a year. Will you be gone the whole day?

Thanks Noo. I guess I'm just thinking about cows milk like how I will drink it... not wholely for the nutritional benefit or as a substitute for breastmilk but for the taste Mmm :) I just figured that it might be nice to introduce DD to it during the weaning stage just like we introduce other things like juice or a foodstuff as a new taste :shrug:.... AND at the same time use it as a way of not having to pump if I'm away.... I'd never be away for more than a couple of hours before she is 1 (then I'll be going back to work part-time and have to combi feed I supposed??? :shrug: I dunno, what do those mothers who breastfeed do when they return to work?

I did last time as DS had bottles of EBM everyday from when he was tiny containing medicines etc, so when he was weaning we introduced formula so I wouldn't need to pump.

The pros would be having milk to hand whenever you went away. For me, the cons were the cost (very expensive!) and also I feel led to weaning off the breast earlier than I'd planned (11 months) because my supply started to dip, we were always tempted to just make up a bottle, he started to bite the bottle and therefore the nipple etc etc. This time I'm hoping to avoid formula altogether because it can get to be a bit of a slippery slope.

After 6 months you might find you can feed before you leave, leave snacks and have whoever's watching baby call you to dash home when milk is needed? I always found my first could go longer between milk feeds when I wasn't there smelling of milk!

Thanks Whistle.... I do worry that it could be a slippery slope, esp as dd would near to 1. But at the same time, I bf my son until 2 years and gave him other drinks (milkshakes/hot choc etc) during that time. So, despite what people have said on here (although thanks for replies :)) I think I will start introducing formula for those times that I am away, as I will still be breastfeeding the most. x

No, no plans to wean from the breast. Just fed up of pumping when I need to be away from her so thought follow on milk could be an option without her losing benefits of breastfeeding?.... It'd only be like once a week from 7 months old. Is it really that bad?

"Bad" is a judgement call that isn't for us to make. I think what we're all saying is that offering "follow on milk" is a step in the direction of weaning from the breast. Now, if it works for you to give it once a week, then that's your call, but again, it's a step in the direction of weaning as it is replacing breastmilk. If it's only once a week, she certainly will retain the benefits of breastfeeding.

Thanks Sarah bear. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance or justification for doing it!.... Dd is only 3 months old soo got a while before I need to worry about any sort of weaning!

Thanks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->