2010 Bumps & Flushes & Dimples

Moggy - nicely putting on weight then! :happydance:Thats mad that Mogster was that weight at 11 weeks!

Lia - I hope the trip went well!:thumbup:

Just been to the midwife, the baby has turned sideways (almost back to back), she says thats why my SPD feels better and I'm able to walk again, because its head is in a different position. Its 2/5ths engaged (which is apparently better than 3/5ths, I thought it was the other way around!:dohh:), booked in for a sweep next Tuesday and then would be induced the following tuesday (42 weeks), no earlier. REALLY hoping it makes an entrance before then, I don't think I can bear waiting that long... :nope: Got to get on my ball to try and turn the baby back around and get things moving. DH has already been informed that we'll be DTD tonight!!:haha:

Just on quickly whilst I have the laptop! Glad you are all doing well.

Great news about the sweep being booked in Lydia.

Still no news from me I'm afraid. Like Lydia, I'm bouncing away! xx

MrsMils and F&C, fingers crossed things will happen very soon for you both. You never know when it might happen. I didn't have any symptoms prior to my waters breaking that morning.

get cleaning your kitchen floor and bouncing on your balls ladies!

MW recommended 10 minutes bouncing, 20 minutes walking and 30 minutes resting repeat til it kicks off or you have an alternative distraction - wish she had told me that before chit chat in early labour when waters had already gone :dohh:

looking forward to birth story Pip

Hope all other mums and babies doing well - cant belive J is already so big :nope: I love my boys :cloud9:

Urgh - all this bouncing has done is turn the baby even more back to back, I now have legs kicking my belly button... We went on a walk around the golf course too (i was even allowed to hit a couple of balls, I'm useless!!), but nothing. Grrr.

Thanks for the support though girls, I'm an impatient person anyway, so I'm afraid you're in for moaning, sorry, please feel free to ignore!!

Ann - we made it to September - our babies will be old in their year - one bonus I guess!!

Morning ladies - so hoping your babies come soon!!!

Had a lovely morning at a softplay meeting some of the local mums/babies through netmums. Also come to realise Dylan is using me as a dummy sometimes and comfort sucking not feeding.......did any / do any of your LO's have dummies? :dohh:

they actually recommend them these days for settling bubba to sleep - helps prevent against cotdeath...Jack has one but we rarely use it only if he starts suckling then soon as hestops we remove it - havent used since weekend before last, he is being v good now and m being stricter iykwim, result was 8pm-6.30am with just two 15 min wake ups for boob and clean bum :wohoo:

Hi Ladies!

How I have missed my lovely BF&D's ladies!!!

Well I am back...I think :blush:

I have to admit that I had a rough go of it. Everything happened so unexpectedly before Peyton's birth. I was already exhausted even before labour started...and then of course the new mom anxieties (will the baby stop breathing, choke on spit up, etc...) were amplified X1000 with the lack of sleep. I think I went with about 10ish hours sleep from August 20-25. Which made caring for a newborn that much harder. I also hated that we were stuck in hospital longer because poor Peyton was jaundiced.

So now today, I sorta feel a bit like my old self. It's 11am here...and not a single tear yet today so I take that's a positive sign. I am still worried about breastfeeding. I know she is eating, but she hasn't gained. :cry:

Birth= 6lbs 11oz
Day 1= 6lbs 4oz
Day 2=6lbs 6oz (was on formula for a little over 24 hrs while in phototherapy)
Day 4= 6.6
Day 8=6.6

So on Monday when the MW was here, she told me to try the switch nursing method as opposed to one boob per feed. So I do 5 min one side, 5 min the other, then return to the first boob to finish the feed. Now we are going to the MW clinic on Friday I think to et her weighed again. DH and I are always just a day away from switching to formula. :cry: I hate that she isn't gaining and in some ways formula would be so much easier, but I know there are many benefits to BFing. and I just don't know if I can make that switch yet without regretting it.:cry:

So Today I will try to contact a lactation consultant and see what she says...but I am afraid if P hasn't gained by Friday we will be switching over. :cry:

Well that's my little update for now. Hope everyone is well :hugs:

xo

they actually recommend them these days for settling bubba to sleep - helps prevent against cotdeath...Jack has one but we rarely use it only if he starts suckling then soon as hestops we remove it - havent used since weekend before last, he is being v good now and m being stricter iykwim, result was 8pm-6.30am with just two 15 min wake ups for boob and clean bum :wohoo:

Thanks hun.......I don't so much have a problem with the evenings (though yours sounds bliss as Dylan is still up around every two hours......?????? :dohh:) but in the day he will want to hop on soooo much...when he obv doesn't need to feed.

