Winter newborn help!

Hi! My DS is a January baby and the day he was born it was -38degrees Celsius out. I live in Northern Finland so it's pretty cold and snowy all winter. Inside he wore vests under a sleep suit then his 2.5 tog sleeping bag at night and blankets in the day. It was still at least 21 degrees inside so normal temp but at night it could get chilly. Outside he wore his normal clothes under a fleece or wool all in one and then his snowsuit, woolly hat, gloves and socks inside his pram sleeping bag and I would let him sleep outside up until -10 degrees celsius.

Obviously this is an extreme and not something you'll experience in the UK but I wanted to show you it's not difficult to dress them in the winter and don't be afraid of taking them out in the cold.

How far north are you? Doesn't get much colder than -25 where I am thank goodness!!

We're a couple of hundred kilometres north of the Arctic Circle! You probably have heard of the area but don't want to say it on here! Are you near Helsinki?[/QUOTE]

Wow very north! Have you been seeing a lot of the Northern Lights lately?
I'm a bit north east of Tampere.

I could have written this, only in reverse haha. I'm in Australia, soour seasons are opposite to yours, but I've got a similar deal with having a winter baby first time round, and now expecting a summer baby (both boys).

I feel like winter was easy.. I just got everything long sleeved, and layered up with cardies/jackets when it was really cold.
I'm at a loss for having a newborn in hot weather tho haha.. Maybe you can help me out? :D

My son was born right at the beginning of a heatwave (bearing in mind I think our idea of a heatwave is extremely different to yours, haha!!) but pretty much he lived in just short sleeved sleepsuits/vest for the first few weeks! It was easy (actually, I was disappointed he never wore some of his super cute newborn sleepsuits!) some days we even had him in just a nappy.

Thanks Talia! It probably does get a little warmer here on average - although I'm in Victoria, at the bottom of Australia, and it's definately not as hot as tropical Queensland at least. Definitely helpful to know, thanks :).

I could have written this, only in reverse haha. I'm in Australia, soour seasons are opposite to yours, but I've got a similar deal with having a winter baby first time round, and now expecting a summer baby (both boys).

I feel like winter was easy.. I just got everything long sleeved, and layered up with cardies/jackets when it was really cold.
I'm at a loss for having a newborn in hot weather tho haha.. Maybe you can help me out? :D

Summer babies are so easy, Caleb spent most of his time in a vest if we were out. Always took a light blanket out with us incase the weather took a turn for the worse. At home, on the hottest days, he would wear nothing but a nappy, just to keep him cool. A sleepsuit at night for when it cooled down. Voile shopping was a short list. :D

My daughter was born a few days before Christmas, in the pram she'd wear a vest, sleepsuit, pramsuit, mittens and a hat. I started using a wrap when she was 6 weeks old and couldn't use the pramsuit as she got far too hot!

ETA - She also had blankets in the pram/carseat too.

All my girls were winter babies, I found layers the way to go! They always had a vest then either a babygro or outfit on then a cardigan and a snowsuit if we were outside for any length of time, also had plenty of blankets. Hats are a must for being outside for long periods too and mittens if you can the sleepers with mittens built in it makes it much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->