2010 Bumps & Flushes & Dimples

Morning Pip!

I just put covers on my mattress yesterday! Good timing. I got a pack of disposable mattress protector pads from mothercare. They are quite small so only cover patches of the bed if that makes sense? They are meant to be absorbent with a waterproof backing. I'm not 100% convinced but tbh they are much nicer to sleep on than plastic sheets.

I think my NCT lady said always night time are the best to use. I've got a mixture; some always and some proper maternity towels from tesco. I'll just see how they go. Apparently we need lots as we will bleed for 4-6 weeks post labour.

Not sure about the bra question.

:hugs: to all!

F&C, the MW at our class told us only to use proper maternity towels in the beginning as always e.g. absorb too much and the MW can't see what is coming out. Sorry if TMI.

Are these the ones you got, F&C?
https://www.mothercare.com/Motherca...1/278-2310712-3923561?_encoding=UTF8&mcb=core

Another question. Sorry I am full of them this morning. How can the MW tell if LO is engaged or not? Just from feeling your tummy or do they do an internal examination? When do the internals start?

I feel like I have now been pregnant FOREVER! :cry: but the thought of that first cuddle with both my boys is like a carrot dangling in front of me keeping me going :happydance:
I honestly can't believe you're still pregnant!!! :hugs:

MrsMils- hope you find the NCT class on BFing useful today, I never got to have my BF class as K was early which I was really gutted about (I remember crying in labour that I couldn't have a baby because I hadn't had my BF class!!!!). I think it all would have been much easier if i'd had even a basic knowledge of BFing.

Claire- how do you think Jac will cope with new baby? Is he old enough to understand and get excited about it all yet??

Ann enjoy your time with the hubs, our last weekend before K arrived was really lovely cos we went out for lunch one day and dinner the next and did some mammoth shopping- i'm super glad we did now cos who knew it'd be our last 'just us' time!!!

Lia hope you're ok, it's hard getting internet time isn't it!!! xxxx

1. The MW mentioned that it is a good idea to put some plastic covers in your bed in case your waters break. Has anyone done this and if so, what have you used?

2. Where is the best place to get maternity towels from and which ones are best or no good at all? How many do I need?

3. If I buy some nursing vests as recommended earlier on the thread, do I also need some nursing bras? Or can I wait with the bras until the milk has come in and I know what size I need?

4. I keep reading about muslin squares. Where is the best place to get them from and how many do I need?

Hey Pip :hugs:
1. I didn't bother... my waters broke when I was watching tv anyway. But the bed mats are a good idea, you'll use them post birth anyway to save you staining your sheets so they're a good buy. I'd put them under your sheets before the baby in case your waters break, and then sleep on them over your sheets after baby- I ruined my reallllly expensive egyptian cotton white sheet the first night we were home :dohh: I had bed mats too but never thought to use them for that!

2. Definitely use maternity towels at first and not sanitary ones... they are softer on top and more padded and trust me, you'll want that padding down there ifkwim! It's like sitting on a nice cushion. Also if you've had stitches you deffo want mat towels. I used the Mothercare ones at first (the big 48 pack) then when they ran out I switched to Boots own brand maternity towels after seeing them recommended on here, and they were fab too- thinner than the mothercare ones and really soft. My bleeding which was SO heavy for two weeks has now pretty much stopped (like a super light period now) so i'm just wearing panty liners- at my NCT classes the teacher said the 4-6 weeks is OTT in her opinion, and the heavy bleeding which requires mat pads should be gone within a few weeks. Sorry for the tmi!

Oh and I recommend buying the mothercare sanity towel disposable bags... good to have in the bathroom to save OH from having to see anything he doesn't want to in the bin!! I put my pads in the bags then into the nappy bin with the nappies. Oooh and one other tip... buy some Natracare feminine wipes (Mothercare sell them)- they are SO much nicer to use down there after the baby when toilet roll can feel really harsh, they're organic cotton with no chemicals in so wont give you thrush or anything.

3. Definitely don't buy bras till your milk is in and settled! My boobs have gone monsterously huge and then back to small again and are now settled at 2 cup sizes bigger- they change so much even day to day for the first week or so, and so i'd just stick with the maternity vests which are super comfy for as long as you can, then go shopping for nursing bras. I lived in my vests for two weeks solid, I only wore a bra and top for the first time 3 days ago!

4. Muslin squares are the same from anywhere. I got mine from Mothercare. In my opinion they are like marmite- if you love them, you LOVE them and can never have too many!!! I've got 24 (12 patterned, 12 white) and they are all round the house and in constant use. I just use them for everything... K is a sickly baby anyway so they're used for burping but also he has them to lay on in his cot, buggy, moses basket, bouncy chair, changing table.. much easier to bung one of them in the wash than change all the sheets!!!

Oops that was a mammoth reply, hope it helps! xx

Thanks for the info re sanitary towels! Thank goodness I bought some proper ones before our tutor told us about always! I've packed 2 packs of the tesco ones in my hospital bags but no doubt will run out really quickly.