:wacko:

Brig fingers crossed for a gain - you are obviously working so hard to make it work hun, if you have to go to formula then you know you tried, and Peyton will get what she needs. I hope that comes out how I intended it lol.

Sending you and P massive hugs :hugs:

Hi Brigitte! FX Peyton starts putting on more weight by Friday. Don't punish yourself though if you decide to formula feed. There are pros and cons with both methods of feeding.

Lydia, yey to September! How are you feeling? I'm getting the usual period pain and BHs but nothing too exciting. x

Brig a happy mummy is a happy baby! BF/FF as long as you are confident in what you choose and why you chose it then thats all that matters. I think if you are confident in your decision then you will handle others questioning it so much better.

Im lazy thats why I BF, saying that with J it is a million times easier than it was with S as he is bigger and no matter what anyone says BFing a little one is so much harder! Not only do they find it harder to latch initially but they also have a smaller tummy and this makes it harder work for you as they will naturally need to feed more often as they cant eat as much. I reckon FF for me would drive me crazy with all the sterilising, making up bottles etc but thats cos I have never done it so I dont know how :wacko:

In the early days with Mogster it was a vicous circle, he was constantly hungry and as a result I was constantly tired, this made me over-emotional and constantly doubting in myself and my parenting abilities, it took our BF counsellor here sitting down at BF clinic and making me see what we had achieved before it kicked in - this was at about 3-4 weeks in, we had come so close to giving up but had persevered and still were BFing.

What many forget is that a BF baby will lose almost 10% birthweight in the first week, for a jaundiced baby it is often more and it makes it even more worrying for the parents, especially if it is your first,so long as she doesnt actually lose weight after the first week then you know you are doing good :thumbup:

Should you decide to move to FF for what is best for you and P then thats fine, every day you do BF is a bonus for her so all good, dont feel guilty! If you want to BF but feel you need to FF have you considered combination feeding? Maybe you could look into it or get Nathan to look at it and give you the pros/cons. Have you tried expressing a little so that you can get an extra hours snooze? Giving a bottle could give you a break to get some rest and some perspective - its so hard as its a big decision and the worst time to have to make a big decision is when you are tired and stressed out emotionally. Whatever you decide know that you are making the decision that you feel is right for you and your little girl - we will support you however we can you just have to ask.

Good luck with your lactation consultant, hope she can help you with your decision...rest assured whatever you decide it WILL be the right decision because YOU are her mummy and YOU have the instincts to look after her, you just gotta trust them
*apologies for sounding bit bizarre but wish I had trusted my instincts more in the early days with Mogster, only this time do I feel I have th4e confidence to make the tougher calls because I know I CAN do it and OH is supporting me all the way - just as I know Nathan is you and P!*

Thats my lot cos Im starting to lose my point :wacko:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Thank you so much for your post Moggy:hugs:

I was so emotional before yesterday/today that I couldn't even come on and word the problems I was having...but today seems to be better...hopefully every day from now on will be a bit better. I know I'll have days, I just want more good than bad.

A lactaction consultant will be by tomorrow and watch P feed and then provide some advice and support. Hopefully that goes well. I will keep you ladies posted. Now that I have found my way back to our thread I remember why it is that I am a part of this group in the first place. Unconditional support, advice, acceptance etc.. You ladies are fantastic!! :hugs:

xox

Hope it goes well hun - I was glad to go to our local BF support group and the lady watched me feed and helped us :thumbup:

Brig - firstly, I LOVE your profile pic, what a gorgeous photo!!! :cloud9:

Please don't be too hard on yourself, take as much advice from the lactation advisor/midwife/everyone else, then you can make a decision for yourself, you will know what is best for your little girl and by taking in all of the information it will be an informed decision, so you know what you are doing is the right thing :hugs:

No news from me... We DTD/went on a really long walk yesterday in deep sand, but it just left me aching and unable to sleep at night!

