2014 October Rainbows (late Septembers welcome!) (13 babies born!)

Elsa, congratulations!
Ourturn, I think you should head over to car-seat.org and post on the international forum now about your future seat problem. Hopefully there's something you can do - maybe a retrofit for the van?
Sorry about all the car seat talk - I'm super passionate about them, lol. I figure we work so hard to grow these people that we want them as safe on the outside as we can get them.
Jailla, I'm in Alberta and here we have birthing centers and hospitals and midwives and doulas and all that jazz. In Canada we have the option of laughing gas (I think the girls in the UK do too) to make it through contractions. I know that's not available in the USA. And in the UK they have Tens machines - I have a friend who wanted to use one in the USA and her OB had no idea what she was talking about. I'm going to be attempting my second Vba2c (in a hospital, hooked up to all sorts of monitors because the first sign of uterine rupture is a decrease in fetal heart rate) with this baby - my OB is awesomely supportive :)

Elsa, congratulations!
Ourturn, I think you should head over to car-seat.org and post on the international forum now about your future seat problem. Hopefully there's something you can do - maybe a retrofit for the van?
Sorry about all the car seat talk - I'm super passionate about them, lol. I figure we work so hard to grow these people that we want them as safe on the outside as we can get them.
Jailla, I'm in Alberta and here we have birthing centers and hospitals and midwives and doulas and all that jazz. In Canada we have the option of laughing gas (I think the girls in the UK do too) to make it through contractions. I know that's not available in the USA. And in the UK they have Tens machines - I have a friend who wanted to use one in the USA and her OB had no idea what she was talking about. I'm going to be attempting my second Vba2c (in a hospital, hooked up to all sorts of monitors because the first sign of uterine rupture is a decrease in fetal heart rate) with this baby - my OB is awesomely supportive :)

3Minions, I'm with you on the carseat thing. I actually had my family doctor tell me that since my son was one I could turn him around at one of his well visits and I was shocked! I took it upon myself to inform her of the recommendations in Ontario (rear-face as long as possible) and forwarded her some information and statistics to read. She said she honestly had no idea about all of the new recommendations and I found that mind boggling!

So we had our anatomy scan this afternoon. It feels like we've been waiting for this day forever. I spent about 45 min. with the tech having me turn left, right, onto my back, rinse and repeat. It turns out our little stinker was being extra stubborn and had his/her face pointed towards my back and refused to move. We did get a couple profile shots before he/she turned to my back. The tech was able to tell my sister the gender with 85% certainty so I'm going to guess a boy based on the baby's position and how difficult it would be able say girl without getting a really good look. We have our gender reveal/BBQ party on Saturday so we'll know then what gender the baby is (well, with 85% certainty at least).
We have a second anatomy scan booked for May 28th so hopefully our little person will be more cooperative. I'll make sure to have something sugary before we go this time! Here is our newest pic. What are your gender guesses?!

Attachments

• Baby2scanat20weeks.jpg
    Baby2scanat20weeks.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 6
I'm rubbish at guessing from scan pictures! I'll say boy but just a pure guess :) I don't know the nub/skull theories!

As for differing labours/births, yes we have gas and air here and tens machines. I used a tens machine with ds as he was back to back and most of the pain for me was in my back. I also had pethidine with ds but I didn't like that. It made me sleep between contractions and I felt exhausted from it even when I was awake. I didn't feel it did that much for the pain anyway! I know some other ladies who found it good though. With dd I didn't have time for any pain relief as labour was so short and I found the whole experience so much better. While at home every time I had a contraction I walked around to help with the pain which is what I think helped speed it up. Aiming to do the same this time.

Both previous births and this one will be in hospital but in a midwife led ward which what most ladies do here I think unless you're high risk or have a home birth.

I was thinking last night that since we're from all over the place it would be really interesting to hear what the norm is for labor and delivery in each of our locations. I've lived in New Brunswick on Canada's east coast, in Massachusetts, about an hour outside Boston and currently in Ontario and just within those 3 locations, labor and delivery practices vary. Here in Ontario, going to an OB and having a hospital delivery is the norm, but midwives are gaining popularity at a fast rate and it's becoming more and more common to deliver in a hospital with a midwife. There's also the home delivery option but seeing as how midwives are still kind of newly popular again, that option is still uncommon.

Another interesting development here in Ontario is the move away from circumcisions. It used to be an automatic procedure until the mid-nineties. For the next 10 years or so, they still performed the procedure in the hospital with newborns as long as parents were willing to pay for it. Now, it's widely discouraged and if parents insist on a circumcision an appointment must be made at a private office. We originally intended to have our DS circumcised but cancelled our appointment after I watched a few YouTube videos and did some research. I'd say in our baby group, about half of our boys had been circumcised though I think the rates continue to decrease.

