Would you ever consider adopting/fostering?

I looked into adoption. We went to the meetings and had an interview. Then we decided to not go that route. I suppose I would have been more interested in pursuing further if I didn't already have a child with special needs...and would have adopted a child with a special need. But, since I already have one, I knew that I was at my limit, and wouldn't 'choose' to have another. Also, the most concerning...was the wait. It was approx. 5 years. I was already in my mid-30's when we started pursuing. Anyways, I was finally able to get sucessfully pregnant, and now I have three children...and that is enough. I think adoption is wonderful. My husband is adopted.

Not at this point but maybe when I'm finished having biological children and they're grown up somewhat. I think people who do are very admiral though.

Definately fostering, this is something me and OH have had a little look into, and are actually hoping to get the ball rolling this year :) we are just in the middle of getting the house "up to code" so to speak, lol the porch decided it didn't want to be a part of the house anymore :haha: :cry:

so once we have finished fixing the house, we are hoping to get the ball rolling for next year :) the idea of being able to help a child if only for a short time seems like a wonderful thing to be able to do :) we are only young mind, 23 and 25, so not sure if that will hinder us or help us with our application! (my councils lower age limit is 21, just saying as i know some people have a 25 lower limit) x :flower: x

My MIL & FIL and SIL & BIL are all foster parents, MIL has been doing it for 15 years, before that she was a child minder and when her youngest was 15 they decided to go into fostering, they're 66 and 67 years old so now they do respite and emergancy cases but before that they were what are known as level 5 carers which means they deal with kids that have special needs or are demanding. SIL & BIL are also level 5 and before that they both worked in childrens homes, they have a biological daughter of there own but can't have to more naturally. Me and OH looked into supported lodging which is looking after 16-18 year old who have been in foster care and helping them to adjust and learn life skills , we went through the whole process, got accepted then found out I was pregnant :( I'd encourage thinking about it to look into it, it can be very rewarding :)

I'm hoping to be a foster carer sometime in the future when we have the space OH would rather adopt but I think its nice to be able to take a chld in and give them some stability and sense of a normal life eveen if they are only with you for a short time. Also given the adoption system is so complicated I doubt we'd actually geet to adopt a child anyway. :shrug:

It's something we've thought a lot about. But I'm worried I won't be able to accept an adopted child as my own and I'm worried I'd get to attached to a foster child. So hard to know what to do. Seems such a massive risk to me. :wacko:

Fostering is possible in the later years :(

I'd definitely consider it. There are so many children out there that need good loving supportive homes. I watch my girls playing and I think sometimes none of us know how lucky we are, these poor little children who are abused by their parents and step parents. Scary really. :(

I'd definitely consider it. There are so many children out there that need good loving supportive homes. I watch my girls playing and I think sometimes none of us know how lucky we are, these poor little children who are abused by their parents and step parents. Scary really. :(

Thats exactly what I think. At night after LO has his bath and is all cozy in his jambes with a full tummy and smile on his face when his daddy comes home, I think he has not a care in the world and why was he born into a family that love him and yet other children don't even have their basic needs met. So, so, so sad :cry:

I always originaly planned to adopt because after 8 years it was looking like id never have my own child so we disussed adopting.
Strangly though I never wanted to adopt a baby as most did, I felt more comfertable with the idea of adopting a child in the 3-7 type age range.
Adopting is still on the cards because we still dont know if falling pregnant was a one off fluke or not and we decided that if we do fall pregnant again and the next one was a boy that we would look into adopting a girl afterwards.
If one day I have the room to do so I woud deffinetly want to look into fostering

I think its a great thing to do, but I dont no that I could put someone elses child before mine, but I admire people who do

This is a discussion me and OH have had. OH wants to have quite a few children and I have told him I would love to adopt a child after having a few of our own to help give a child a home that really needs one. He's dead set against it though, and his mum is dead set against it too so she reinforces his view that we shouldn't do it. She thinks only people that are infertile should be able to adopt but I think thats a load of rubbish. There are loads of kids out there who need families and if someone is willing to give them a loving home, then I think that should be seen as a positive thing.

I was watching a documentary recently on adoption and last year was the lowest number of adoptions in a decade :nope: we will hopefully adopt once lo is 10+, we'll be looking to adopt a child around 4-7 years old, we could have our own but I don't think I'd love an adopted child any less, they would be my child just the same as LO is regardless of who gave birth to them.

my friends mum always fostered when we were younger, she also adopted twin boys and a little girl. my friend now fosters and has 3 little ones with her atm. i would've loved to have done it but OH has a criminal record and i dont think they consider you if you have one. xx

my friends mum always fostered when we were younger, she also adopted twin boys and a little girl. my friend now fosters and has 3 little ones with her atm. i would've loved to have done it but OH has a criminal record and i dont think they consider you if you have one. xx

that's not true about the criminal record,, it would be something that has to be discussed but it wouldn't stop you from adopting it would only make it a longer process, as far as I know the only ones that rule you out as far as I know are a criminal record for crimes against children and serious violence ones along with anyone currently serving an unspent sentence :flower:

I would love love to be a foster patent I want lots of children but I'm not bothered about having any more of my own were happy with lo. Id like to adopt from pakistain as well

that's not true about the criminal record,, it would be something that has to be discussed but it wouldn't stop you from adopting it would only make it a longer process, as far as I know the only ones that rule you out as far as I know are a criminal record for crimes against children and serious violence ones along with anyone currently serving an unspent sentence :flower:

really? i didn't know! thanks for that xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->