I think I must be the most impatient person ever, I'm going crazy/crying etc and I'm only 2 days over! I'm slightly worried that if someone says the wrong thing about it too me I'm just going to have a tantrum and burst into tears! (Particularly worried about supper with MIL tomorrow night - she's even more on edge because they go on holiday a week on Saturday. She started rubbing my bump yesterday while I was strapped into the car and I couldn't move away, I hated it and felt so claustrophobic, I'm worried I'm just going to snap and shout at her!). Sorry, I've really ranted on, I'm just feeling well and truly fed-up. :cry:

How are you getting on Ann? Any progress?

Lia, my friend had great success using a dummy to stop her LO cluster-feeding, especially in the first couple of months, she doesn't really need to use it now. Worth a go?:shrug:

Lydia - definitely not the most impatient person ever lol - I was in a grump and I went early :dohh: my MIL said how disappointed my SIL would be if I hadn't had the baby before she returned back to Oz and that was it, I was awful whenever anyone asked how long left lol.....

Trying the dummy - seems ok, I offer it if he starts rooting when he's only fed a short while ago - he seems to accept it if he's not hungry and carries on shouting at me if he is lol......and he doesn't keep it in long it seems, just til he has calmed down :thumbup:

Brig, Kia lost lots of weight- he dropped from 6lb 5 to 5lb 10 in a week, but he soon gained it back on and now at 6.5 weeks he is 12lb! Don't worry, keep strong xxxxxx

I've got a horrific water infection AND mastitis. Feel like death :(

omg Yas did you do something bad in a past life??? Hun poor you! Water infections suck - I'm sure you're drinking gallons of water to shift it? :nope:

Garry about to look after you? :hugs:

Hi ladies,

As promised my birth story. Sorry it is so long, but it sort of all felt important.

OH had asked me on the Monday if I wanted to accompany him to Scotland for the day on Tuesday. I agreed as I thought it would be nice for us to spend some time with each other and he could drop me off at a shopping centre, where I could have a wee look around. Also on the Monday, OH suggested that we get the belly cast done after he finished work on Monday. So we done the belly cast Monday night, which was fun (and as it turned out the day after just in time).

On the Tuesday we left early in the morning and I asked OH if he thought I should take my notes and bags just in case, which he thought was a good idea. So I got most of the things I had together at the time and off we went. We were on our way for about an hour when I asked OH to stop as I needed the toilet :blush:. So we stopped and I went. I washed my hands and felt a small amount of fluid in my undies. I didn’t think it was enough to be my waters, but thought I’d better go back to the toilet to check. I was sure it wasn’t pee, but didn’t think it was my waters as such and decided to keep an eye on things. Got up again from the toilet and this huge amount of fluid gushed out on the floor – this was at 8.45 in the morning. I realized that this was it – my waters had broken. I rang OH from inside the toilet to tell him and went outside the ladies, where he was waiting for me. The water still ran down my legs, so we quickly went back to the car. We were talking about how we would probably meet out little man within the next two days, I got a bit nervous, but at the same time thought there would still be some time as most of you ladies here still had some time after your waters had broken and contractions don’t necessarily start as soon as the waters have gone. We were on our way back hoping to pick up some things that I hadn’t packed yet when at about 10.30am I started having contractions. They started lasting about 15 seconds and were doable, but only 3 minutes apart, which sort of worried both OH and me as to where we were up to. Within half an hour the contractions came 2 minutes apart lasting about 30 seconds. We knew we should probably stop at a hospital and at least get checked out before continuing out journey. We made it to a nearby hospital, which luckily had a maternity unit and my contractions were already quite strong and made it almost impossible for me to walk into the hospital.

