work and prgenancy

kellylouise46

Reaction score
hi i wonder if anyone can help me!
i found out i am pregnant and like a good girl i inofrmed work as i work in factory!
as i found out we were in the middle of changing shifts, so i now do 5 days out of seven 8 hour shifts but on our contract they can make you stay for 10 hours which is most of the time. so it ends up with working a 50 hour week. i have not been risk assessed yet and fell my managers just dont care.
i was wondering if anyone knows what the maxium working hours per day are when you are 7 weeks pregnant thank you

Hiya hun,

I'm not sure about what the max working hours are, where are you? Are you in the UK? if you are then you should go onto the government websites and look for the advise there. I work in admin in a factory and I know that they are very quick to do risk assessments when someone is pregnant to this is not acceptable from your managers. How can they make you stay for 10 hours? is this written into your contract? Do you have a union rep you can speak to? They should know the answers to all of this.

Good Luck hun :hug:

Its basically normal hun, they need to allow you adequete rest breaks as you will be extremly tired but in my job I have to work normal hours and get breaks when i can, if it gets to much and u have symapthetic doc you could maybe get signed off bu depends on doc!

Mine also said no lifting, apart from that as far as i am aware there are no guidlines on max hours.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg373.pdf

Just found this xx

im not to sure either to be honest but im having problems with work as i work as a nurse they havent given me any lighter duties which upsets me as i dont want to feel that i cant do anything but im also dont want to put my baby at risk! what to do??? i was going to leave before i found out i was pregnant but now i cant leave as no one else would empoly me!!! help!!:hissy:

Hiya Sib,

I think that you should also consult your union rep to see where you stand with this. You shouldn't be doing heavy work, it isn't acceptable and particularly bad considering your profession and how your colleagues should be more understanding.

Your babies come first and your employers should be respectful of that. :hugs:

Hey hun i can work up to 13 hours a day still at work so don't think there is a maximum time, but they should be giving you regular rest breaks and they are legally need to do a risk assesment on you which normally rules out heavy lifting standing on your feet for long periods of time etc.

I would talk again to your manager about getting a risk assesment done, i had my first midwife app yesterday and she asked if i had had a risk assesment done on me,so if your manager does not seem very helpful i would mention that your midwife has said you def need one done asap! If they are still not helpful then as lalitas charm said speak to your union rep as you are not being treated as you should be!

Hope it all turns out for you ok!

xxxxx

Hi KellyLouise,

If you don't have a union representative, you could call ACAS on 08457 47 47 47 it's a helpline and they will tell you exactly where you stand. I spoke to them recently regarding a lady that is pregnant at my workplace prior to carrying out her risk assessment....then found out I was pregnant also (but still trying to avoid telling anybody at work until the 12 weeks is up....4 weeks to go) as far as I am aware they shouldn't be causing you undue stress and need to be tollerant regarding time off if you are feeling unwell/tired. They also need to be considerate of you sitting/standing for long periods and make relevant provisions and a risk assessment is a legal requirement so keep pushing for that.

Sib85 - the same applies to you, I would call ACAS and speak to your doctor, if the babies health is at risk they have no option but to find other work for you to do or put you on paid leave....

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"