2014 May Rainbows

When my baby is down low then yes, I do feel pressure down there. I also get pressure down there when I need to have a bowel movement or pass gas. Even though I know it's normal it freaks me out a little. What is really weird though, is when the baby's head finally engages or drops. Towards the end of the pregnancy with DS I felt like I was sitting on his head! Thankfully, I had a friend warn me about that otherwise I think I would have had a true freak out over that one.

I also hate the not eating in labour. Our hospital does not allow it at all. I was sooo hungry. I did end up with an emergency cs and had to be put under so I guess it was just as well. I also wasn't allowed to eat for more than 24 hours before my d&c with my latest loss. Then the hospital didn't want me to eat for 12 hours after so they could observe me. I don't know. I was so, so hungry I was practically gnawing on myself. Thankfully, I had a sweet nurse who went down and scolded the staff and reminded them that I just had a baby like any of the ladies on the maternity ward and needed to get my strength back. And as soon as I ate (more like devoured) my mean, wouldn't you know....my vitals perked up and I was stronger and happier.

I had to not eat after midnight the day before my d&c but the standard here is 8 hours. They just didn't know when they could fit me in as I was an add on for day surgery. Then they gave me juice and cookies within an hour afterwards. That's crazy not letting you eat after?? My SIL had an emergency cs (sort of, long story... The one who waited 3 days) and she was allowed to eat about an hour after hers. The kitchen was closed but her DH went and got her food on the nurses suggestion :)

I have a fun question....

I have seen on Pinterest people doing things for their nurses for labour. There are two ideas I like and I'm debating which to do.

First is individual bags with things like a chocolate bar, hand sanitizer, lip balm, etc and you attach your birth plan and hand them to whatever nurses come in your room.

Second is a basket with assorted treats, lip balm, gum, etc and a stack of birth plans that you leave at the nurses station.

I feel it's important to acknowledge the nurses and not sure if the group or individual approach is best??

Since I've never been there, I also have no idea how many nurses might be helping me over the course of labour and recovery so kind of leaning towards the group basket??

Any input would be great! :)

I had one nurse per shift looking after me during labour so I wouldn't see them again once they went home. Honestly, I think the gift thing is a little much. It's their job to take care of you. It's not a service industry. It's health care. I smiled and said "thank you" to each of them but I wouldn't buy a gift. I feel like Facebook and Pinterest encourages bragging and people feel the need to "one up" each other on things. Like how it's now a 'thing' to need to come up with a clever photo to announce a new pregnancy. Having a baby is already expensive. If I have to buy gifts for all my nurses in the ward on top of everything else, where does it end? If nurses were like waitresses and made less than minimum wage then I can see giving them a little extra.

Sorry for the rant. It is a lovely sentiment. I'm sure they'd appreciate anything as it really is not expected. I think a group "Thank You" card would even be more than enough. I know it's common for people to send thank-you cards and birth announcement photos to their OBs/midwives that get pinned onto the office wall. Maybe a bag of nut-free chocolate and/or candy could be sent along with the card so they can share.

Thanks for the input. I agree about the 'going too far' thing these days. I guess since I work in a similar field, caring for children, I appreciate even a thank you card. I have an idea of how stressful these jobs are and how much s#*t the nurses put up with. I was originally thinking a box of cookies or something with our birth plan attached. I just thought the little bags were cute.

I'm a very crafty person and love putting things like this together.

I agree that it is their job and they make PLENTY here. With DS I was nice to my nurses but they weren't even that great. DH's mom brought them cookies at the nurses station to enjoy all together because she used to be a nurse on the mat floor. I will agree while it's nice I am sure they don't expect it. When I worked the front desk at the salon the old ladies always brought us goodies and it was a real treat but I wouldn't have thought any different if nobody never brought a thing. I'd say maybe keep track of their names and leave a nice thank you note for them at the desk when you leave. If you feel the need to do more than that a nice inexpensive group gift like even just a bag of hershey kisses for everyone would be enough.

I'm sure the nurses don't expect it or think any differently of people who leave something. I just like the gesture. I remember when my neice was in the NICU my brother in law brought in cookies or Tim bits once a week. The nurses main comment was they were excited that someone thought of them. I have a few friends who are nurses and I know that they often miss lunch or have to wait hours just to go to the washroom. I agree that they are paid fairly well here, but not great. I tend to do similar things for various service people in my life (hair dresser, doctor, etc).

