woolwich

Good point marinewag - is the death of a solider somehow more tragic than the death of a civilian?

Omg SummerRain that is actually so true you have just made me remember loads of the South London guys I knew as a teenager who were exactly like that. Most of them were totally drug-addled too. People are happy to jump to the conclusion that it was an Islam-related attack because Islamophobia is so unbelievably, depressingly prevalent in this country. I haven't dared look at the DM today, the Guardian website comments are bad enough as it is.

I don't go into those areas anymore after some mad crackhead who looked not unlike the guy in the video (well from the stills) took a disliking to me on the tube one day and threatened to behead me and kill me. No-one on the tube train said anything either except my friend who was with me and the guy ran off as soon as it got to the station. I was just so shaken I didn't report it but I just never went anywhere on that side of the river and 'those ends' again. This guy didnt claim to be Muslim but is just an example of the crazies you get in some areas. I am worried for my DH as he is out working in the cab tonight and he has been threatened by passengers before, he has a partition as its a black cab, but still :(. I really feel awful for this soldier's family as it looks like their loss is being exploited by the press and government for their own gain. It seems the MET are the only ones being sensible about this :( xx

Thanks summer rain, great info ! Currently stealing it for a facebook debate heh heh. Far too many "i'm not racist but..." statuses circulating round at the moment

Good point marinewag - is the death of a solider somehow more tragic than the death of a civilian?

In principle, no. However, it is shocking I think that I definitely didn't expect it to be a solider. I just thought people had more respect for people doing such a job. I guess I feel the same about many professions. The attack would be tragic regardless but I admit I was not expecting him to be a solider.

In principle, no. However, it is shocking I think that I definitely didn't expect it to be a solider. I just thought people had more respect for people doing such a job. I guess I feel the same about many professions. The attack would be tragic regardless but I admit I was not expecting him to be a solider.

But he wasn't working at the time, he wasnt in uniform, there's nothing to suggest at this time that the killers definitely knew he was a soldier. To me right now with what has been said, as sad as it is especially for my community, it is a bit of an irrelevance or certainly not to the degree its being reported and as summer rain said I feel sorry for the family as at the moment he is being exploited.

I think if you are at the point of craziness that you actually decide to behead someone, the respectability of a profession isn't really going to make any difference.

I haven't seen any strong indication these people were actually Muslim. In south London there are a lot of gangs who call themselves 'Muslim mandem' and the like, they are a bunch of crackheads who wouldn't know Islam if it hit them in the face but its just another name to them. Some of them rant and rave Islamic words and phrases but again its nothing to do with them being practicing. anyway the original eyewitnesses on the scene made no mention of the men saying anything Islamic. From some of the reports it sounds like this could have been a road rage attack. Even the met are saying do not speculate but it seems certain government figures and the press are stirring it up. :(. Xx

Completely agree with this.

A criminal is a criminal is a criminal. Was Christianity on trial when Nicola Edgington committed a identical attack 7 miles away from the current scene? I don't remember the archbishop or local priests clambering over themselves offering condemnations. It's increasingly becoming difficult being a muslim.

Im just going by what the attacker said in the video. 99% sure he targeted him on purpose.

Even if he didn't then I will still stand by being shocked by them being a solider. Not sure why. Just am. *shrugs*

What in the video made you think he targeted him specifically?

I think the Cobra thing is because this has the potential to turn really horrid with Muslims being attacked and possibly even killed, by lunatics or extemists on the other side of the fence. So the argument would be better to be seen to be doing something, rather than people say oh we took it into our own hands cos nothing was done by the government/police. I think right now the government are damn if they do (inflaming a situation) and damn if they dont (people taking matters into their own hands).

He was ranting about bringing our troops home and our government, I think he was targeted fom what I'm seeing.

He was ranting about bringing our troops home and our government, I think he was targeted fom what I'm seeing.

I thought that and also knowing the area well I know the attack was literally right outside the barracks.

I think they knew, hadn't he just came out of the barracks? It's so awful :(

My brother in law is based in Hounslow and yes soldiers stick out like a sore thumb, they are told not to exercise outside the base, where we are doesn't seem so stark, but it is still a bit of an assumption right now and I'm not sure if the reaction is channelled in the right way. I am worried this is going to turn into soldier supporters vs them, this will not end well, Muslims or lets face it anyone whose not white could be targeted because some of the white British people supporting the soldiers are saying some really vile things and in turn soldiers could again or actually become victims. My husband is standing on guard outside a London military base tomorrow and I am worried, I am also worried for all the Muslims and non white people who will be walking around London. People need to keep this nasty isolated incident in perspective, because right now the biggest threat is the media and our reaction, not "terrorists".

RIP to the laddie who died whether serving or not.

All this blame on Islam :(.

I've sat and read so many "Support our Soldiers" threads and so many "This is a Christian country" on FB. What a croc. If people are so concerned with this being a christian country then why are half the churches empty ??. And support our soldiers ... my brother has been spat at, attacked verbally and physically while on recruiting duty and off duty because he's a soldier, by "good" british, white christians.

This world has gone to hell in a handbasket because of those few who are intolerant of anything different.

I wouldnt be surprised if this doesnt start another set of riot where muslim communities are targetd.

Sadly it seems the stupid and ignorant seem to be able to shout the loudest so the very small amount of extremists and the racist prats will rile things up dragging innocent people into it.

I am not implying its a terrorist crime but the black guy was ranting about our government and wars ect and its very unlikely he was not targeted

Yes this. I am rubbish with words but I am glad you also thought this. I thought I was going crazy for a second there!? Was definitely not random.

But its not even been confirmed that he was a soldier yet, remember that a lot of the stuff being said isnt fact but hearsay.

Marinewag, my Gran used to live right by the Hounslow barracks for about sixty years (her first family home and also where she died), so we used to go to all the open/family days that. Great memories. Sorry for being O/T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->