Young and scared

Kaaatie

Reaction score
Im only 18 and I terrified about giving birth but more so because of the drips and big needles (epidural) and and the duration and less for the actually pain.
I'm only 11 weeks but I feel like they are going to fly. The first bloo test I ever got was to see if my home test was true, and I have the biggest fear of needles.

Is anyone else like this?

I'm terrified of needles of blood of anything and I was 18 when I got pregnant with my first daughter and 19 when I had her. And if I have a piece of advice go in with an open mind. Once you are actually in labour your going to be fine. Good luck. It's not all that bad I mean I've done it twice and once was 100% naturally and not by choice. If you ever want to talk you can pm me :)

I am also afraid of needles...where they have to find a vein. Let them know that you are fearful whenever you have your bloodwork. Look away and take a deep breath! You don't have to have an epidural...I never did, because the thought of a needle in my spine was terrifying! Don't worry, you'll get through it! :thumbup:

First off, congrats!

I actually have a phobia of needles, to the point of not getting some innoculations in my teens (yes, stupid i know, don't need anyone to tell me that) I conceived my first at 17, and gave birth to her at 18, i was TERRIFIED. The epidural, I knew, was out from day one, there was just no way in hell I would ever have a giant needle stuck in my back, so i knew i was doing it without much pain relief. Blood tests i dreaded and cried through every one, my OH was there and he got me through those and the thought that they were for the safety of my unborn child. I went on and had my daughter with just gas & air and a birthing pool. And conceived my son just under 9 months later, and had him at 19, again with just gas & air and a birthing pool.

You dont HAVE to have an epidural. Look into other options of pain relief :) Being scared of labour is normal for any first time mum-to-be, or even someone who is already a mum and due again!! It's a scary part of a woman's life, but trust me, it is worth every single needle, every single ounce of pain. Holding your child for the first time, incredible.

You can say NO to anything momma :) If you don't want to have needles then say no to induction, medications and an IV. Many women, young and old, give birth with out all that extra hoopla (I'm one of them). I would also find a low cost Doula to help you avoid those things.

if you can afford it getting a doula would be good
and let your birth partner know that if they see anyone coming at you with a needle to put it away unless it is absolutely nececary
my mom had me with just gas and air, they made her lie on her back and not move because she was bleeding and she point blank refused anyting but gas and air.
write a birthing plan and take it with you to the hospital so everyone will know what you want and dont want
get a water birth if you can/want and gas and air
make sure you let them know not to bring a needle anywhere near you
youll be fine im sure if you want to relax a bit read this thread https://www.babyandbump.com/labour-birth/696911-funny-embarrasing-labour-stories.html
ful of the funny things we women do with a bit too much gas and air makes it all seem less daunting

Im 35, having my first and very scared! Im bricking it about it all. I have never had intense pain before and never been in hospital as a patient. So we're all in the same boat no matter what age we are! Im a nurse and used to seeing patients in pain and bleeding etc but Im usually the one being the care provider and being on the other side of it so im not sure how i will be as a patient!

Thanks to Kaaatie for asking this question and to everyone who answered I am also 18 and terrified of needles and blood (had to look away and breathe through it when my bloods where taken lol) and its only just recently hit me a few weeks ago but I'm actually really scared of giving birth! (I don't cope with pain too well and hospitals creep me out :S haha)But reading these posts helps me know I'm not the only one who's nervous and slightly terrified!

What has also helped me was reading up about labour/birth, pain relief etc and I actually managed to watch a video of a woman giving birth, (surprisingly watching the video helped me but might do the complete opposite to someone else so you might want to skip that one! haha)

I think that reading up and learning about everything that I am going to be experiencing and also learning about the different ways to give birth and different types of pain relief available has helpeed me feel a little more prepared and less anxious then I was before :)

Congratulations and good luck to all the Mammies to be, only 18 more weeks to go for me, can't wait to meet my wee baby boy for the first time! :blue:

All you've got to think is at the end you have a beautiful son/daughter.
It's a scary thought, I'm 18 and about to have my second daughter.
If you want to chat, feel free to leave me a message, I also have Facebook which I use more often.
It's great to speak to others in the same position, and it's fab to have support!
Don't be scared to ask anything

xox

It is a tough one but as someone mentioned you don't have to have these things if you don't want them. You will be just fine!

You don't NEED to have a drip and an epidural.

im 19 and my son is a week and a half old. i gave birth to him without any pain relief whatsoever in roughly 2 hours of active labour and with no tearing or episiotomy. the only needle i had was immediately after the baby was born and it was a tiny little thing. plus, i was so jacked up on adrenaline that i didnt even feel it, despite watching it happen.

Well I personally have noticed that MANY young woman like yourself deliver much faster than someone who is 25 or 30. Also, with the epidural, try not to worry too much. They inject lidocaine into the superficial skin on your back first to get your skin nice and numb. It's like a quick little bee sting and then a burning as the lidocaine goes in. So, when they actually use the epidural needle itself, it will just feel like pressure and not sharp pain. Also, once they get the right place, they thread a TINY catheter (looks like fishing line) into your epidural space and then they take the needle out. All that's left is the thin catheter and your medication will go directly through that into your epidural space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->