• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Yeast! Help with cloth diapers!

Actually, with Country Save you don't need much detergent. Some people even use just one tablespoon. I started out using a full scoop and it was way too much. Diapers were all stripped and bleached already due to the yeast.

If baby has a yeast rash again, the diapers were not properly disinfected. And If you used oxygen bleach, they are not disinfected.

Products such as Oxiclean (or oxygen bleach) contain surfactants and sodium percarbonate which is sodium carbonate (washing soda or soda ash) and hydrogen peroxide (which kills bacteria and yeast).

Actually, with Country Save you don't need much detergent. Some people even use just one tablespoon. I started out using a full scoop and it was way too much. Diapers were all stripped and bleached already due to the yeast.

If baby has a yeast rash again, the diapers were not properly disinfected. And If you used oxygen bleach, they are not disinfected.

Products such as Oxiclean (or oxygen bleach) contain surfactants and sodium percarbonate which is sodium carbonate (washing soda or soda ash) and hydrogen peroxide (which kills bacteria and yeast).

Good luck with that.

This is precisely the kind of misinformation I have been referring to. Surfactants clean, they do not kill viruses and infections. Simple as that. Oxygen bleach and oxi clean are not disinfectants and therefore are NOT going to kill yeast. Just because something attacks yeast (ie. coconut oil), that does not mean that it will kill the infection. Don't mess around with yeast. Baby has to be in disposables (and on a prescription cream not safe for cloth) until the rash is cleared and a proper bleach soak with DISINFECTING bleach is completed.

With a proper bleach soak first and a wash with your detergent on hot afterward, the bleach is broken down effectively and rinsed away and will not harm your baby. It is normal for you detect a FAINT smell of bleach. It will go away completely soon enough.

After the soak, it is also recommended to use a bit of bleach in each diaper load for 2 weeks following the end of the rash when baby is back in cloth to ensure the yeast has been killed 100%.

I'm not lying here people, yeast is serious. Kill it, save your baby's behind, and be done with it.

Hydrogen peroxide is an ionic component of sodium percarbonate, the active ingredient in Oxiclean. Hydrogen peroxide kills yeast.

Hydrogen peroxide is an ionic component of sodium percarbonate, the active ingredient in Oxiclean. Hydrogen peroxide kills yeast.

A combination of Hydrogen peroxide and borax is an alternative for those with hard water containing a high Iron Content as disinfecting bleach can leave orange stains on their diapers. It runs the same risk as oxygen bleach as it does not completely disinfect as disinfecting bleach does. Search out its effectiveness online in relation to disinfecting bleach and let me know your results.

Then the question remains: Why would you want to use a less effective option rather than proper disinfecting bleach if it is not a necessity?

You can bleach anything but wool or silk. 1 tbsp disinfecting bleach per gallon of cold water, soak for 30-60 mins. If you have a front loader, use your bathtub. Your prints and colours will not be ruined with the proper dilution. Wash with detergent on hot in your machine after, dry in the dryer or sun/line dry, and your issues are GONE!

I'm not arguing the benefits of limited use of bleach. You are telling me I'm spreading misinformation when I'm providing you with chemical fact. You said yourself it's an alternative.

Chlorine bleach is extremely caustic, mixes with many other household chemicals to produce hydrogen cyanide, and severely pollutes the water supply. So I prefer to not use bleach, or even keep it in my home. Just like I don't use antibacterial hand soap with triclosan: adequate soap and friction remove most pathogens.

Oxiclean produces hydrogen peroxide, which kills pathogens just as well and in the same way as bleach (oxidation), but doesn't kill as wide a range of organisms as bleach does. But op wasn't suggesting that she rubbed her diapers on the underside of a hospital toilet. If it's yeast, it's likely Candida albicans, which is very easily killed when separated from its host (baby's bum), assuming the bum rash was treated with appropriate antifungal medication.

If you follow adrie's instructions, you'll invalidate most warranties on nappies and it goes against what most manufacturers recommend.

You are hypocritical. EVERY "stripping method" you've suggested in your tag is the same. Difference is, this method WORKS!

I'm not arguing the benefits of limited use of bleach. You are telling me I'm spreading misinformation when I'm providing you with chemical fact. You said yourself it's an alternative.

