Would you go to church?

nikkip75

Reaction score
Would you go to church if it meant a chance of getting your kids into the best secondary school in your city?

I am church of England and OH is catholic so we just decided to keep our kids neutral but now looking into secondary schools you would have to be an active member of a CofE church to be accepted into this school.

I go to playgroups in my local church, go to events they have on, know the vicar and have been to garden parties at his house so its not like we are complete strangers to them but would it be morally wrong do you think to attend church every Sunday your main reason being school choices?

To be honest... It may be. But if you're CofE anyway.. Why not go? In all honesty I'm not religious but I would if it meant my son would benefit :/ x

I've said quite a few times to my OH about taking them but he has said well if they are going to church why can't they go to a catholic church. His mum is an active member of her church but she has never pressured me to take them. She would just be happy for them to go to any.

I do feel a bit guilty about even thinking about it!

no, I would never send lo to a religious school.

if there was a huge difference in the schools then yes I probably would, but it would need to be a much better school x

if there was a huge difference in the schools then yes I probably would, but it would need to be a much better school x

It has been graded as "outstanding" year after year and the amount of pupils who leave with higher grades is around 98%. We don't have an awful lot of choice on good school where.we live tbh. It's either the all girls school up the road were my eldest daughter has just left and im not keen on my other 2 going to a single sex school. Or a school which is quite far away and would mean they would have to get a bus and train too and from. Otherwise its an average school which is still quite a distance.

Yes I would, I don't see it as being any different to people going to church in order to be married in one. I am not religious but I did like the religious aspect of my primary school, nativity (which is slowly being stopped in non religious schools), easter service at the local church etc.

Would you go to church if it meant a chance of getting your kids into the best secondary school in your city?

I am church of England and OH is catholic so we just decided to keep our kids neutral but now looking into secondary schools you would have to be an active member of a CofE church to be accepted into this school.

I go to playgroups in my local church, go to events they have on, know the vicar and have been to garden parties at his house so its not like we are complete strangers to them but would it be morally wrong do you think to attend church every Sunday your main reason being school choices?

Idk what cofE is but if they ain't teaching word for word of bible than no I wouldn't comprise my beliefs or risk my kids eternal souls just for school. If you turely believe in your faith you wouldn't risk your kids going to a different church and learning their ways but idk how different the cofe church is from your own..

I'm Church of England and now quite used to people coming for a few months to get married, christened or get their kids into a school. I just find it a bit sad that no one continues to come...it all feels a bit wrong, if you know what I mean? None of my business, though!

If you're CofE, that's different though...:) It's the people that find it all quite funny and laugh about 'having to do time' that make me a bit sad :(

Idk what cofE is but if they ain't teaching word for word of bible than no I wouldn't comprise my beliefs
or risk my kids eternal souls just for school. If you turely believe in your faith you wouldn't risk your kids going to a different church
and learning their ways but idk how different the cofe church is from your own..

CofE is Church of England and is basically just Christianity and does teach the bible word for word. It's not hugely differerent to Catholicism tbh. We have vicars who get married and have children. They have priests who don't. Their services aren't that much different to CofE either.

I do see it as a big commitment. It's not just turning up every Sunday. It would be something that I take seriously iykwim. I don't know tho. I still feel like I would be deceiving someone along the line!

It is moraly wrong yes but thats our bug to bare and deal with our own consiance so if it ment better education for your child going to church when you dont want to is ptobably one of the least moraly wrong things we would do for our children.

No I think it would make me a hypocrite.
I am actually in the situation now where my eldest goes to high school in a year and the best one around here is catholic,the amount of people who have suggested I suddenly pretend Im religious to get him in there is shocking.

I think children learn well in any school it depends on the effort they,and their parents put in as to how well they do,not on which school they go to.

My mum sent us to church so we would get into a CofE School. Tbh i dont ever rrmember anything religious eabout the school. But no i prob wouldnt do the sane.

No I personally wouldn't as I don't buy into the whole religion thing therefore it would be quite hypocritical of me to do so

if you are already religious & want to go to church then thats perfectly fine but not just to get your kids into a certain school or to get married in a church either IMO x

Pretty sure here confessional schools have to take you in even if you arent of the confession...

If you are CofE generally and you intend to actually carry on going to the church once your child is in the school then i see no problem.

I do not agree at all with going to a church just to get your child into a school and then stopping going as soon as the child is in. That actually stops people who are committed to going to a church, for religious reasons, getting their child into the school they want their child to go to, because they want the christian emphasis from the school as well as home and church rather than because it is 'the best school in the area'. We are committed christians and attend church every week, we are heavily involved in our church and we very nearly (and i mean very nearly) didn't get our child into our church school. Now i've got to know a lot of the parents at his school i would say that 80% don't actually attend church at all now. It actually upsets me that Daniel nearly didn't get into the school because of people who went to church just to get their child in and now they are not at all interested.

My mum had a very religious upbringing in northern Ireland, when she came here she had the same decision, an excellent c of e school or a terrible non religious school, and I mean terrible. She decided to go back to church to get us in, she isn't particularly religious but we went to church up until I was about 7, I then decided I didn't want to go and due to her own experiences she didn't want to force it.

I appreciate what she did and would do the same. Yes I know it's hypocritical but my utmost priority is what's best for my children. If my children attended a c of e school I would attend that church. As it is my son will be going to a non religious school.

Me and OH are both Catholics but we have decided not to bring Bobby up a catholic as neither of us are practicing Catholics and don't go to church! We were in the beginning going to make him a catholic but it would have only been for schools and I found it very hypocritical! Me personally I couldn't go into a church and lie saying id be going all the time and bringing LO up to be a full catholic and live the catholic way just to get something from the church, it's not fair on the people who follow that faith!

I wouldn't.

I find it disgraceful that such a situation exists really, a decent education should be available to all children.

I have no issue with learning about religion at school but requiring religious service attendance for acceptance into a school does not sit right with me :flow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->