Your unnecessary & essential baby purchases

It's all according to personal needs and what people like. Def if you love your humidifier great. I personally don't like them and when baby has a cold or is stuffed use the bathroom shower to make steam and if I want cool air then we go outside. When I was tight on funds I had to find alternatives to some things that were just conveniences.

I think overall you really have to look at your circumstances and sometimes think outside the box and get creative. You have to weigh out what you need to make your environment safe and comfortable but also what is really an affordable comfort.

My 'splash out' purchase so far was a Gro egg £21.99p from Argos... my friend really rated them and I do love it - its very cute.

Scarey thing is I always think our bedroom is SOOOOOOO cold and am always moaning to hubby about it being like a freezer but according to the grow egg it is perfect temp for baby (I am the same with the bath - couldn't believe the baby bath thermometer said it was hot when I thought it was luke warm... was testing that out too its fab! £1 from poundland!) So I know my body temp is off and so I can't be trusted to work out temps so am very glad I got the groegg and the bath thingy!

Two of my worst buys in the past have been

The Lindam night and day feeding system - Total rubbish, takes ages and TT CTN bottles don't fit! Keep with the jug of hot water.

Bumbo - My son hated it. He was also quite a chunk and didn't fit in it for very long but when he did he used to pop himself out of it.

The best buys were -

Fisher price infant to toddler rocker chair - My son loved this chair. The great thing about it was it is a lot higher than traditional chairs which is great if you have a draughty house (like I did).

Grobag - Can't be without these. No more kicking off covers and getting cold in the night!

worst thing was a bumbo, my son had chuncky legs so only fit for a week!

best buy changing mats for upstairs and downstairs, and a baby box for both too, keeps everything at hand.

I was wondering about the bumbo. Glad I never got one. Our little guy has super thighs!

bumbo for us was a really good buy considering my 2 year still fits and sits in it regularly to watch TV LOL! (she can obv get herself out now)

waste of money for us..

steriliser and bottles/breastpump
changing station
groegg omg crap! always orange or red no matter what
grobags
baby uggs lol
the winnie the pooh lightup station

best buys..

swing
jumperoo
good monitors (i used them everynight for aout 20 months)
swinging crib instead of moses asket (it lasted us almost 6 months)

I think I should add that vest/body extenders have been really necessary for my LO since he has such chubby thighs. None of his cloths would fit if I didn't have them! Also, a wet bag is awesome. We cloth diaper so it's a must for us but think of all those times when thy spill a mug of water or throw up on you or themselves. You'll be happy you had a water proof bag to store it in until you get home! :)

:flower:What a brilliant thread, I've just been catching up from the very beginning and have started to make my lists. As a first time mum to be, this is so helpful!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed and keep them coming! :thumbup:

Really useful to see what's good and what's not as a first time mum! Thanks.

Best thread ever!! Thankyou so much :) This should be sticky!! I'll be watching it all the way until I give birth :) x x

This is a great thread! Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I'm sure it will be extremely helpful!

The breastfeeding pillow was a complete waste of $- we used it twice and then I sold it!

The best is receiving blankets- we use them for blankets, swaddlers, burp rags, bumpers, bottle props, puddle pads...

Awesome thread for any new mum2be, My list just got hacked to pieces! Thanks so much! :flower:

i have just read through the whole thread, is a good thread, i agree with an earlier post that stores like mothercare make you think that a baby needs all these items, when really they need very little. i remember my widwife also told me i needed things such as a steriliser she knew that i was going to breast feed, she had never had any children, why did i take her advise? waste of £30

things i really didnt use
moses basket and stand (co slept and baby didnt like it)
baby bath (baby shared my bath i found it easier on my back and it was nice)
breast pump (i was always with my baby so didnt need to express)
bottles
lots of clothes didnt get worn
changing table (didnt use babys room so just sat there)
cot (we co slept my LO wouldnt sleep in a cot anyway she ended up in a single bed at around 10 months)
bumbo (my child was great at sitting with out it)
baby moniter (baby was always with me)

buggy (i should have bought one nice one and stuck to it, i have had 5)

this time my list is
6 sleep suits
6 body suits
2 sleepbags
hat
coat
jumper
socks
buggy
car seat
muslin cloths
a few new blankets (but i still have my daughters)
i dont plan on buying baby a bed till they are proberly around 6 months
i dont have space for it atm, and baby wont be using it right away anyway
i dont plan on finding out babys sex so i will get baby pink or blue clothes when they are born

the only thing i need to get now is a buggy as i hav evrything else on my list

some people have said they bought wipe warmers? :wacko:
i wont be lol if i feel like treating baby to some warm wipes il soak cotton in warm water

Great thread. If I didn’t have the things given to me I would have spent a fortune and got half the things you ladies have said a no no to :D. Thanks :D

To be honest I think I've been very very lucky when it comes to the amount of money I've spent I think me & OH have spent on buying the baby items in person and new about £200 :). bargain for the things we've been given and got 2nd hand :). Yes it's take the fun out of going to baby shops etc and getting it myself but I still always end up going to Mothercare or Babies R Us just to have a look and think of peanut being here! Haha..

I always wanted to buy myself a really expensive pram but thought like someone said on here LO only needs, love, food, warmth and they'll be fine :)!

