2021 Christmas Countdown - 1 day to go!!!

Aegh I'm so over everything right now. Car failed MOT with two major defects. Can't fix until 31st so now looking around for other mechanics. I HATE cars.
Just as money starts building up...here comes another blow!

Cannot wait for asda order to come now. I'm opening the wine early!!

I havent done any wrapping yet! Last year I swore to myself Id do it in good time and here I am again, dragging my feet!

Ha ha. I've completely ran out of paper yet still buying presents.

Aegh I'm so over everything right now. Car failed MOT with two major defects. Can't fix until 31st so now looking around for other mechanics. I HATE cars.

Oh no, so sorry :( There's always something with cars isn't there :hugs:

I'm so sorry the car failed.

I totally hear you with the money - just as I think I'm on track and doing well for a change we get hit with a bunch of medical bills that messes everything up. Just can't win.

I hope you're able to find someone to fix the car before the 31st.

At least some good news. Only 4 subs with my food order, and all manageable...so that's good at least.

How does everyone here celebrate Xmas? Like what do you do to celebrate?

On my side our main celebration is on Xmas eve.
Growing up we always celebrated with my mom's side of the family on Xmas eve, and my dad's side on Xmas day. Xmas eve was always a big celebration with carols and roasts and presents etc. Xmas day was just a lunch today. (and of course father Xmas came during the night so we woke up to gifts from him, before going to my dad's family).
Over the years the lunches with my dad's side dwindled and finally fell away altogether.

When I married it worked out well because dh has always celebrated Xmas day, and I've always celebrated Xmas eve, so it means we get to have full Xmas celebration with both sides every year without any hassles of figuring out who to go to when.

So on Xmas eve we get together with my side of the family - my parents, my brother and sil (other brother and sil are in Germany - they were meant to come down for Xmas this year but had to cancel thanks to omicron), my aunt + unmarried cousin, other cousin + husband + kids, etc. We sing carols, eat roast meats and salads (usually, this year we changing up a bit and having mediterranean style dinner), open presents, and just have a really lovely afternoon/evening.

Then Santa sneaks in during the night and leaves gifts under the tree and in the stockings, which we all unwrap the next morning.

Then Xmas day we get together with dh's sister + husband + kids. Sadly his parents passed away a few years ago so it's just a very small get together. We have a lovely lunch (sometimes roasts meats, sometimes braai) and exchange gifts (usually only gifts for the kids). There's no singing or anything though, but it's usually still a very nice visit. The kids usually swim a lot. This year we're doing Xmas day at our house for the first time. We usually go to sil.
Xmas eve varies from year to year depending on who wants to host it that year - this time we're going to my cousin's house.

So I was just wondering how everyone else here does it?

Growing up we always celebrated with my mom's side of the family on Xmas eve, and my dad's side on Xmas day. Xmas eve was always a big celebration with carols and roasts and presents etc. Xmas day was just a lunch today. (and of course father Xmas came during the night so we woke up to gifts from him, before going to my dad's family).
Over the years the lunches with my dad's side dwindled and finally fell away altogether.

When I married it worked out well because dh has always celebrated Xmas day, and I've always celebrated Xmas eve, so it means we get to have full Xmas celebration with both sides every year without any hassles of figuring out who to go to when.

So on Xmas eve we get together with my side of the family - my parents, my brother and sil (other brother and sil are in Germany - they were meant to come down for Xmas this year but had to cancel thanks to omicron), my aunt + unmarried cousin, other cousin + husband + kids, etc. We sing carols, eat roast meats and salads (usually, this year we changing up a bit and having mediterranean style dinner), open presents, and just have a really lovely afternoon/evening.

Then Santa sneaks in during the night and leaves gifts under the tree and in the stockings, which we all unwrap the next morning.

Then Xmas day we get together with dh's sister + husband + kids. Sadly his parents passed away a few years ago so it's just a very small get together. We have a lovely lunch (sometimes roasts meats, sometimes braai) and exchange gifts (usually only gifts for the kids). There's no singing or anything though, but it's usually still a very nice visit. The kids usually swim a lot. This year we're doing Xmas day at our house for the first time. We usually go to sil.
Xmas eve varies from year to year depending on who wants to host it that year - this time we're going to my cousin's house.

Your tradition sounds lovely and very traditonal. My grandmother is German but her dad was English so they more so stuck with English traditions but we always got a present Christmas eve and family would come over.

