Winter newborn help!

Jennaxo

Caleb +1
Reaction score
I had my 20 week scan last week, found out I'm having another little boy, so happy :cloud9:

I am going to pull down Caleb's baby clothes from the loft and see what I've got before doing a little shopping. But... he was a summer baby and I've realised I have no idea what I need to buy specifically for a winter baby. I'm in the UK so it is going to be pretty damn chilly.

Anybody got any suggestions on must haves? Would be very grateful. Feel like such an idiot. :blush:

Legit have been wondering the exact same thing! Due on the 16th Jan so it's guaranteed to be freezing. (UK same as you!) I'm thinking long sleeve bodysuits under sleepsuits and lots of blankets to add/take away as necessary. I looked at some of those velour sleepsuits but I feel like baby would overheat since it won't be cold indoors with the central heating on. I'm also thinking one of those pramsuits/snowsuits for when we go out. I've bought 2 2.5 tog sleeping bags too, and those feel cosy (could always also put a blanket on top if necessary). But I think for day-to-day I'm going to be mostly using bodysuits under sleepsuits and then a cardigan or something on top. But I'm defo interested to see what people who've had winter babies say!

My first was born in August, but pretty much spent from October onwards in winter clothes. This LO is due n January too.

I'd suggest a nice snug pram/snow suit for all those walks, booties, long sleeved bodysuits, cosy hat and gloves, nice thick blankets...
It depends on how long you plan to keep baby in baby grows. I didn't like my DD being in them all day. So we bought fleecey trousers and got loads of knitted stuff so she wore that a lot of the time too xx

A thick pram/snowsuit. I just layered vests etc under baby grow as as its often warm indoors and easy to strip the layers. Would also recommend a Wallaboo footmuff, they are amazing! Or similar thing, much easier than blankets etc

My son was born Feb 5 - We are in Canada and our winters are very harsh! This time around I am due Feb 1st!

Sleepers are the best for the first 3 months! We had bought cute little pant and shirt outfits and never used any of them! Sleepers, long sleeve rompers, slippers, little mits and beanies!
We had a car seat cover that was made from Minky fabric to keep baby warm when we drove in the car or went on walks, plus also had a fleecy blanket in the car seat that we could remove if baby was getting too hot. Make sure if you get a car seat cover that it is one that can breathe and has many spots to open and allow ventilation.
Happy Shopping Momma!

Hi! My DS is a January baby and the day he was born it was -38degrees Celsius out. I live in Northern Finland so it's pretty cold and snowy all winter. Inside he wore vests under a sleep suit then his 2.5 tog sleeping bag at night and blankets in the day. It was still at least 21 degrees inside so normal temp but at night it could get chilly. Outside he wore his normal clothes under a fleece or wool all in one and then his snowsuit, woolly hat, gloves and socks inside his pram sleeping bag and I would let him sleep outside up until -10 degrees celsius.

Obviously this is an extreme and not something you'll experience in the UK but I wanted to show you it's not difficult to dress them in the winter and don't be afraid of taking them out in the cold.

Get a really good and safe/certified car seat cover if you intend to use the bucket-type car seats. I am in Canada and for my last fall/winter baby I got one that is good to -35 Celsius. It works great because you are not supposed to put baby in anything bulky in the car seat but it's so cold - I'd just have him in his regular indoor clothes + a hat and with the car set cover he was good to go anywhere.

My first was March, just go with layers that way you can easily adjust. Long sleeved onsies, vests, cardigans and blankets.

Thank you ladies, making a note of all this, your all a bunch of absolute life savers! <3

Sleepers.
A warm fleece snowsuit for walks in the stroller or carrier.
A cover for over the carseat for the cold walks to the car.
Warm hard and mittens
Long sleeve onesies

My daughter was a November baby, so well a truly a winter start! Lots of cardigans, I found them so useful and easy to get on and off, layering is best as can be warm when you go inside, so you want something you can take off quickly. Hats too, as can come off easily when in and out of places when out. A good sheepskin is great for the pram, really helps to regulate temperature. And a couple of good winter snuggly all in ones.

