16 week checkup???

Nicky1982

Reaction score
:shrug:Anyone know what happens at the 16 week check up? I have mine on Tuesday and I really hope I get a scan again!

I'm under the care of the NHS (UK)...

i never got a proper scan from the tech team at 16 weeks but i did get a mini one from the widewife as they had a portable trolley scanner so they found that the easy way to check each heartbeat. i got proper scans from the tech team at 12, 20, 24, and will get at 28, 32, 36. every hospital is different but this is our UK one xx i had to push for the 24 week one under the NICE guidelines recently updated.

At 16 weeks my consultant did do a scan but nothing like the 12 week scan. It was more of a 30 second.. here is one heartbeat, there is the other. She was more interested in making sure they weren't sharing a placenta & checking the position of the membrane.
She basically listed my care plan, gave me future scan dates & gave me my section date too & also outlined the risks of having a multiple pregnancy.

Don't expect too much, these people see twin pregnancies all the time so nothing exciting.

If you have any questions, make sure you write them down, it can be a bit of information overload in the first appointment too.

Hope this helps

Mel

mel is right when she says dont expect too much, at 16 weeks i went in with so many questions only to be told 'it depends' it depends' well we will have to wait and see on that one! mels right although we see a twin pregnancy as a major difference the midwives and consultants dont really (am saying this from a non identical perspective) i am now just focussed on just making sure my BP is right, that i eat and drink right and the babies are growing well. in terms of the end game i have not gone elective c section so in terms of the decision for natural V c section i realized none of those decisions will be made before my 34/36 week scans.

still always go with questions and well worth reading the NICE guidelines on care as hospitals are still playing catch up on what the twin pregnancy requirements should be. this was done with TAMBA another place worth joining for information and also discounts

xx

i never got booked in for a 16 week appointment but think thats because im under consultant led care?? but i did have an appoint at nearly 15 weeks with the midwife and they just checked bp and urine and checked the heartbeats :) was simple and we was in and out in 5 minutes... well more like 20 by the time people had badgered me into coming to the twins and more meetings !! xx

Thank you so much ladies! I'm really excited so I can't wait to see them again. I'm under the care of the multiples team at the RVI hospital in Newcastle so I hope they do do it again at 16 weeks. The last time we were there which was 12 weeks when we got the news that we are having twins. I'm sure everyone else experienced the twin shock at that one but the first scan was a shock and the second that we had the same day was more enjoyable (was a strange mixed up day). x

How did it go Nicky? Did you get to see your babies?

Mel x

Hey Mel,

No I didn't unfortunately but I did get a free flu jab ha ha! Then next time I get to see the wins in the 20th of Dec. I'm glad I didn't get a scan in the end as my partner couldn't make it as he was working down south for the day and he would have been really disappointed. I managed to nab his sister for the jolly to the hospital so at least I wasn't there on my own.

Looking forward to the next scan, counting the days down to find out what sex the twins are!

Hope you are well.
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back