Would you go to church?

If it was something I believed in then yes but otherwise no.

I'm RC and my kids have been baptised. I don't often go to mass but that's more to do with the times not suiting than anything else. I would go more often to guarantee a place at the Catholic school but that's because it's important to me that they have a Catholic upbringing (although we don't often go to mass we do teach Harvey about God) rather than because a school has good inspection reports.

My mum and dad decided to go to church to get us into the best school in the city which was CofE. They felt like they had no other choice because the local school was awful. I had a fantastic education and although Christianity was within the school , it wasn't forced upon us. I truly believe it has made me into a well rounded person, even though I wouldn't call myself religious now.

My Dad told us we were only going to church to get into the school but he ended up being heavily involved in the church. He was the church warden for many years before he passed away. In the end, his faith meant so much to him, which would never have happened had he not gone to church to get us into school.

I suppose if you are Cof E anyway, why not go? You might end up really enjoying it and going more frequently through choice rather than just to get into a good school.

xxx

I wouldn't.

I find it disgraceful that such a situation exists really, a decent education should be available to all children.

I have no issue with learning about religion at school but requiring religious service attendance for acceptance into a school does not sit right with me :flow:

agree 100% with this. every single child in this country deserves the same opportunities

however

i would do anything for my kids and if getting them into a better school ment showing up to church then i would absolutely do it

yes it would make me a hypocrite (especially as i am non religious) but like someone has said already there are worse things we can do for our kids

I would do yeah.
I'm athiest now but I was brought up CofE (not christened), and I loved going to church when I was little, I even started going with a friend's family when my family decided not to go any longer.
There are only faith primary schools in my area: Catholic or Curch of England. If the CofE schools only accepted church going pupils we'd start going. The Catholic schools would have to be really good for us to start going to Catholic services (although tbf the Priest at the local church is a lovely man, but my experience of Catholic services and schools is not something I'd want to take Lucas to without good reason).

Some people might find it immoral but I don't see the problem. If Lucas decided he wanted to carry on going I'd carry on taking him - I've no interest in religion but he might.

I personally think so. I think it would be ok if you're religious. But seen as a church is seen as a sanctuary to those that are passionate about it (I imagine), I think its a little unfair to 'pretend' just to get into a school?

Its kind of an insult to those who do go on a regular basis because of their beliefs.

Personally wouldn't bother me, but i'm not sure its seen as morally correct to some people.

I think many many people go to church today for the 'wrong' reasons. My MIL for example only goes when times are rough. My nan is a devout Christian in the true sense of the word I think she'd be glad for people to go whatever the reason. If I went to church I would also contribute financially to the running of it and that's important aswell. So not sure I agree it would upset the regulars if people went to get into the school- yes if they went and then stopped once their children were in, but no if they kept on going.

My mum and dad decided to go to church to get us into the best school in the city which was CofE. They felt like they had no other choice because the local school was awful. I had a fantastic education and although Christianity was within the school , it wasn't forced upon us. I truly believe it has made me into a well rounded person, even though I wouldn't call myself religious now.

My Dad told us we were only going to church to get into the school but he ended up being heavily involved in the church. He was the church warden for many years before he passed away. In the end, his faith meant so much to him, which would never have happened had he not gone to church to get us into school.

I suppose if you are Cof E anyway, why not go? You might end up really enjoying it and going more frequently through choice rather than just to get into a good school.

xxx

I'm a children & family worker for a church & I have to say I wouldn't mind if someone in your position came to church in order for their child to get into a school. Half of my battle is getting people through the doors - if you were prepared to come & listen to what we've got to say I'd be delighted!! As laurajo said you might actually enjoy some of the things they do.

As C.S Lewis said “A church is the only organization that exists primarily for the benefit of non-members.” I know we get homeless people coming to services because we do breakfast, older people come to church for the company & people send their children to our holiday club to get cheap child care but we'd never turn people away!

Twinkle you've said very eloquently what I was trying to say!!

No I wouldn't. I'm atheist though and I don't think it's right to pretend you're something you're quite clearly not. Everyone knows I'm not religious, and in my mind it would be hypocritical if I pretended I was for the sake of getting my kids into a school. But that's because my beliefs are so TOTALLY different; if you're already religious, I don't think it would be as big of a deal as if it was me.

I definitely would and I'm an atheist. I know that secularism as actually something I believe strongly in but I wouldn't let my children not have the education they deserve just because of my beliefs or lack of. Because I live in Ireland chances are that my (future) children will have to attend religious schools because it's a possibility that we wouldn't have a non-religious one anywhere near us. The fact that this is actually your religion I definitely think you should do it. However how do they really know who attends regularly and would you stop then one they had gotten into the school?

xxx

I'm a children & family worker for a church & I have to say I wouldn't mind if someone in your position came to church in order for their child to get into a school. Half of my battle is getting people through the doors - if you were prepared to come & listen to what we've got to say I'd be delighted!! As laurajo said you might actually enjoy some of the things they do.

As C.S Lewis said “A church is the only organization that exists primarily for the benefit of non-members.” I know we get homeless people coming to services because we do breakfast, older people come to church for the company & people send their children to our holiday club to get cheap child care but we'd never turn people away!

This is what I love about our church, its not always just about religion its also about community and the doors are open for all.

I started going originaly just so I could marry my husband (hes catholic im not) and I ended up staying.
I now go more then hubby on the mornings before playgroup at the church.

I wouldn't.

I find it disgraceful that such a situation exists really, a decent education should be available to all children.

I have no issue with learning about religion at school but requiring religious service attendance for acceptance into a school does not sit right with me :flow:

Problem is in most cases it is the church attached to the school that has paid for most of their equipment and such(our church even paid for and built the school) and alot of religious schools are the same so thats why attanding church plays such a big role in attanding the schools.
Thats why religious schools have such a good reputaion for being above the grade curve and being good schools because they dont rely so much on government funding (or lack of) and are largly governed by the local church and community, people that realy have the best interest for the school then a nameless face from the government with stretched rescourses.

So given all that its no wonder being part of the local church and close community plays such a big role in being able to attend the school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->