Would you buy specific train set, knowing that family were buying a different one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
MIL has hinted to us that she's bought Micah a train set.. So when we saw one out I pointed it my to Micah to try to get him excited and said maybe he should ask Father Christmas for one...

Well it's backfired now because he's talking about only that specific set, how he wants a train set with a tree and a 'sailor' (I tried to explain its a driver but the hat looks like a sailor and he won't budge :haha:)

The set I showed him was only a cheap one in Primark, and he's remembered it in such detail I am worried he'll say something to Nanny when he opens her (most likely better) set like "that's not the one I wanted" or a similarly tactless toddler comment. :dohh:

I probably would, especially if it was only a cheaper primark one. But my MIL is the type to say "I'm going to buy him X is this ok?" you say yes and Christmas comes round and she has bought something completely different.

I wouldn't, just because as a parent of a tactless child myself, I know he'd open MIL's and say "I already got one off Father Christmas!" and land me right in it :lol:

I personally wouldn't. I think he'll be just as excited by the one your mil has got and is probably only talking about the other one as it may be the only train set he's seen before. Also, I'd be worried about hitting your Mil's feelings.

They sell trainsets in primark??

If it was really cheap and not a huge set, I'd probably get it as a stocking filler to be opened at Christmas eve or as park of an advent calendar thing if you have that.

Really, I have learned a boy can't have too many trains :haha:

is it possible to just buy him a tree and "sailor" to go with the nicer train set? Do you think that would make it similar enough?
Maybe explain the situation to your MIL and give her the items to add to her set? :shrug:

is it possible to just buy him a tree and "sailor" to go with the nicer train set? Do you think that would make it similar enough?
Maybe explain the situation to your MIL and give her the items to add to her set? :shrug:
That's a really good idea ...you said in another thread that he likes "proper" Lego so something like this which you can put in his stocking ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Colle...F8&qid=1417009691&sr=8-1&keywords=sailor+lego

As for the tree ... if it's just the normal wooden train set types I can happily send you one I think me have a million and three in this house :haha: or the set your MIL is getting will almost certainly have a tree anyway.

Hmm, her set might well contain those things I guess, I think I'll get OH to find out more!

I wouldn't, train sets take up a lot of space as it is, so if she's already getting him one, I would think it'll already take up a lot of space itself.

I think the idea of getting a little sailor and tree to go with it is good, though:) Maybe explain to her to look for one to put with it since he's been talking about that so much?

No I wouldn't. Ds has asked for a specific cranky crane from Thomas the tank. I've already bought him a set with a cranky in but a different one. I think on the day with the excitment of everything going on, on the day they'll forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"