Worried about infection after loss and ERPC at 14 weeks PG

allmuddledup

Mum to 1boy 1girl 3angels
Reaction score
Hi. I was looking for some feedback from other ladies who have experienced the physical healing process after pregnancy loss and ERPC as I am worried about possibly having an infection. For 4 days after the ERPC I had no physical pain at all, only a slight tenderness in my abdomen on the first day. Now, since 5 days post-ERPC I've been experiencing a small twinging ache and tender feeling in my uterus. It didn't start until it was too late to go to the GP before they closed for the long weekend. The pain isn't significant enough to go to A&E and maybe it's just the normal healing process, but I am worried because up to day 5 I wasn't having any pain at all. I've nearly stopped bleeding now as well, only a little spotting since yesterday (day 6). No fever or any other worrying symptoms. Has anyone else experienced this renewed pain/tenderness several days after pregnancy loss / ERPC?

I am sorry for anyone's loss who is in a position to respond. Thank you in advance for your feedback. I appreciate any input that ladies with experience can provide as I can't get to GP until Tuesday at earliest and I don't want to spend a day in the A&E just to be told it's normal and to go home.

Hi

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my baby a week ago today but elected to have a natural miscarriage.

I had heavy bleeding and constant low level cramping for the first few days. By Day 5 both had pretty much eased up with occasional red spotting. At day 6 the bleeding turned brown and disgusting looking. The cramps have gone but I have been experiencing soreness on both sides - like ovulation pain - which I assume is my uterus starting to contract and things moving around.

This morning - day 7 - I've got really bad lower back ache and dirty brown spotting. I don't have a temperature, I'm sleeping okay and have no sickness so I assume this is normal for me.

I think everyone recovers differently. If you feel otherwise okay then I wouldn't worry and just give the doc a call on Tuesday. If your instinct says something's not right then give the hospital a call.

Hope you feel a little better soon.

Pip x

Hi, i didnt have any real pain after my erpc. To be honest i took ibroprofen twice a day for a week, just because i thought it may help prevent any swelling or possible inflamination. i feel okay but still a bit brown when i wipe, hpt still positive though:cry: just want my body back to normal, so we can ttc again.

if you can not handle the pain (doubled over in pain) i would get to a&e if not too bad or like mild period pain, try taking paracetamol and ibuprofen to help.

Sorry for your loss my dear, hopefully next nye we will all be kept awake by screaming babies!!!! xxx:hugs:

Thank you Pip and Sarah for your replies. I'm sorry too for your losses and hope you will both be recovered soon, in all regards. Your advice makes sense... As the abdominal pain I'm experiencing is only very mild and doesn't appear to be getting worse at this point I won't worry just yet. I think I was mostly anxious because I got a horrible uterine anaerobic bacterial infection after I delivered my son 5 years ago which makes me extra aware that it could happen again. The pain from it was every bit as bad as labour pains, but as that is not the case at the moment I will try to stop worrying and wait it out. It sounds like a mild amount of cramping is just par for the course at this stage. Fingers crossed that's all this is.

I wish you both the best and thank you for your replies. :hugs:

Hi i had my erpc 11 days ago now and only thing i had was some small cramps on day 5/6 and yesterday i moved in an awkward position on sofa and had a really sharp pain as if id pulled something in my stomach :shrug:

I know they said if i got a lot of pain, bleeding, fever or smelly discharge to contact my doctor because it could be an infection, but fx ive not had that.. just brownish spotting which is driving me nutty because i keep thinking its the last of it and no need for a pad then i spot again :dohh:

Hi, sorry for your loss. I had an erpc and I spotted right after but then had no bleeding after and only tenderness for a few days then it was like nothing happened. My doctor said if I experience smelly discharge and heavy bleeding to see them asap they did say I'd be tender for up to a week I think. If you are worried go to A&E because it's not worth risking it hon :hugs:

Hi, just wanted to add my own experience although I dont think it will be of massive use to you. I had my erpc (11wks) 3 days ago and haven't had any physical symptoms really like pippin said as if nothing has happened. However I was/am on antibiotics for a chest infection too so can't help thinking I might be ahead of the game in terms of warding off any infections.
I'd get an appointment with the gp once they open again if you're still a bit worried, can understand the legacy of the previous infection must bug you. Take care and I wish you a speedy recovery :hugs:

Thank you Poppy, Pippin and Suze. What Poppy experienced sounds exactly like what I have been feeling as well. Day 5, 6 & 7 I had mild cramping but it seems to have stopped now. Also, I've only had brown spotting since Day 6. It's a bit unnerving to have my body feeling so incredibly normal after such a heartwrenching loss. Seems so out of sync with the internal pain. I'm sorry that everyone here can relate.