Chlorine bleach is extremely caustic, mixes with many other household chemicals to produce hydrogen cyanide, and severely pollutes the water supply. So I prefer to not use bleach, or even keep it in my home. Just like I don't use antibacterial hand soap with triclosan: adequate soap and friction remove most pathogens.

Oxiclean produces hydrogen peroxide, which kills pathogens just as well and in the same way as bleach (oxidation), but doesn't kill as wide a range of organisms as bleach does. But op wasn't suggesting that she rubbed her diapers on the underside of a hospital toilet. If it's yeast, it's likely Candida albicans, which is very easily killed when separated from its host (baby's bum), assuming the bum rash was treated with appropriate antifungal medication.

Seriously? OF COURSE it clears up with yeast cream and disposables that are not reused and infected with yeast.

The fact is, HYDROGEN PEROXIDE and BLEACH are both harmful chemicals, but bleach works better than peroxide, it's easier to use, and peroxide is rarely necessary. Don't twist my words around. Help this woman. Hard water is not even applicable in her case and thus, the peroxide in not necessary. Period.

This lady wants her yeast GONE, not to hear a lot of babbling about the science of this and the science of that. Neither do I. I know what works AND what will cure her problem. I have provided her with exactly how to sanitize her diapers, and you have not.

The core of the problem is using infected diapers again that were not properly sanitized. (And NO, simply washing them with bleach in the washing machine is NOT sufficient). The yeast is still in her diapers. Reusing these diapers in this case will reinfect her baby with yeast, and the whole process begins again.

If you want to search out every opinion that differs from yours and tell them ALL they are spouting misinformation, then you will get refuted with science. Sorry.

How many times have you washed yeast out of your diapers? Yeah, me neither, so we can offer suggestions. Being pushy doesn't get you anywhere.

Also don't be surprised when you sarcastically ask for my 'results' and I give you valid scientific information.

We get it. You prefer bleach! But arguing it is the ONLY way is ludicrous.

Anyway, did you know there is a News and Debates area of the forum? You should check it out. I'm done arguing here :)

Would you show us your research adrie? You're spouting a load of stuff and saying 'I've spoken to 300 wise old women who've used diapers for a combined 3000 years and they say..." but you've not once that I can see referenced any research or even attempted a scientific explanation of anything. When anybody counters what you say you repeat the same, still with no evidence or attempt at anything scientific. Try it, you might surprise us!

This is quite interesting in regard to yeast anyway -https://realdiaperevents.org/archives/cotton-prefolds-and-yeast-initial-results

Would you show us your research adrie? You're spouting a load of stuff and saying 'I've spoken to 300 wise old women who've used diapers for a combined 3000 years and they say..." but you've not once that I can see referenced any research or even attempted a scientific explanation of anything. When anybody counters what you say you repeat the same, still with no evidence or attempt at anything scientific. Try it, you might surprise us!

This is quite interesting in regard to yeast anyway -https://realdiaperevents.org/archives/cotton-prefolds-and-yeast-initial-results

The OP asked for help getting yeast out, not the science behind the how and why. I provided that.

You are asking me to provide scientific proof of why/how bleach and RLR are made for disinfecting and stripping, respectively; even though they are FOR USE on clothing and laundry and you suggest dishwasher tabs for stripping that are not even for USE on laundry. That is quite ironic. To me, that is utterly ludicrous and was not the point of this thread at all.

Read any disinfecting bleach label with sodium hydrochloride 5.25% or greater: Disinfecting bleach. Kills bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Cleans. Deodorizes and disinfects. Also, any quick search online provides the correct ratio of bleach to water 1:4.

If you want to search out every opinion that differs from yours and tell them ALL they are spouting misinformation, then you will get refuted with science. Sorry.

How many times have you washed yeast out of your diapers? Yeah, me neither, so we can offer suggestions. Being pushy doesn't get you anywhere.

Also don't be surprised when you sarcastically ask for my 'results' and I give you valid scientific information.

We get it. You prefer bleach! But arguing it is the ONLY way is ludicrous.