The things I've been given well I payed £250 for the following that are second hand:

Moses basket & stand
Hauck stroller
Graco Quattro Tour travel system
inflatable bath
blankets
play gym
2 safety gates
top n tail bowl
bath box
baby walker
few baby toys

All the essential really for the first few months. For £250 I think I've got a bargin, yes two children have used them and the graco pram isn't 100% but I'm due in December so I won't be going out much, due to the weather and the ammount of black ice we get around my town!!! :(..

The things I've been given for free are loads of 0-6 clothes and blankets, a play gym and a few toys for the cot.

My MIL is getting the baby monitor. My parents are getting the cotbed and bedding.

The only things I've bought are:

Steriliser (Asda Baby Event Sale) Tommee Tippee electric £16
4 boxes of Pampers Sensitive Wipes (Asda Baby Event Sale) £12 for 790 wipes
0-3 months and 3-6 months babygrows and bodysuits. In white (we're expecting a surprise:D!)
I got a load of vouchers for huggies nappies sized 1 and 2 and I think I payed about £10 for 6 packets. Which I though was okay and I know they'll be out of them in no time but my friend is due in April so she can have them..
Every single bottle I have got (besides the tommee tippee £20 set free I got with the steriliser) I have got for free from competitions or vouchers. A few are newborn but I think I've got 3 at the bigger size.
I've ordered from Mothercare the Fisher Price Smart Stages 3-in-1 Swing. Which was £100 and OH had a heartattack when he saw the price but once he saw the pictures of the different stages he came round the idea of it being very practical.
I'm hoping to breastfeed but got the steriliser just as back up and I can always sell it on because it wont have been used :).
So I think I've done with getting things. I'm just waiting for my growth scan in November to buy well use my M&S £25 voucher and get a few outfits for peanut to wear for the Christmas and OH birthday events that we'll be going to. Plus with not knowing what sex we're having we've got the cute red outfits to look forward to get :)..
I know presents will be clothes and hopefully money as me & OH want to open an account for them and every birthday and christmas etc money will go into the account for when they are older..

Eeeeeek.. getting very excited now :D. I want peanut here now but so looking forward to the busy christmas' to come :D. woo. :D:D

I dont know whether someone has mentioned but it DEFO worth having a couple of dummies / soothers in the house even if you dont want to use them if your LO screaming the house down they are worth a million pounds to settle your baby guaranteed it would be when shops closed so couple of pounds and have them in the back of your cupboard!!! I was sure i wasnt using them but my LO loved them only when he goes to sleep and too tired.

Dummy strings - so you dont lose your dummy when out shopping save cash!

Fisher price 17 min long mobile music (battery powered to get your baby to sleep)

Calpol - suitable from 2 months plus but has 3 year shelf life in individual packets (never know when you need it)

Baby scissors and nail file and lots of cotton wool !

Although this is my first I have taken care of all of my nieces and nephews from the time they were only a week or two old so for a first time mom myself I do have quite a bit of experience.

I would say the neccessities would be:

If have the room then just buy a crib and keep beside your bed temporarily till old enough to move into nursery, otherwise you will need a moses basket or bassinet of some kind for the first few months.

If you plan on bottle feeding, spend the money on good bottles and also you don't need to worry about buying a sterilizer or bottle warmer. To warm up a bottle can just put in cup of hot water and run hot water facet over it for a moment and to sterilize can just put in dishwasher which sterilizes already for you or if don't have one of those can just boil in pot for a couple min both these work just as well and will save you money.

Car seat of course is essential and a stroller is a lifesaver. If can get a travel system that is even better.

Playmats and bouncers I have never known to really do much of anything or be of much interest for very long. Out of all of my nieces and nephews not one of them liked either of these items, they were much more happy being propped on a pillow on the floor with someone dangling a random toy in front of them. Either that or just being in their carrier and rocked.

Clothes I wouldn't reccomend buying many newborn outfits at all. I only have 5 in my closet because they grow out of this size so quickly they aren't worth the money. i would worry more about 0-3 month than anything. Also when it comes to clothes look at the clearance racks aand try to plan ahead and buy for next season. My husband and I have clothes all the way up to 24 months so far and haven't paid more than $3 for a single item. Have even managed to find a very pretty Christmas dress for only $2 that normally costs $50. It sometimes takes some looking but these deals are out there. And all these clothes have been purchased new they are not second hand. We haven't paid full price for an item yet and we are overflowing with clothes in the closet and dresser.

Diapers tend to be cheaper if bought in bulk. If you have any discount warehouse stores check them for diapers and wipes. And you can never have too many wipes because you will find you will be using them for everything and not just for changing diapers so stock up.

Also a great suggestion my mom gave me is to buy an item every grocery shopping trip about every other week. So every shopping trip we have bought one bottle of baby wash, one bottle of lotion, or one jar of diaper cream, ect. So that now we have plenty to last us for a little while and it will be one less expense to worry about for a bit once LO is here.

Burp rags and recieving blankets are deffinitely a neccessity. And the more you have the better.

Hand Sanitizer is another neccessity. You will always want this around especially in the beginning. Also much cheaper to buy a larger bottle of it then just keep refilling a smaller bottle to carry aorund with you.

Hope that this helps you a bit. If have any questions feel free to contact me.

Love this thread! Only skimmed the first few pages for now, but intent to read and write down ALL later. But I'm confused: what's a dummy? :) Thanks! xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->