Thanks Yas about the tip re the bed mats. Yep Pip, they are the ones I bought. I expected them to be like bed sheets but they are literally mats. Mine are currently under my sheets but it's good to know I can use them after labour as well as they come in packs of five.

Pip, how funny, our minds must be linked or something as I asked my dh the exact same question about the baby's head engaging this morning! I would be interested to know too. Tbh I have no idea how the mw knows what is what anyway. She told me she tries to feel the spine but I can't feel any bones just lumps.

Thanks Yas re my dh. We had a lovely time yesterday. I got all dressed up and felt a million dollars and he kept complementing me which made me feel so loved!! The sun is out today so when he gets back from his run we can just relax together in the garden. Maybe get the paddling pool out to stick my feet in and maybe have a BBQ!

How you feeling at the moment Moggy? Are things manageable?

Hope Lia is doing well.

:hi: Claire, Mrsmils, Costgang, Brigitte and Dede!!

Morning ladies,

In an effort to get more organised and ready for LO's arrival, I have a few questions:

1. The MW mentioned that it is a good idea to put some plastic covers in your bed in case your waters break. Has anyone done this and if so, what have you used?

We used pampers bed mats - less crackly than a shower curtain IMO

2. Where is the best place to get maternity towels from and which ones are best or no good at all? How many do I need?

For these you need lots! Before the birth in case of waters going we have the always envive that are on offer everywhere at the moment, for after the birth have 2xpack of 10 boots maternity towels - the slim line ones cos I found the bigger ones like nappies last time, after they run out I am going onto nighttime sanitary towels - you choose which you prefer...Get plenty though!

3. If I buy some nursing vests as recommended earlier on the thread, do I also need some nursing bras? Or can I wait with the bras until the milk has come in and I know what size I need?

I would get measured for a nursing bra at 38 weeks just in case then again after bubs is here and you milk comes in, you never know what wil happen so best to have one before in case....I had two bras last time as they came in a two pack and then used vests, after milk came in and setled I found my size still fluctuated - but - you do find new debranded mothercare bras on ebay so worth keeping an eye out - the vests you just buy your normal size (get one in the next size up as it is comfier early on to have the looser fit around the under bust. Mothercare do my fave nursing vests cos they wash SO well!

4. I keep reading about muslin squares. Where is the best place to get them from and how many do I need?

I got mine on ebay, theyre junior joy ones and I bought a dozen white with Mogster and this time we bought a dozen blue - will find a link for you...

I think that's it for now, but I am sure there will be more questions later. :blush:

Any more questions ask away as I have nowt to do whilst waiting and waiting and waiting :coffee:

Muslin squares: https://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&...=junior+joy+muslin+&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Bed Mats: https://www.mothercare.com/Pampers-...1/277-7516361-2282132?_encoding=UTF8&mcb=core

Maternity pads: https://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Ultra-Slim-Maternity-Pads-12-Pack_21513/

https://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/st...Type=2&searchTerm=always+envive&newDepSearch=

https://www.boots.com/en/Always-Maxi-Night-Towels-12-pack_870542/

Ooh and pop to local pound shop for a box of nappy sacks - usually about 250bags for £1, theyre fab for disposing of the pads afterwards!

Pip - I didn't get plastic covers but had planned to!

Mat towels - at least 30 - I had a bloody show and was leaking a lot of that before labour even so I did use my first three packs of 10 - I used boots and have just moved onto tescos now, all of which are fine. The hospital gave me some but they weren't sticky. Now starting to tail off a little so may get away with moving to pantyliners.

Muslin squares - cheapest I have found is tesco, white ones pack of 6 for something like £3.

Engagement I think is from feeling tummy / pelvic area - I didn't have any internals until I went in to get started.

Bra's - my maternity bra's were from m&s so had feeding straps anyway - just bought some vests from mothercare and planning on using those til I figure out my boob size.

Ann - you do right enjoying time with the hubs, I am glad I managed to first.

Yas - I keep sneaking on but staring at him out of the corner of my eye missing him :haha:

Hello moggy and everyone - hope you are having a nice weekend. Bobbed to mothercare this morning and got my vests so now ready to take on the world with less boob leakage - DH keeps calling me Daisy the cow....:dohh:

We had a delivery yesterday and because I am so excited, I will fill you in what I have been up to this afternoon...

Attachments

• P8080131.jpg
    P8080131.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2
  • P8080133.jpg
    P8080133.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 3
  • P8080136.jpg
    P8080136.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2
  • P8080140.jpg
    P8080140.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 3
Im thinking playing with buggy and resting your tootsies in red/blue socks!

I love the wheels, same as Nik has I believe - excellent taste :thumbup:

Im thinking playing with buggy and resting your tootsies in red/blue socks!

I love the wheels, same as Nik has I believe - excellent taste :thumbup:

They are actually OH's wee tootsies in his Superman socks. :)

Bump progression and a close up of week 36. :flower:

How is everyone else's bump progressing? Haven't seen any bump pics from you apart from Moggy's for ages. :coffee:

Attachments

• Weeks 10-36.jpg
    Weeks 10-36.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 36 Weeks.jpg
    36 Weeks.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics