Work... I'm not being unreasonable

A

AppleBlossom

At the minute I am still working in the hotel where I have been waitressing FOREVER (3 years in June) They've known about my pregnancy since I was about 2 months and although I'm only part time I carried on waitressing because I felt I could. Then when I got to 6 months I said to my boss that I couldn't waitress anymore as it involved to much standing, lifting and bending and it was just high stress in general. So fair enough my boss said I could do the cloakroom for when we had big charity functions. It worked out for a bit and although it was boring as hell, I was sitting down and not getting particulaly stressed out. However it fizzled out in a few weeks and cloakroom became rare and I have been getting shifts that start early-ish (for me lol) like 9 and work about 6 hours laying up the room for weddings etc (putting cutlery and stuff out) but with a laying up shift you're constantly on your feet. Lately I have been doing shifts 6-8 hours long and throughout the whole day have sat down for about 20 minutes collectively. They won't let me carry anything heavy or anything but I don't think they realise that standing up for so long is just as bad.

So I've been given an 8 hour shift on saturday and as of friday I will be, by my dates, 8 months pregnant. In 8 hours I will possibly get a total of 20-30 minutes sitting. I don't think that it's fair on me or bubs constantly being on my feet so I'm going to go in and say I need a job where I can rest or I'll have to leave. I don't think this is an unreasonable request. I only carried on working because I was told if I did a certain amount of hours a week I would be entitled to statutory maternity pay which I recently found out I'm not anyway because I don't work enough hours! Hmmm.

HIya Bexy, I don't think you are being unreasonable at all,
I'm kind of going through the same thing with my work, I work in a kitchen but do waitressing also, so I can be on my feet for a 11 hour shift sometimes. I was actually scared to aproach my boss about the amount of standing that I do, but they did a risk assessment on me a few weeks ago and found that by law they have to supply you with somewhere to sit down whenever you need to during pregnancy.
I'm finding that I do need to sit sometimes through the day because I have really bad back pain but the minute I do, my boss is there, nagging me for sitting!
Has your work done your risk assessment yet?

doesnt sound like your being unreasonable, and admittedly its sounds like at first your boss was trying to help and do the right thing, i just think the good intention has got lost somewhere, try talking to them and see what they say hun

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->