Wills

rowleypolie

Mom of 2, #3 on the way
Reaction score
So I am watching the movie raising Helen and sitting here thinking, who would I give my kids to if something happened. I will have 3 in a few months. I have only brothers 1 is married and living in Japan, the other is 21 and reckless still. Dh's family is a mess. So I don't really have anyone. Has anyone else started thinking about this? I really need to get a will written out so it isn't left to my parents and Dh's mom fighting it out street fighter style.

I was just thinking about this today. Well, the fact that we don't have wills, or much life insurance, and have no clue who should raise our daughter if something happened to us. I guess we need to have a talk and get on this...

We have in both of our wills that the custody of any children in the event of both of our deaths would go to my parents. They are more similar to DH and I in terms of lifestyle, values etc so to me that made more sense (and DH didn't feel strongly about it thankfully!). We are arguably over-insured so if something did happen to us any LOs would be well provided for. Definitely would suggest some form of life assurance if financially viable to do so x

As with pp I have a will and good life insurance although since this is out first lo our wills will nee rewritten after they arrive. Custody would be joint between my sister and brother- and they would decide where it was best for lo to go at that time. My brother has done the same, and put my sister and I as guardians should anything happen to them. We didn't choose either set of parents as we would want lo to be raised in a family still which my siblings could offer, and dh's family live too far away and it would be too much upheaval for a child, plus his sister isn't married.

We had life insurance as part of Dh's job but not anymore, something we need to look at getting again. Leaving the kids to either of our parents would cause stress as our families do not get along. Honestly if my brother in Japan lived in the states he would be our best option....

We had our wills written up about 6 months ago.

My SIL actually heard we were going to do our wills and she offered for her and her husband to take James and any other children we would have if anything were to happen to us.
That brought me to tears and I so appreciated it.

She is pregnant with a little girl now and I feel so confident DS would be in good hands with them, even though they live in another country.

We put my in-laws as back ups because they are wonderful grandparents and could provide for him also.

Our FIL is the one who will be in charge of our finances and delegating the amount of $ DS gets if we die.

It's kind of weird to talk about it but i would rather be prepared

I tried to get hubby to sort our wills after Hayden was born - neither of us has one - but since we planned to have another baby he insisted on waiting. Now that #2 is almost here we need to have a serious think about what we will do. Our first choice to look after them would be my older sister, as her values are the closest to ours and we think she would raise them most like we would. The trouble is, I'd feel bad asking her to as her children are 16, 18 & 20 now, so she's almost done raising them and it would mean starting again! Pretty sure if we asked she would say yes, though. And, of course, it's very unlikely to happen, but we really should get prepared. And get some life insurance.

I tried to get hubby to sort our wills after Hayden was born - neither of us has one - but since we planned to have another baby he insisted on waiting. Now that #2 is almost here we need to have a serious think about what we will do. Our first choice to look after them would be my older sister, as her values are the closest to ours and we think she would raise them most like we would. The trouble is, I'd feel bad asking her to as her children are 16, 18 & 20 now, so she's almost done raising them and it would mean starting again! Pretty sure if we asked she would say yes, though. And, of course, it's very unlikely to happen, but we really should get prepared. And get some life insurance.
You can have your will drafted to say "in the event of any children/further children". We didn't have one when ours were originally drafted (and our first LO isn't here yet) but you can include wording now to cover without naming them specifically x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->