It's a lot different for us now as we live almost 2 hours away from my and DH family. When my girls were small babies we would travel to them Christmas eve but once they got to about 4 my grandmother (who lives with my parents) always said she wanted the girls to be at home with their toys on Christmas day not stuck in a car.
So now we have our Christmas day at home (sometimes DH brothers will come and stay) then we go to my parents boxing day or the day after for a second Christmas day.
We do not speak to DH parents sadly so it's mainly my family we make the effort to visit, although others are welcome to come to us.

Next year though I'm thinking of going to my parents. My grandmother is 91 so I would love us to have a special Christmas with her, God willing.
X

I havent done any wrapping yet! Last year I swore to myself Id do it in good time and here I am again, dragging my feet!

Oh dear, and there was me worried about having half left haha I'm sure you'll get it all done in time

I hate cars for this same reason, whenever I think we straight dh will say we need a new tire or somethings making a noise it shouldn't.
Glad your substitutes were manageable though.

Christmas eve I'll do a buffet, we have an open invitation for family but it's usually just BIL who turns up. Play board games. We used to just give the boys new pjs but the last couple of years we've given them a couple of small gifts to keep them entertained though the day. Usually things like new board games or dvds and books so we can do things together. The boys will all have a bath/shower before getting their new pjs on, then watch a film with hot chocolate before going to bed and reading Christmas stories.

Christmas day is pretty relaxed. We get up and open presents whenever they wake us up as long as its not ridiculous. Dh usually cooks the dinner. The whole day is a free for all, just playing with new toys/games and eating rubbish.
We used to go to family but it got too much as they wanted us to come in the morning and then stay over and go to another family member and stay there the night and go home the evening of the 27th so the kids would open presents then leave them and not be able to play with them until the 28th really.

Same as mother of boys. They would have all their main gifts here and have to leave them...fortunately my parents agree about us staying at home so the girls can enjoy their day. X

It's lovely reading everyone's different traditions :)
Christmas eve I'm working this year for the first time ever. I finish at 8pm though. My old neighbours are coming over to visit and exchange presents.
Christmas morning the kids open their presents. Then we usually go to church for the Christmas day service.
I'll make Christmas dinner this year again.
Boxing day - MIL will visit in the morning and exchange presents and then we will go to FIL's for a Christmas buffet.

I'm also working Christmas Eve Bev, but thankfully only until lunch time so we will still be able to do our usual buffet and board games.
C1403 luckily no one was offended when we decided to stop going and spend it at home, but we extended the invitation for them to come here instead and no one wanted to. I think we've had 2 years in 11 years that anyone has come to us Christmas day.

Eeeks, 3 days is so close!!

I love hearing how everyone spends Xmas. All the different traditions.

"Finished" my wrapping. I was informed this morning that both ds2 and ds3 gaming headsets aren't working so I've ordered then new ones that will arrive tomorrow and will have to wrap those. I also have 4 gift cards that I'll just stick a name label on the front before popping in their stockings, and ds5s kitchen and hoover which I will build Christmas eve and just hang a label from somewhere on them so they all know they are his.
I'm feeling really excited and like I can't wait now. This is how 3 days to go SHOULD feel.

Yay so glad for you mother of boys.

I'm starting to feel much better and prepared. Dh cleaned the house for me today whilst at work. I need to put a wash on and put washing away .
Car is in a garage and hopefully the guy will have to fixed tomorrow. Still can't drive it but will only need to worry about booking a re test.

Let Christmas begin :D

Lovely to share all the planning with you all as always. X

All the ladies in Santa's Grotto always help me too to get into the spirit of things a bit more and is so inspirational for gift ideas lol.

c1403 wow at your OH cleaning the house! Envy! I am in awe of mine when he unloads and loads the dishwasher and takes out the rubbish without me asking him, it is that rare! :haha:

Last edited:
Yay so glad for you mother of boys.

I'm starting to feel much better and prepared. Dh cleaned the house for me today whilst at work. I need to put a wash on and put washing away .
Car is in a garage and hopefully the guy will have to fixed tomorrow. Still can't drive it but will only need to worry about booking a re test.

Let Christmas begin :D

Lovely to share all the planning with you all as always. X

A clean house somehow always makes one feel more organized. So awesome your dh got that sorted while you were at work.

We made our first ever gingerbread house tonight! (I used sugar cookie dough rather than gingerbread because it just tastes better).
I baked and assembled it, my eldest decorated it. I'm rather pleased with how it turned out!

20211222_213637.jpg
20211222_220249.jpg

20211222_215953.jpg

20211222_215935.jpg

20211222_215749.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member