I liked what suffolksarah had to say though, bring on the screaming babies next NYE! :hugs: Is it too early to start casting baby dust on everyone?

My partner and I are so looking forward to being able to make love again, wanting to be able to have that closeness and intimacy again. We've decided that we will only use protection until my cycle resumes then we will NTNP for a while and see what happens. I nearly drove myself crazy TTC this last year so I'm going to try really hard not to think about it in those terms for a while. I find the prospect of going through this again terrifying so am just gonna take things one day at a time and try to keep my head together for now.

Thank you to everyone who has responded.

As it happens, I do have an infection. Though I don't know that I had it a week ago when I first posted. I started getting sharp stabbing pains yesterday and today despite the bleeding having almost fully stopped (just some dark brown spotting and occasional blood clots). I've been feeling REALLY run down since everything happened but getting more so each day. When the doctor felt my lower abdomen today I nearly leapt off the table it hurt so badly and apparently I had a low grade fever which I wasn't even aware of until the GP took my temp. That was enough to convince him I have developed an infection and I am now on 2 types of antibiotics. I just hope they will clear the infection up before it causes any lasting damage. This nightmare just isn't letting up. :nope:

Hope you recover soon sweetie :hugs:

Im still spotting but bright red now thought it was a light period but havnt got a clue :shrug:

Hope you recover soon sweetie :hugs:

Im still spotting but bright red now thought it was a light period but havnt got a clue :shrug:

Thank you Poppy. I don't think the red spotting will be a period. I've read several places that you have to have no bleeding for at least 20 days for any subsequent bleeding to be your period. Perhaps your body is still trying to shed the built up lining from pregnancy or some of the placenta got left behind after ERPC. Or your body may just still be trying to heal from everything it's been through. Watch out if you get any pain at this stage. Could be the beginning of an infection like me (I hope not though!!!).

I wanted to ask, is anyone else still getting a positive HPT at this point? I am on Day 13 and still getting a faint positive. Feeling really sad right now.

Thanks for info sweetie and yes im on CD18 and i got faint positive Thurseday, im going to test again today so frustrating x

Argh! This is so frustrating. I went for a day out with my partner & son today with some gentle walking around and I ended up bleeding quite heavily (and unexpectedly) bright red. I hadn't even spotted for over 24 hours before this happened!! Fortunately it wasn't accompanied by pain. I think the antibiotics are already working their magic, but I'm not sure what to make of the sudden renewal of blood. It almost seems as if I am starting the healing process over again. Maybe I am. I dunno. I just want my body to recover now.

Anyone else out there feeling sorry for themselves at the moment? :nope:

I'm so sorry to say Poppy that if you are still getting positives then the red spotting can't be AF. From what I understand, all HCG has to leave your body before you can ovulate or have a period. I've heard of some unusual cases when someone has O'd before all the HCG was gone but it is very rare or may have even been a misinterpretation of the signs.

I am so feeling your frustration. This is the third time I've been through this recovery process and frankly I hope it never happens again... But I think I will still take the risk. We haven't quite given up hope yet.

Fingers crossed for everyone who's still hoping and still trying.

Sorry to hear that it did end up being an infection for you, and that you now have added confusion about bleeding.
I just posted a thread about bleeding because my spotting stopped about 4 days ago but today I have started bleeding quite heavily and I'm wondering what it is, if it could be af?...I'm on day 9 and still got a faint positive hpt today too.
It's all so frustrating isn't it, it's not as if we've been through enough already :hugs:

Feel like banging my head against a brick wall lol... yep another faint postive this evening when i tested... if it had been negative i would of said it was af for deffo but its not, cant go anywhere without using a pad now cos you just never know when your going to bleed :growlmad:

What a nightmare Poppy and isn't it awful that we're getting upset by seeing 2 lines...it's like the last reminder of the babies we don't have. Would you consider asking your doc to take bloods? I was thinking about that if mine doesn't go

Suze tonights test was really faint and im not sure if im getting them cos ive still got some tissue left over from erpc... ive had about 5 clots today with the bleeding so going to ring epu monday if it carries on and see what they say :shrug: maybe they'll tell me to come up then i'll ask them to check my levels x

I know what you mean about the lines i hate seeing them.. but cant wait to see those lines again hopefully in a few months [-o<

If you're having some heavy and nasty bleeds today then that might just get rid of the last of whatever is still producing hcg in your system...fingers crossed anyway!

FX For you too but with what ive read it can takes weeks for hcg to leave your system :dohh: we'll get there x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->