If we were there an extended amnt of time and in the NICU I would bring something but not for a routine delivery I think. I think if we were there for an extended amnt I would tho :)

Yeah, I think the NICU is a good exception. We were only there for a few days and the staff was lovely. But I also didn't see the same nurse twice. If I had been there longer I might have.

Feeling much more "prepared" ladies. I went and did a nice stock up shopping trip today. I got everything...

paper towels
toilet paper
cleaners
laundry stuff
shower items
hair products
diapers
a small thing of formula ($4 couldn't pass it up :haha:)

and so so so much more! I spent $150 but I saved $100 just because of my couponing. I mean I got like things of dish soap for 25cents each! I am so proud of it! :happydance: I think we officially have enough diapers to get us through the first couple of weeks too. So hopefully I can figure something out with the food side of things and get us stocked up there to the only thing we need to do really in the beginning will be getting milk and bread.

Darlin that's great!! I've started stocking up a bit. Same thing, soaps, etc. I have one pack each of new born and size one diapers. Won't last long!! Lol. I've been watching for sales :). I've also got some coupons online. P&G will mail you ones that you choose. Go to their website. I've got coupons for wipes, diapers, batteries, shaving gear, soothers, etc.

Any recommendations on formula? We plan to breast feed but we will have bottles and formula in the house in case we need it. Really hoping we don't though as it's so expensive!! We are also planning in cloth diapers once baby reaches about 10lbs due to the cost. $300 will get us enough cloth to last a year. Another $200 to toilet training :). It's crazy how expensive baby stuff is :/

It's hard to recommend a specific brand of formula as it can be tough to tell what your baby will take to. My son was a spitter-upper and had bit of a sensitive stomach so we had to buy him the expensive stuff -- Enfamil A+. It is what our hospital uses. And the cost of formula has gone up A LOT in the 3 years since we had to use it. It was as we were weaning him that Enfamil switched to their new system of a reusable container with boxes of refills. I did the math and their new system, whiled dubbed as being "environmentally friendly", was really a clever way to jack up the prices by quite a bit. Now Similac has followed suit. Fortunately, it's just their specialty lines that do this. Once DS was a bit older we switched to regular Enfamil and that still comes in the traditional canister and seemed to do just fine. If baby does not have a sensitive stomach then I think the store brands work just fine. At the very end we switched to the store brand and it worked just as well. By that point DS was also eating solids so he had other avenues of getting nutrients too. Sign up with all the major companies and they will send you coupons and free samples (though Nestle cheaps out the most and Shoppers Drug Mart won't accept the coupons for some dumb reason. Superstore will)

My biggest concern right now is AVENT bottles have changed their bottle shapes so if I have to look into seeing if their new nipples will fit the old bottles. I really liked them the best but they are expensive so I have to replace all my bottles as well as nipples I'm not sure what I"m going to do.

I have sent away for some Pampers coupons so I may pick up some baby diapers once they arrive. I still have half a box of newborn sized diapers leftover from DS. Now if only we can convince DS to potty train so we don't have to buy two sets of diapers for very long! And yes, wait for sales. Paying full price for diapers is terrible. The cost of baby items goes up way, way faster than inflation. It's absolute robbery. But when there is a sale, go the first day as everything will be picked over right away!

Couponing in Canada is nowhere as near as good in the States but combining coupons with sales prices really helps.

I wouldn't worry too much about stocking up on formula. We have some but it's a mix of different free samples a leftover can from when DS had his milk allergy and I bought a sensitive one because it was so cheap. If it weren't free I wouldn't hae stocked up. I really am not sure how I got the free samples. I thought it was from signing up with similac but then enfamil sent me a bunch too :shrug: Similac has a new one out for supplementation so maybe try that if you want to have some on hand? I think it's meant to be lighter on baby's tummy.

Here is my stash! There are a couple more packs of diapers up in DS's room too. I feel like i need more! :haha: It's almost like an addiction :blush: I asked DH is we had enough when I showed him and he shook his head no and laughed.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2
That is quite the stash! Are you planning on using the toilet paper for something baby specific or is it your family-use stash? I'm trying to picture what the toilet paper is for otherwise.