Ok that's enough for now! Would love to hear from the rest of you mamas :)

We do differ in births, I am getting induced again and will have an epidural for pain relief.

We also will be circumcizing if this is a boy. Culturally it is still something that is done routinely here....

Oh, did I leave out the part where I get the epidural? Lol. Because I'm vbac I always wait until 5cm but then they're putting that puppy in! :)
With my first I did 14 hours epi free but I ended up on pit and that stuff is the devil so I asked for an epidural. With the second I figured why not get an epi. With the third I was having some wicked contractions and thought "why am I hurting if I don't have to?" Out came the epi! I ended up with a 3rd degree tear inside and out so I'm pretty glad I didn't have to feel that.

Oh, did I leave out the part where I get the epidural? Lol. Because I'm vbac I always wait until 5cm but then they're putting that puppy in! :)
With my first I did 14 hours epi free but I ended up on pit and that stuff is the devil so I asked for an epidural. With the second I figured why not get an epi. With the third I was having some wicked contractions and thought "why am I hurting if I don't have to?" Out came the epi! I ended up with a 3rd degree tear inside and out so I'm pretty glad I didn't have to feel that.

Yeah it was 5 long days for me, I waited until they were ready to give the pitcin, so I walked and moved around before...will do the same this time!

I have absolutely no idea what to expect in terms of pain and what I can handle when it comes to birth! I have these hilarious romantic notions that instinct will kick in and I'll rise above the pain and be calm and everything... But really. I know that's pretty unlikely, I know my temperament, I am such an anxious person I doubt that will be possible. :haha: If I don't end up becoming high risk or needing induction, I would like to attempt a water birth, but I want the knowledge that if I can't cope, I can be transferred back to the ward and get an epidural in pronto. :haha:

Jailia Ill guess boy from the skull but im no expert on this at all! Will you have another scan to confirm later in pg'cy?

Ive opted for a home birth again not sure what ill do in the end though as hospital is always an option still even when booking the home birth, ideally id like to birth in the pool using tens and gas and air only. I did hyponobirthing classes with my son.

circumcision isnt something that is really done here unless medically needed. I wouldnt even let the nurse inject my son when he was born with vitamin B let alone chop his bits off - ouchie :haha:

Ladies I'm delighted to share the fantastic news that we are team pink!!!!! I will upload pic later, just digesting the good news and telling the world for now :D

Epidural isn't an option at the hospital I'm delivering at as it's midwife led but I don't think I would like one anyway. Does it stop you feeling your legs completely and being able to move them? As that would freak me out I think, I panic if I can't move my legs!

Circumcision isn't something I've had to think about as it isn't done here unless maybe for medical reasons?

It's funny how different all our labours will be but it doesn't matter how it gets here, as long as we end up with our little babies in our arms :)

Yay ourturnnext! :happydance: Girls are in the majority now! Exciting! Updated you on the main page. :flower:

Yeah, circumcision doesn't seem that well practised in the UK, except perhaps for certain religions? I've never been with a guy here that is cut, I just can't imagine it. :haha: We won't be circumcising our little guy.

Yay ourturnnext! :happydance: Girls are in the majority now! Exciting! Updated you on the main page. :flower:

Yeha, circumcision doesn't seem that well practised in the UK, except perhaps for certain religions? I've never been with a guy here that is cut, I just can't imagine it. :haha: We won't be circumcising our little guy.

...and I cannot imagine being with a guy that was not circumsized! lol It is funny how different cultures are!

Epidural isn't an option at the hospital I'm delivering at as it's midwife led but I don't think I would like one anyway. Does it stop you feeling your legs completely and being able to move them? As that would freak me out I think, I panic if I can't move my legs!

Circumcision isn't something I've had to think about as it isn't done here unless maybe for medical reasons?

It's funny how different all our labours will be but it doesn't matter how it gets here, as long as we end up with our little babies in our arms :)

I could still feel my legs, honestly I felt EVERYTHING. It just dulls the pain. I had horrid back labor and probably will again....still will feel it but this will take some of the pain away!

Yeha, circumcision doesn't seem that well practised in the UK, except perhaps for certain religions? I've never been with a guy here that is cut, I just can't imagine it. :haha: We won't be circumcising our little guy.

...and I cannot imagine being with a guy that was not circumsized! lol It is funny how different cultures are!

Haha! Craziness, we're only just across the pond from each other! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->