Your unnecessary & essential baby purchases

Love this thread! Only skimmed the first few pages for now, but intent to read and write down ALL later. But I'm confused: what's a dummy? :) Thanks! xo

I just wanted to say my due date was feb 7, 2011 like yours but a year earlier. I just can't believe how fast they grow. Enjoy every moment b/c its over so soon!

Ahh thank you wtt! haha. I was like o_O because I've learned a lot of the European, etc. lingo since joining BNB but that was one I never quite caught the meaning of while I've been stalking around. ;) Slow learner, over here!

And aw, how wonderful Siegal! :) And thank you - I'm so excited. Congrats on your beautiful LO!!

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL
Bouncy seats! Invaluable, especially with twins :D
299244_2021941987247_1204863376_31811312_738042_n.jpg

When I had LO last year I refused to waste money as I had a loft full of unused items we had bought for the 3 girls when they were younger - such a waste of money!
I bought a 7-pack of babygros and same of vests. Washing machine is on everyday so this does us fine. Got a few all-in-one outfits but knew we would end up with loads from gifts. Only bought a couple of cot sheets - one is on and the other is washed straight away.
Always bathed my babies in the big bath as I feel confident in being able to hold them and wash them (just have to make sure everything is to hand!)
We got given a pram which I hated but it did us for the first 6 months at which point I knew I would be getting a stroller anyway.
I never needed many muslin cloths but then LO wasn't a sicky baby, my older girl was and I needed loads as she was always puking!
One thing I swear by is those baby scissors - I have about 4 pairs as the kids keep taking them and I have to buy another pair at which point all the other pairs turn up!
LO had a plain bouncer but I will get a vibrating one this time as he loved our friends lullaby bouncer.
Jumperoo was well used as he got older but I bought a Galt play ring and he only sat in it once. He is quite long-legged and he just seemed a bit squashed and it was impractical as you have to pile toys on top of them.
I used plain white pillow cases instead of buying pram/moses basket sheets. They fit quite well and didn't slip as much as the sheets!

I'll second the pillow cases as moses basket sheets idea - SO simple, and a lot cheaper. They just slip on and off when dirty and are just as good as fitted sheets. My SIL used these with her LO and I'm planning on doing the same with mine :)

I have 2 wipe warmers and used them only for the first 2-3 months. Also I've tried different kinds of bottle warmers and they all sucked. So I used to torn on the hot water and put the bottle underneath and it would warm up really quick. The walker we got DD she doesnt use much either.
A big use for me is the spinning drying rack for the bottles and nipples and stuff. Also I have 2 organizers for her clothes/diapers/towels/creams etc that I use all the time.
DD used her jumperoo for a while too, 5 months to about 12 months. Her swing is still in good use, she used to take naps in it as a newborn and now I put her in it when she watches TV :) I recently bought her this learn and play table by Fisher Price that she loves. She also has a bag of blocks that she keepseherself very entartained with.

Things i could of not bothered with really just the baby bath, and 0-3 clothes as we were given so many as gifts but then we didnt go overboard with the buying in the first place. Should we of bought a moses im sure id be putting that as he looks big for his swinging crib already and theyre bigger.

Invaluable has been the breathing monitor, dont think id sleep without it on. His bouncy chair in the early days. Changing unit. Sleeping bags. Dummy and a sheepskin rug he loves to be on. Now hes a bit older he loves his playgym x

loving this thread, in a tough climate it makes sense to economise and recycle :)

Craigslist and freecycle- also find a GOOD consignment/thrift store- the things you know will only be rarely used or for short periods of time only make sense to get second hand!

It's so hard when you're having your first, I ogled over everything in the shops you want everything to be perfect, only the best, i didn't want anything second.. I've now just bought pretty much his entire 3-6 wardrobe seconds,he's growing so fast hes worn some of his 0-3 once befor it was packed away. I so wish I could go back to being pregnant and buy again cos I dread to think what we spent and I reckon I could do it for a third of the price knowing better now.. just a little word of advice from someone who's been there x

Amazing thread!

I wasn't ready to make a "need/want" list, but after five seconds on this thread I started compiling one and after reading the whole thing I think I'm done (or close to it, haha).

Thank you so much for this! I'm a new-mom-to-be and was completely in the dark about what to get. I feel so much better now hearing all you ladies' advice.

What exactly are baby vests? I know about the body suits.

Since you're American, I'll translate! haha What those in the UK call a vest is what Americans call a Onesie (long or short armed bodysuit, no legs).

Finally i understand now. I've been googleing baby vest and i am literally getting like baby boy vests. thank you so much

Thanks for bumping! Glad it has been helping so many people! I wonder who I can ask about putting a stickie on it...

I didn't read through the whole thread... my eyes got tired. But I think a good thing to have around is hand sanitizer. I sat it by my front door on the bar, that way when family came by to visit baby ( he was a bit early, and had weak lungs) they had to use it before touching. I put out different brands, and even some for sensitive skin to suit everyone.

Good

Muslins, i took them everywhere, they were handy for bloody everything, sick, dribble whip out the muslin!

Baby carrier, honestly, for trips to the supermarket etc, its easier than the hassle of a pram and she never once fussed in it.

A nightlight that attachs to her cot, on bad nights, it really soothed her.

A special blanket, its hers, she knows that blanket means sleep time, it soothes her when shes crying and she loved being swaddled in it

Bad

Bottle warmer - useless.
Nappy creams - we now use vaseline, its magic.
Far too many clothes - Some only worn for an hour :cry:
Shoes - I still buy ones she never bloody wears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->