And I agree about stocking up on formula. If you're planning on BFing anyways, whatever you get with the free samples should be enough for "just in case" especially if you have a 24 hour grocery store nearby. I didn't have any formula or bottle stuff when I left the hospital other than a few free samples they gave me as I was really struggling with the nursing. In the beginning babies eat small enough amounts that you will have to time to go pick up some things from the store then.

Also, get your mom to sign up for the samples too so you can have an extra set of samples and coupons. I remember getting coupons from their affiliate companies that included coupons for diapers and baby food, etc.

It's just a stash. There's more paper towels there than there is toilet paper :haha: It's a mix of both. I honestly found the walmart diapers are cheaper than the reg brand even with coupons. I can get loves for the same price with a coupon tho. I am trying out our 1st luvs diaper on DS right now. We will see... The walmart overnights is what we buy because since he has gotten bigger and pees a lot more at once it's the only way he doesn't leak.

If you don't have them already Sunny make sure you have some larger pads with wings for when you come home. You will need them if you have a vag or cs birth. I also would suggest some comfy cotton panties you don't mind getting ruined. I preferred the fuller coverage granny ones that covered my cs scar so I didn't have to worry about anything rubbing. I still need to that and get another larger bra or two. I bought my 1st nursing bra yesterday.

I'm like freaking out about how little we have gotten done :wacko: I feel like this baby could be here in minute now and if he were I am NOT ready! I want to get everything set up so I can make sure my home is clean and ready for whenever we have to go since people will be in and out of my home probably because of DS. There won't be any time to tidy up before guests :dohh:

Thanks for the tips ladies!!! I was planning in having one can of formula on hand as our city is small and I'm not sure what's open 24/7 if anything.

As for samples I went online for a bunch a month or two ago but never received anything :/

I've yet to think about the undies, not sure what id prefer. Lol. As for nursing bras, I'm quite large so I've been warned that I will likely go up quite a bit and to wait until a week or two before edd. Or even after since they cost $100+ to get ones to fit (36 GG) :(

I'm also feeling the 'lack of time'. Lol. Been trying to get everything done!!! And I remind myself that I'll be on mat leave in 4 weeks but still trying to do it all now. Lol. I think I'm starting to drive DH crazy too, made him put up shelves in the nursery last night :)

I am just using basically sports bras for nursing. Something that is comfy for sleeping in and lounging in that I can pull down. The one bra I have I just went up a size. Have something in your bag at least because I had to send DH to get me a bra the day after my surgery because my milk came in very quick and I was in so much pain and leaking everywhere! :haha: Going up one size was enough and I am a 34/36D-DD depending. Do you have a lane bryant there? I am thinking of just getting a couple of their seamless cotton or satin bras so I have comfy options I can continue to use and wear in public.

Ah shoot. I forgot that it can take months for the samples to get to you. My mom and I had signed up for them with DS near the beginning of my pregnancy and didn't get them until he was born and we had completely forgotten about it and wondered where all these samples were coming from. I only signed up for my samples today so I guess it will be awhile. LOL

I have tried store brand diapers a few times and have never been happy with them. And DS had sensitive skin and would get horrible rashes with anything but Pampers or Huggies (though I find Huggies leak). I'm going to start out with Pampers with this one but may experiment with store brands once she's a bit older and see if I can get away with it.

Still praying she will BF too!

That makes sense about the samples.

I will pick up one sports bra ahead of time for sure. I'll go out after to get fitted. I can't go to the usual stores as they tend to max out at DD. I have to go to specialty stores :( hence the cost.

I've heard a few people say huggies leaked, I guess it depends on your baby. I've picked up pampers sensitive for now.

Yepp huggies leaked something awful for us! When applying for samples and free stuff lie about your edd :haha: That's what I do to get them sooner.

That makes sense the samples get sent out for the EDD. I was wondering as mine arrived just in time for us returning from the hospital. The timing was too perfect.

I only have two nursing bras and I'm going to wait to see how nursing goes this time around before making any big investments. I think I'm somewhere between a C and D right now. Before DS I was a puny A-cup. LOL It's so nice having cleavage but I am hoping for some shrinkage. I'd rather be on the small end of a C cup. That seems nice.

I think baby is practicing engaging. The past few days I'll randomly get this weight on my bum or feel like I have a brick hanging between my legs. It makes it hard to walk. But then she disengages and kicks free as I still feel some twists and turns in there. But the heavy feeling is getting more frequent. I hated it when DS engaged as it always felt like I was sitting on his head! :wacko::haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->