We were seen to straight away by a midwife who informed us that this unit was a midwife led unit, which generally wouldn’t have been a problem, but I always thought it would be good to have the option of an epidural, which in a midwife led unit you can’t have. At 12 noon, the midwife examined me and I was 3 cm dilated. She said that she would usually class this as early labour. However, she was surprised by how regular and painful the contractions were. They had a birthing pool there, which I was originally quite keen on, but they usually only let you start using it in established labour. She therefore suggested running me a bath to see if it would ease the contraction pain. Once I got into the bath, the contractions just got stronger. I was unable to find any position that was remotely comfortable in between the contractions and as they were so close, I started to get worried that I would not be able to handle the pain without an epidural (also given the fact that I was only 3 cm dilated, I knew I could be in this for a long time). I felt like such a wimp (and I kept telling my OH too :blush: ) when I told my OH that there was no way I could do this without an epidural and to get things moving for a transfer to the next hospital. The MW rang the closest hospital (20 minutes away), which wasn’t closed for admissions, but preferred me to be transferred to the next hospital (40 minutes away) as they were quite busy. I got out of the bath, MW arranged for me to go by ambulance and OH had to follow in the car because otherwise the car would have been left there. Before making the journey to the other hospital the MW examined me again and I was 5 cm dilated (this was only 45 minutes after the 1st examination). She was impressed by the speed my labour was progressing and realized that I now qualified for gas and air, which took a few minutes to get used to, but did distract me from concentrating on the pain itself. The ambulance picked me up, MW came with us and kept checking the baby’s heart rate, which was fine. Ambulance dropped OH off at the car and we were on our way. After about 10 minutes in the ambulance the MW asked the paramedics, which way they were going. Turned out that they assumed I was going to the closer hospital, which also happened to be the other way. MW told them that OH was on his way to the other hospital, so they had to turn around. Whenever there was too much traffic on the way, they turned the sirens on. :) For the last 10 to 15 minutes of the journey, the contractions appeared to get stronger and gas and air was becoming less effective. We finally arrived at the other hospital and I was so relieved to see my OH already waiting for me. I have never been so happy to see him in my life as I knew he was going to be there with me. I think he was equally happy to see me as he was a bit concerned that I might have already given birth in the ambulance. MW told the MW’s at the new hospital that I wanted an epidural and my contractions were only 1-2 minutes apart and very strong. I was taken into a room and a student midwife started asking me about my birth plan. On the weekend I had made some last changes to my birth plan and I was going to print it off and take it to my next MW appointment later that week. So I did not have my birth plan with me :dohh:, but OH and I managed to remember most things between us. Another MW came into the room to examine me again and I was told that I was fully dilated and it was too late for the epidural :shock:. This was at 4.05pm.
Anyway, I asked the MW’s what was going to happen now and since my body was already pushing by itself now, I was told to just push whenever there was a contraction. I felt a bit weak since I only had a bowl of cereal in the morning and although I had all these lovely snacks in my hospital bag, I did not feel like eating. :nope: One of the MW’s got me a Fanta to give me some energy for the final stage.
So I started pushing and at around 5.15pm the MW said that the baby had lots of lovely dark hair. I couldn’t quite believe that she could see his hair as I didn’t actually feel him that far down yet. I was told to push as much as I can with every contraction, but to stop when they tell me to, which I did. And at 5.43pm our baby’s head was delivered and two minutes later our baby was born. Our baby was put onto my chest straight away and stayed there for an hour. OH cut the cord after it stopped pulsating.
The MW’s started cleaning me up and told me that there was a small internal vaginal tear that required one stitch (but my perineum was intact :)). She asked me if I wanted a local anesthetic, which required to stabs for the one stitch or did I just want to have the one stitch by using gas and air, which she thought was doable. So I decided to go for that option and I can honestly say that it wasn’t that bad.
After the delivery the MW’s told me to be proud of myself having done it without the epidural after all, that my birth was a perfect birth (baby’s heart rate stayed steady all along through the birth), my body acted exactly as it was supposed to and I could come back anytime :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->