Anyway, did you know there is a News and Debates area of the forum? You should check it out. I'm done arguing here :)

Thankfully no, I have not battled it. But I am thankful that I know exactly what to do if I do battle it.

I am part of an online community wherein COUNTLESS women, hundred if not thousands, have battled and killed their yeast infections both on their babies' bums and their diapers. It is the ONLY method recommended because of its effectiveness, simplicity, and price point.

Adrie I'm not going to continue debating things with you because I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about bearing in mind that I am in the UK and so are lots of other parents here. I'm not talking specifically about yeast, I'm talking about washing nappies in general as I'm not going to trawl through your posts and reply to each one. If you want to get a better idea of what works in the UK, may I suggest you go to the website of one of the main supermarkets here (try Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, maybe Morrisons) and have a look at the non-biological detergents people can buy in their weekly shop? Have a look at the ingredients, perhaps do a search for 'free and clear' or whatever you suggest is the ONLY possible way to wash cloth nappies... then come back and tell us how you would wash nappies in the UK. Cloth nappies are not just for those who want to order special detergents online, they are for anybody who can get detergent at the supermarket, the bog standard detergents that we have in the UK... which pretty much all contain optical brighteners, fragrances, whiteners, enzymes, colours and/or soap. Perhaps then you will also see why people like to use cloth nappy detergents so they don't have to play around with the dose of detergent and extra rinsing.

Valuable information about Hard Water and its effects in the UK area. Also includes a chart to assess the hardness of your water and suggestions in terms of laundry, soap vs. detergent, etc.

https://www.hardwater.org/

Do you have a direct link to the suggestions about detergent please? I can't see any other than a general 'use the correct amount'. No mention of nappies or of the Terrible Terrible Effects that hard water will have on nappies or why. Not that I can see anyway.

Adrie, have you ever tried washing your nappies in any way other than the One And Only Correct Way you endorse? I assume you are unlikely to ever believe anything else but there are people telling you that the way they use works... why wouldn't you believe that? Do you think we're all lying because... I don't know, because we want everybody's nappies to stink? I have no doubt that you're happy with your nappies, the way you want everybody to use obviously works for you. However, I've done the full dose of detergent method, with and without water softener and at all different temps and it didn't work for us. What don't you understand about that? There is no 'one way' to wash nappies. I understand that, do you? Similarly, many people don't want to use chlorine bleach for a whole host of reasons. The 'solution' to that is not to just keep trying to convince them that they must or their baby's skin will fall off. The solution is just to figure out what else may work... and people are telling you their ways that have been shown to work and you point blank refuse to accept them.

I actually have been through a yeast rash once with my LO. She was on some pretty serious antibiotics for a very resistant ear infection and ended up with a yeast rash. We used Lotrimin cream on her rash with liners to keep it mostly off the cloth, and then I washed all the prefolds separately from the covers on the very hot "sanitize" cycle in my machine with oxygen bleach and my regular diaper detergent. Voila! No more yeast ever again.

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but I have heard of people having success with grapeseed oil when there are problems with yeast. Might be worth looking into!

Do you have a direct link to the suggestions about detergent please? I can't see any other than a general 'use the correct amount'. No mention of nappies or of the Terrible Terrible Effects that hard water will have on nappies or why. Not that I can see anyway.

Adrie, have you ever tried washing your nappies in any way other than the One And Only Correct Way you endorse? I assume you are unlikely to ever believe anything else but there are people telling you that the way they use works... why wouldn't you believe that? Do you think we're all lying because... I don't know, because we want everybody's nappies to stink? I have no doubt that you're happy with your nappies, the way you want everybody to use obviously works for you. However, I've done the full dose of detergent method, with and without water softener and at all different temps and it didn't work for us. What don't you understand about that? There is no 'one way' to wash nappies. I understand that, do you? Similarly, many people don't want to use chlorine bleach for a whole host of reasons. The 'solution' to that is not to just keep trying to convince them that they must or their baby's skin will fall off. The solution is just to figure out what else may work... and people are telling you their ways that have been shown to work and you point blank refuse to accept them.

I want to start off by saying that I know I come off severe a lot of times. I'm not the nicest person, and I am quite judgmental and unapologetic in how I come across. I do realize that many times, it doesn't help.

Despite what many mom's tend to believe about nappies, they are really just heavily soiled laundry, and they shouldn't really be thought of or treated any differently. For this reason, hard water minerals affect them more than a standard load of laundry as they tend to be washed more often, and are made to hold in and absorb urine and feces, which your clothing is not. Therefore, buildup is easily apparent as they don't work as effectively, or sometimes not at all.

There are no direct links I can provide (as there are COUNTLESS detergents across the globe). But I can suggest some helpful parameters for which to find a detergent that fits your wants/needs. Basically, the general rule of thumb is that any detergent, minus softeners, is okay. Just keep in mind that free and clear versions are not as strong as non free and clear; however, some mom's use free and clear versions and they work great for them. Some mom's cannot use anything with scent b/c their babies have reactions to it. Powder detergents rinse cleaner and are better for front loading machines. Unfortunately, I have never seen a powder detergent w/o scent (at least not here).

When I started CD, I used Rockin Green detergent and no softener. It is very expensive at 26 dollars per about 45 loads (for 2tbsp detergent). And the bag lasted maybe 3 months? Then I found an online community where I was informed about how weak this detergent is (as per its ingredients) in comparison to mainstream detergents. You may hear that it is concentrated--a selling point--but its ingredients prove that it is not.

Shortly afterwards I would read countless testimonials of mom's using similar brands (any overpriced cloth diaper specific detergent really) and all of the issues they tackled. And then how their issues were solved with their preferred brand of mainstream detergent.

Then I used a Free and Clear mainstream detergent (which I use to wash my LO's clothes) and suddenly had some minor stink on some inserts.

Did some more searching in my CD groups and was informed that Tide Original Powder is one of the best detergents for hard water. it also has the most built in softeners. Made the switch and haven't looked back since. Luckily my daughter has no sensitivities to it.

I don't "endorse" any one particular kind of detergent, just one that works well and doesn't have mom's tackling any of the following issues: bacteria, stink, ammonia, barnyard, rashes (and sometimes burns), and repelling. If you are tackling any of these issues aside from yeast, there is a problem with your wash routine. it really is as simple as that. Obviously detergents can vary in brand across the world, but you can find a compatible option wherever you are.

Look, I understand that it sucks to have to use bleach (chlorinated or oxygen), or hydrogen peroxide, et al., but sometimes there is no other way to really kill these invasive infections. if used correctly and within the proper dilution method, it with rinse clean and not harm any fabrics, save wool or silk.

I wish everyone the best of luck in curing their infections.

I actually have been through a yeast rash once with my LO. She was on some pretty serious antibiotics for a very resistant ear infection and ended up with a yeast rash. We used Lotrimin cream on her rash with liners to keep it mostly off the cloth, and then I washed all the prefolds separately from the covers on the very hot "sanitize" cycle in my machine with oxygen bleach and my regular diaper detergent. Voila! No more yeast ever again.

That's awesome. Maybe others mom's who fit into those parameters with their diapers and washers can try that.

Unfortunately, I don't use prefolds/covers, have a sanitize option on my washer, and I use a front loader.

I want to start off by saying that I know I come off severe a lot of times. I'm not the nicest person, and I am quite judgmental and unapologetic in how I come across. I do realize that many times, it doesn't help.

This is a massive understatement. I am having a really hard time understanding why you are so adamantly pushing your method as the only correct method to clean diapers. Could you please just offer your advice, and then leave it? It's up the the OP whether she would like to use your advice, or try other suggestions. She asked for suggestions, not to have a massive fight over one opinion being pushed as the only correct way to treat this problem.

OP: I would suggest using Lotrimin or Nystatin cream to treat the infection with disposables, and keep your lo in disposables and continue using the cream approximately a week past symptoms to ensure the infection has completely cleared before going back to cloth.

I can't comment on cleaning of the cloth, as I don't use them, but I wouldn't go back to using them until at least a week after any symptom of rash has cleared to fully ensure there is no lingering yeast. My son has had several yeast rashes, and my pediatrician has always instructed treatment for approximately a week beyond symptoms as yeast can so easily come back if even the tiniest amount is still present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvaAriasmom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->