1 breast feed a day?

BethHx

expecting #2
Reaction score
Hi all.
I am planning on breast feeding for the first week then going into formula for reasons that will take too long I explain.
Will I still be able to do one BF a day? Or would my supply stop?
I'd still like to do a morning breast feed and possibly one in the afternoon but the rest formula.
Is this ok?

(Please don't tell me to see how I get on as I may wish to do longer as I already know what I want to do) thanks x

I think it really depends on your body. I don't think I could have done this, because I was one who needed a lot of stimulation to keep the milk flowing.

I would guess that your best chance would be to decrease the feeds gradually when you switch to formula instead of going right from breastfeeding every time to just once a day. That way you will be able to see how quickly your supply will drop and whether you have a chance of maintaining that one feed. I would guess that putting baby to the breast twice a day - morning and evening - would give you better chances than just once.

Most women's supply doesn't settle until 6 weeks or so, so you might have better odds of keeping one feed a day if you breastfeed for a little bit longer. I don't say this to persuade you, just to inform you that one week might not be long enough to teach your body what you expect from it.

One other thing to consider is that your baby may not want to go to the breast at all if he or she is more used to bottles.

Good luck with it.

I think most women would struggle to maintain supply for one feed after just a week. I agree that 6 weeks or maybe a little more would give you a much better chance and definitely decrease feeds slowly if only for your own comfort! Could you consider expressing for the first few months, as an alternative to just stopping for the other feeds?

I also agree that one feed a day might be problematic for your LO. We were told to top up our oldest with a bottle and by the time she was three weeks old, she refused the breast completely.

I've been doing combi-feeding since the beginning (she's 5.5 weeks now) and it's fine. No problems with bottles or breast but I still hate putting her on the breast, so I usually express and feed her that way. I have started storing in the freezer. I wonder if you can do something where you express each time she gets formula to "build" your supply and get it going, then slowly decrease once it's established? Just an idea, I don't know if it would work. If you're like me and it doesn't matter whether you have her on the boob or not I'd highly recommend expressing. After my milk came in around 2-3 weeks I started being able to pump enough for her and I started officially storing late last week with the freezer bags. My plan is to pump until 12 weeks and then just feed from storage. But I don't want to do bf'ing past 12 weeks and will phase it out after that, so slightly different situation.

I pumped for 8 weeks with my daughter and it was so tiring! I really didn't enjoy bf and got mastisis twice. I also needed medication which isn't suitable whilst bf but I am very aware of the benefits that's why I want to do one a day this time.
I won't be devastated if it doesn't work as I have gone into this pregnancy with an open mind as I was dr estates when it didn't work with Isabelle

Thanks for the advice xx

I had an amazing supply with dd. I was able to pump 6ounces in less than ten minutes but don't want to go down that route this time x

I think it might be possible...but you will be in a lot of pain since your milk will be in abundance at that point.

I fed my first little girl once a day (in the evening) when i got home from work after I had to switch to formula. Im not sure how much of a feed she got but there was definitely still milk there and enough to get her off to sleep.

Edited to add: I did drop feeds gradually though.. or else i think it would have been a little painful during the day at work and i didnt have the option of pumping at work or anything.

I am willing to slowly dwindle it down :)
Obviously if bf goes well this time I will continue to do it just keeping an open mind x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->