Your BEST baby bargains!

Lucky you! I think the only thing we're not buying is clothes. I went a bit wild shopping for my SIL and she has a boy and a girl and she always said she'd hold onto clothes for us. Her kids grew so fast that there's loads of stuff they never even got to wear so it's all still brand new! I went a bit nuts in the Next sale so I know there's LOADS of cute little outfits just waiting to be raided!

My mum said when she had me, she was given so much clothes she had enough to change me 3 times a day! I know she's also been stockpiling...she just doesn't know I know!

We are lucky. I wish we had loads of money and could just buy all the things we wanted and liked best as everything is 2nd or 3rd hand (or technically 6th as it could've been passed 6 nephews before reaching me!) so some stuff is a bit worn, not grotty, just used. But it's the best to save the money, simply because we haven't got any! Don't think baby would have more than a couple of sleepsuits if it was all down to our own pockets!

Oh and I see such gorgeous nursery furniture, but we can't buy any of it, cheap cot bed instead...

Lucky you! I think the only thing we're not buying is clothes. I went a bit wild shopping for my SIL and she has a boy and a girl and she always said she'd hold onto clothes for us. Her kids grew so fast that there's loads of stuff they never even got to wear so it's all still brand new! I went a bit nuts in the Next sale so I know there's LOADS of cute little outfits just waiting to be raided!

My mum said when she had me, she was given so much clothes she had enough to change me 3 times a day! I know she's also been stockpiling...she just doesn't know I know!

We are lucky. I wish we had loads of money and could just buy all the things we wanted and liked best as everything is 2nd or 3rd hand (or technically 6th as it could've been passed 6 nephews before reaching me!) so some stuff is a bit worn, not grotty, just used. But it's the best to save the money, simply because we haven't got any! Don't think baby would have more than a couple of sleepsuits if it was all down to our own pockets!

Oh and I see such gorgeous nursery furniture, but we can't buy any of it, cheap cot bed instead...

I think I actually like the fact that we don't have a ton of cash to blow on whatever we fancy. I kinda get a thrill out of looking for and finding really good deals! I get palpitations everytime I log on to ebay!

Seriously, we're getting a lot of stuff passed down to us and luckily it's all in really good condition. My mum works as a health visitor so she has access to a lot of free stuff too.

My husband is useless at finding bargains. He just doesn't know where to start. I've always been the sort of person who doesn't mind charity shops or second hand places - when I studied fashion I used to raid those places as they were brilliant places for inspiration and customizing stuff!

As for our teeny tiny baby - I really don't think it will be born with any kind of fashion consciousness so I'm sure it won't mind if it has to wear something it's cousin wore once or twice. I love doing babies on a budget! It's exciting! Am I weird?:blush:

hey girls,
well heres the really sad loserish bit...i'm not pregnant yet (hoping to be by like NOW!) lol but OH and I said we want to get bits and pieces ready....lol at bits and pieces so far we have......

A Graco Vivo Travel System, including cosy toes,raincover,car base car seat and buggy, Used 3 times

A Bottle Sterilizer, not used

A Cot Matress from Ikea, not used

A Moses basket with brand new bedding

A Door Bouncer

A Mamas and Papas Highchair

All of this was free from freecycle!!! couldnt believe it...
ermmmm anyone got a baby for us now!?!? loooool,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think I actually like the fact that we don't have a ton of cash to blow on whatever we fancy. I kinda get a thrill out of looking for and finding really good deals! I get palpitations everytime I log on to ebay!

Seriously, we're getting a lot of stuff passed down to us and luckily it's all in really good condition. My mum works as a health visitor so she has access to a lot of free stuff too.

As for our teeny tiny baby - I really don't think it will be born with any kind of fashion consciousness so I'm sure it won't mind if it has to wear something it's cousin wore once or twice. I love doing babies on a budget! It's exciting! Am I weird?:blush:

Yeah it's a good lesson to be frugal from the start! We've not actually had any chance to even look for bargains though! :dohh: Having said that, we got 20% of our travel system even though we weren't paying for it! lol

I'm with you on the budget babies. I'm really not one of those girls with the Dior dummies and branded sleepsuits! And I'm getting really funny about things I haven't thought of before, like considering using cotton wool and water instead of wipes. Imagine doing it the 'old' way!

hey girls,
well heres the really sad loserish bit...i'm not pregnant yet (hoping to be by like NOW!) lol but OH and I said we want to get bits and pieces ready....lol at bits and pieces so far we have......

A Graco Vivo Travel System, including cosy toes,raincover,car base car seat and buggy, Used 3 times

A Door Bouncer

lol Hope you get your baby soon!

Yeah it's a good lesson to be frugal from the start! We've not actually had any chance to even look for bargains though! :dohh: Having said that, we got 20% of our travel system even though we weren't paying for it! lol

I'm with you on the budget babies. I'm really not one of those girls with the Dior dummies and branded sleepsuits! And I'm getting really funny about things I haven't thought of before, like considering using cotton wool and water instead of wipes. Imagine doing it the 'old' way!

Yep, sometimes the old fashioned things are the best and easiest too! Mum was saying wipes are good, but cotton wool dipped in water with a bit of olive oil does the job just as well (she swears olive oil can cure just about anything)! I want to use as many natural products on baby as I can, so I won't be splashing out on the latest lotions and potions as I'm into making my own stuff anyway.

The only thing I can't get my head around is those cloth nappies - eurgh! The idea of scraping poo...oh no...

hey girls,

A Door Bouncer

Hope you get to use it all soon! I like freecycle but I haven't managed to find anything on there - the good stuff goes really fast!

have you put up a wanted? then if youre more likely to get stuff! i wasnt even looking, just saw 3in1 travel system but she said it was being collected then the other woman didnt go so i was over there like a shot loool, xxx

have you put up a wanted? then if youre more likely to get stuff! i wasnt even looking, just saw 3in1 travel system but she said it was being collected then the other woman didnt go so i was over there like a shot loool, xxx

No I haven't :dohh:

I should do and let the freeness come to meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

I love getting things on a budget...the only new thing i have bought is the cotbed...and a few babygros.....other than that...everything else is second hand!!

hey girls,

A Door Bouncer

Just remember you will need a cot from Ikea as there mattresses are slightly different sizes!!

x

Yep, sometimes the old fashioned things are the best and easiest too! Mum was saying wipes are good, but cotton wool dipped in water with a bit of olive oil does the job just as well (she swears olive oil can cure just about anything)! I want to use as many natural products on baby as I can, so I won't be splashing out on the latest lotions and potions as I'm into making my own stuff anyway.

The only thing I can't get my head around is those cloth nappies - eurgh! The idea of scraping poo...oh no...

We already use natural cleaning and grooming products, so we'll continue in that vein with our LO.

We will also be using real nappies because a) doing so saves about £600 over the nappy career of one child and they can be reused for subsequent children, should we decide to have any, and b) it's obviously the most environmentally sound way to go. Did you know that some estimates put the decomposition time of one disposable nappy at 500 years? Even the most generous estimates say 40 years.

Washing them isn't a problem, you just flush the paper liners down the loo and throw the rest in the washing machine. Alternatively, you use reusable flannel liners and just dunk them in the loo as you flush ;-)

I can't see how doing that is any worse than dealing with disposables! And it will sure help me sleep at night. But each to their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->