Your Suggestions Please?

LockandKey

Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently expecting baby #2, and although it is still far off, I've started thinking about the birth I would like. With DD, I wanted an all natural, med free, pain free birth, that didn't happen, in fact, just about every intervention under the sun occurred, and narrowly escaped a c section. So this time around I was really hoping to get that med free, unassisted water birth I wanted so badly last time. This will be my last child, so I almost feel like the pressure is on. I've made an appointment to see a local midwife, and will be going to a nearby birthing center (7 mins away from my home!) Though I have been through the labor process before, I almost feel like this is all new for me, any suggestions? Recommendations? Words of advice? Anything will help me as I would like to start preparing now beyond my nightly prenatal yoga

I highly recommend Natal Hypnotherapy - I used their book and 4 cd programme, and did their 2 day courses (one on Natural Pain Relief, the other on Practical Birth Preparation, though I see you're not in the UK so I guess the courses aren't an option for you) and had a totally pain free and drug free labour and birth. If you are going to use a hypnotherapy programme of some variety, then you're not too early to be thinking about these things. I started practicing at 12 weeks! If you have any questions about the Natal Hypnotherapy, feel free to give me a shout :)

thank you for your answer, that was one option I was considering. My first appointment is the 15th so I was going to wait until then to see what type of classes my local birthing center offers. Is there perhaps any books you would recommend?

thank you for your answer, that was one option I was considering. My first appointment is the 15th so I was going to wait until then to see what type of classes my local birthing center offers. Is there perhaps any books you would recommend?

That sounds like a plan. Sadly hypnotherapy for birth isn't offered on the NHS here in the UK; whilst they will (supposedly) support you if you use it , they won't provide it.
The only book I had that I would recommend is "Effective Birth Preparation - Your practical guide" by Maggie Howell. It accompanies the Natal Hypnotherapy programme, but there is lots of other useful information in there, like tips for an easier and more comfortable labour, and removing the fear-tension-pain cycle, as well as some interesting info on the move of birth from something natural, normal and comfortable, to something to be feared. I understand that anything by Ina May Gaskin is worth a read, but I never had any of her stuff (though Maggie Howell refers to her often). No doubt someone will be along later with some info on her books!

ok, thank you again, I will start looking around and see what I can find :flower:

These are the books I read that really helped me get into the mindset of a natural childbirth: Birthing from Within, Hypnobirthing: the Mongan Method, and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

I didn't attend any classes, but I really started seeing birth differently after reading these books, and they definitely helped me relax and have a comfortable birth.

thank you for the reassurance! My cousin had also recommended "Birthing from Within" so I think I will definitely check that one out and look for Ina May as well since it seems to be the highly recommended one :) thank you ladies!

Congrats!

I remember your first birth - and it was identical to my son's first one, right down to the broken bones!

Well, I'd recommend you read my recent birth story (home birth turned hospital transfer). Yes, we had dystocia again but it was so minor, not even worth noting.

Good luck! You won't regret it! The previous birth was always on my mind during my 12 hour back to back natural labour... it kept me from even thinking of interventions.

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/h...rth-turned-hospital-transfer-birth-story.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->