Would love some opinions on fairytales - uni work

Layla<3

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in, so feel free to move it, but anyway, seeing as I'm still having to wait before TTC due to uni, I've decided to look at childhood and children for my project, seeing as it's an area I'm interested in anyway!

I’m currently working on a mahoosive project, looking at fairy tales and morals and would really appreciate some opinions on a few things from parents/teachers/anyone interested! I have mixed feelings about the questions below as I see pro's and con's for each, but I would love some input from other people if you would be so kind to spare some time to reply/debate!! Thank you!!

Do you think fairy tales hold positive and valuable morals/lessons/messages?

Do you believe they actually teach children lessons…ie. wrong from right, don’t talk to strangers, behave, don’t lie etc etc

In the media at the moment, there has been a lot of negativity surrounding childhood, with the idea that children are becoming increasingly badly behaved, spoilt, unruly, no manners or respect etc causing problems in society and concerns about the future of society. (Not my opinion, just what I have found whilst researching.)
Do you feel that we should revert back to more old-fashioned fairy tales where punishment/revenge/karma etc was severe and frightening in order to scare our children into behaving?

Sounds like a really interesting project hun! Im on my phone at mo but will come back tomorrow with some opinions for you when i can type properly on my laptop :) good luck! Xxx

Thank you so much :) It is really interesting (well I think so!), but there's no real right or wrong answer. I'm an illustrator and am looking to illustrate a range of cautionary tales for today's child and parent, based on the traditions of fairy tales as well as the problems in today's society, but I am also writing an essay based on the question of whether or not fairy tale morals are important and work in instilling positive values in children.

:)

You mean like REAL Fairy tales ? or the Disney versions... i think they deffo have life lessons, but maybe the original versions are a bit too scary for small children, as in the original sleeping beauty was raped wasn't she and actually had children whilst still asleep etc... I think i'm thinking of the brothers grimm, but i'm sure they were the original authors of some of the tales, the original Little mermaid is about suicide i think, although thats not a grimm brothers tale i don't think.

You're an illustrator? I'm a writer ;) I'm trying to find someone that would be interested in illustrating a book I'd like to try and get published. If you're interested please do PM me.

On the topic of fairy tales I think they have become too disneyfied. Only the tales that haven't been made into a Disney film seem to still have a real meaning - the three little pigs or the ugly duckling for example. I think a lot of the originals are too scary and complicated for small children, but they are good for the older ones.

I guess I mean both traditional and today's watered down fairy tales...as a child I read the Ladybird books which weren't as washed down as today's but didn't contain all the traditional violence...a happy in-between! I've quite curious to know if we should revert back to scaring children into teaching them lessons like not to lie, respect people, listen to parents, don't talk to strangers etc....is simply telling your child enough, or does there need to be an illustrated story which sparks the imagination and instills the moral lesson by making a bigger impression....

I'm also just as interested in things parents say to children....like "if you lie, your tongue will turn black/nose will grow", "have you got ants in your pants?" to keep a child still, "If you misbehave, the police/bad man will come and take you away", "if you swallow apple pips, a tree will grow in your stomach" etc...if anyone can think of any more then please let me know! I've already done a range of drawings on these and would like to maybe base some cautions using them.

Marley, I shall pm you!

:)

OHhhh like when you frown, your mum tells u if the winds changes you will be stuck that way :p x

I think Fairy Tales do teach positive values. But I do not think we should try to take the punishments from Fairy Tales and apply them to real life. Fairy Tales are designed to show extremes to be both entertaining and have a larger emotional impact.

I do think in order for a child to learn from Fairy Tales they have to be able to relate to it in a real life situation.

Perhaps they didn't have a Wolf blow down their house (3 Little Pigs) but maybe they built a sand castle that didn't make it. Or a fort that fell apart when big brother jumped on it.

There has to be a real life connection.

I agree that there are a lot of troubled kids, but I don't think it's because the discipline is too light, it's because it's not there. The parent doesn't need to beat the child into submission they need only to pay attention to the child and take an interest in raising the child to be a decent human being. With positive and negative reinforcement as needed. Whether it be a time out, spanking, grounding, lecture, etc.

The deciding factor isn't whether or not you're punishing your child enough but whether you're doing it at all.

i agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

also i dont think changing fairy tales back to the more extreme versions wiould help the way children act today.

things my mother use to say to me:
crusts will make your hair curly
carrots make you see in the dark

if i think of anymore i will get back to you x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.