Lots of blankets and ling sleeve vests. Fleecy sleepsuits are good or little cardys over the sleepsuit or outfit. Socks and hat and mittens.

Sienna had a snowsuit but i never used it with her i found it too chinky for carseat. Obviously outfit wise just buy bits in the shop when winter range comes out and add layers :) x

Eva was born in December and I was out walking the dogs with her in the carrier from 10 days old. Lots of layers-long sleeved vests under long sleeved sleepsuits. She had a snowsuit for the carrier with or without a blanket wrapped round depending on the weather. Blankets and hats on the car seat and pram. We also had a pram suit but didn't use it an awful lot. She kept kicking off blankets at night so had a sleeping bag with sleepsuits that had the folding over mittens at the end. Then added cardis or took off layers or went to short sleeve vests depending on the temp.

Remember that snow suits or padded or thick clothing can't be worn in a car seat.

We had a convertible car seat so we had blankets inside the car which we wrapped her in after doing up the straps.

She mostly wore footed sleepsuits with a vest underneath and then a cardigan on top, then we just covered her in blankets and a hat sometimes.

She was born in October I. Scotland so it was cold.

There are so many adorable winter baby clothes I'm not really worried about dressing my winter newborn even though my first son was a september baby. What I am worried are winter maternity clother :(
I will say this though...get a good pram winter cover/suit, it's essential for quick exits so that you don't have to dress your baby in its own snow suit all the time.

I'm also having a winter baby due February. I worry about it knowing if he's too hot or too cold but I planned to invest in cosy sleepsuits and long sleeved onesies for the first wee while anyway

I could have written this, only in reverse haha. I'm in Australia, soour seasons are opposite to yours, but I've got a similar deal with having a winter baby first time round, and now expecting a summer baby (both boys).

I feel like winter was easy.. I just got everything long sleeved, and layered up with cardies/jackets when it was really cold.
I'm at a loss for having a newborn in hot weather tho haha.. Maybe you can help me out? :D

Maria was a winter baby - indoors I'd dress her in a vest and sleepsuit and for outdoors I'd add on socks (the sleepsuits were footed but socks are needed because the extremities get colder quicker) and mittens and a snowsuit and balaclava or woolly hat with a blanket/pram sleeping bag over but that was in -20ish temps but the UK, despite not being that cold tempwise, feels cold because of the damp so at least a pramsuit outside and a hat plus mittens and socks.
Using a mosquito net on the pram helps keep some of the cold wind off baby.

Hi! My DS is a January baby and the day he was born it was -38degrees Celsius out. I live in Northern Finland so it's pretty cold and snowy all winter. Inside he wore vests under a sleep suit then his 2.5 tog sleeping bag at night and blankets in the day. It was still at least 21 degrees inside so normal temp but at night it could get chilly. Outside he wore his normal clothes under a fleece or wool all in one and then his snowsuit, woolly hat, gloves and socks inside his pram sleeping bag and I would let him sleep outside up until -10 degrees celsius.

Obviously this is an extreme and not something you'll experience in the UK but I wanted to show you it's not difficult to dress them in the winter and don't be afraid of taking them out in the cold.

How far north are you? Doesn't get much colder than -25 where I am thank goodness!!

I could have written this, only in reverse haha. I'm in Australia, soour seasons are opposite to yours, but I've got a similar deal with having a winter baby first time round, and now expecting a summer baby (both boys).

I feel like winter was easy.. I just got everything long sleeved, and layered up with cardies/jackets when it was really cold.
I'm at a loss for having a newborn in hot weather tho haha.. Maybe you can help me out? :D

My son was born right at the beginning of a heatwave (bearing in mind I think our idea of a heatwave is extremely different to yours, haha!!) but pretty much he lived in just short sleeved sleepsuits/vest for the first few weeks! It was easy (actually, I was disappointed he never wore some of his super cute newborn sleepsuits!) some days we even had him in just a nappy.

How far north are you? Doesn't get much colder than -25 where I am thank goodness!![/QUOTE]

We're a couple of hundred kilometres north of the Arctic Circle! You probably have heard of the area but don't want to say it on here! Are you near Helsinki?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->