2014 May Rainbows

Starry, my best friend is a photographer part time, but she lives 3 hours away... Not idea for newborn (she doesn't drive).... I will call our wedding photographer but I'm not sure he does maternity or newborn... Don't know if they actually have a studio.... I'm now looking for photographers right out of school just getting started hoping they are offering deals.... Also looking for some who give a discount if you do both maternity and newborn....

As for Diclectin.... AMAZING...... Lol. It made me sleepy at first but I got used to it... I take 2 at night and one in the morning... If I have a rough morning I take a fourth at lunch.... They are pricy though I'm lucky enough to have a drug plan through DH work....

We had our gender scan today! I just thought I would update and let you ladies know we are having another little boy! :cloud9:

Aww Sunny if you were closer I would do them! I do it on the side and for cheap. I don't have a studio and only do outdoor stuff because I have zero lighting equipment. I usually charge like $50 and I include all the good pictures we get (about 20+) on a disc and you can go print what you want.

If only you were closer! I've dabbled in photography but nothing serious and I don't have a decent D SLR.... I love the props and things that you get access to with a professional in a studio, and many of them use all natural lighting for newborn photos to avoid the flash disturbing baby... We may have my friend do maternity photos and cave on newborn photos.... Splurge for the professional.

I don't know anyone nearby who does photos either. My new friends post professional photos of their kids all the time but they personally know the photographers and I don't really have any connections to them other than the mutual friend. With DS, I end up taking my point and shoot and take about 100 photos in hopes of getting one photo that is decent enough for a Christmas card. I'm such a hack, but it's what I've got at this point.

And urgh! My body is still getting used to the diclyctin. It makes me so tired but now it's also giving me insomnia so I'm this mad mix of physical exhaustion but mental alertness. ](*,)

For photos of the baby afterwards Super Store near us does a session for like $10 or something. Great for monthly pictures, Christmas cards, etc. but I'd really like very good photos for newborn. Professional photographers will spend 2-3 hours with a new born and family to capture some wonderful poses, etc. guess its an investment.

Yeah, it is. The Superstore near us doesn't do photos but we got a new Walmart this year so I would have to check if they do but our Walmart stinks. Its selection is terrible and most people still drive to the city anyways. It has a doctor's office and a Timmie's but I don't think it has a photo studio. I think my sister would kill me for going there anyways as she says places like that destroy the professional studios because the photographers can't compete with the prices (and the chain stores pay the photographers minimum wage for doing the same job as the professionals). It is hard to argue with the prices though and I would like to get a professional portrait at some point. I can't get a family photo with all of us in it on my own.

Honestly you won't get near as good pictures at the walmart. They won't try as hard and it will be the same pose as everyone else. I let my grandma take DS to the department store to get his pictures done and I hated them. They gave him a stupid basketball as a prop that was bigger than he was! :dohh: It's so awkward and he hated the lady doing them. I've never seen him cry because of someone like that before. The things you have to take into account when paying for the more expensive professional is the session hours, the time they take to crop and photoshop the pictures and the wear and tear on props. Plus if they include any prints or a disc in that price. For me I usually take about 6hrs on my shoots and photo editing combined and charge $25-$50. If I charge $50 that comes out to about $8/hr plus I've got to have gas to get where I'm going etc. Most people who do this professionally have to pay for nice equipment and a studio rental fee/mortgage plus are trying to make a living for their family. That's why I haven't been able to get the lighting equip. and lenses that I need to branch out more.

I guess I am lucky. My dad went to school for photography. He only does it on the side now but he has a studio in his basement. So I just have him take our pictures. None of you live around us but if you want to have a look at his website you can. wesleyschultz.com

I completely respect the professional photographers and their time, equipment, props and editing skills,... It's just a luxury we can't afford (at least not often)... I've been getting prices in the $200+ range just for a one hour sitting.... Photos start at $50 each! And for a digital image were talking $100 per photo! It's crazy... The photographers often post on their website the average that a family spends on a session + photos.... Usually $500-$1000.... Crazy! So we're thinking department store for maternity and monthly photos of baby (up to one year) and splurging in the newborn session... I love the work that the photographers do though, it's so hard to 'compromise' with the department store boring stuff, but not much choice.... Might check my parents city and see if any photographers are more affordable....

That is a bit outrageous! Here I got Logan's done for $350 and that included the 1hr session and the disc with all the images.

I would absolutely do it for that price! DH and I have said $500 if all photos are included on disc is our goal price... So far I can get the session and like 5 photos for that (not digital though, 5 prints sized 5x7.... We live in a fairly affluent city close to Toronto so checking my parents city. Only about 45 mins away and much less affluent. Hoping for some better deals !!

We had our gender scan today! I just thought I would update and let you ladies know we are having another little boy! :cloud9:

Congratulations on another boy!! :)

I am on the fence about what photos I want to get done. I live in So Cal and maternity photos and newborn photos are so expensive. I might call my wedding photographer and see what she has cause she usually gives discounts to brides if we stick with her for everything.

Mrs Gax. I hear ya. A lovely momento as they're only so small for a bit but the money is incredible! We're getting a crib and dresser for less than the photos!! I'm thinking of calling our wedding photographer but it was about $3500 for our wedding so I'm guessing still be pricy. He did an amazing job and we got 3 mini albums and a big album and all 1400 images on DVD. But still. :/

I've got a few months to price it out and look for deals. The whole point of looking early :)

yes furniture is MUCH cheaper! :haha: Our crib is $95 and we are going to pick up the glider tomorrow for $25 second hand. DH is going to sand it and help me paint it white and I am making new cushions for it to match the room :thumbup:

Sounds sweet Darlin!! We have a night stand that DH and I refinished a few years ago that we will put in the nursery and a bouncy chair with ottoman (instead of a rocker). But new cribs are about $200-$1000 and the matching dressers start at $300. We are aiming for under $1000 for the pair :)

Mrs Gax. I hear ya. A lovely momento as they're only so small for a bit but the money is incredible! We're getting a crib and dresser for less than the photos!! I'm thinking of calling our wedding photographer but it was about $3500 for our wedding so I'm guessing still be pricy. He did an amazing job and we got 3 mini albums and a big album and all 1400 images on DVD. But still. :/

I've got a few months to price it out and look for deals. The whole point of looking early :)

Yea, our wedding photos were pricey too! We got no albums in ours, but we paid like $2400 for our photos. We got alllllll the images. I make the albums on shutterfly though which I like as well.

Soooo I am going tonight to an elective ultrasound place by my house! They have 99% accuracy of gender determination at 13 weeks!!! lol... I am crazy, I know. But I cannot wait! So pray for me that they can give me at least a 95% sure one way or the other! They have 5 star reviews online from hundreds of people and they were never wrong! Soooo ahhhhhhhhhhhh. I cannot believe DH said yes to going tonight :)

Plus, I think baby is actually a little further than 13+2 since baby was measuring 2 or 3 days ahead at NT scan, but I am still sticking with my original EDD unless they change it.

Mrs Gax, that sounds exciting! I'm jealous you get to find out so early :). Can't wait to hear the results!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->