40+ and Trying for 1st? Join in!!

I feel like a thread killer. :(

I got the day off work for my HSG on Friday. I know they say it can be painful but i'm oddly excited for it. I hear it can kind of "clean out the pipes" and help the egg and sperm travel better. And I'm all for any progress at this point.

So anything else going on? Anyone, anyone...Bueller?

No worries, you're not a thread killer. This one isn't as active as some of the others.

I was also down the same road just a year ahead, start with hsg, clomid then iui. Don't be anxious... it's empowering knowing you are taking charge.

My advice for hsg is to know ahead of time if your doc is prepared to attempt to clear a blockage if he/she found one. I didn't know it was possible until reading more after the fact. Yes, it and other things you will run into can hurt but only for a moment. Breathe through it and after you will know all sorts of information that will help going forward.

Since you've had a loss (sorry) you know it's possible. And yes, some do get pregnant the next cycle so make sure your doing lots of bd'ing. IUI is a cinch but I wasn't so thrilled with clomid. It's different for everyone so you will have to see for yourself.

Hello to everyone... blood test tomorrow but hpt is big ol' negative.

Hi Dojestein
Don't feel like a thread killer, it's a busy time of year and people pop in and out when they can. Good luck on Friday, I agree it's as near to controlling this whole process as you can so understandable to be excited!
Hope everyone else had a great Christmas? I'm on ski holiday at the moment so good company, food and wine, then should get my donor options when I get home and meds start in Jan! x

I had negative results in Sunday and a miserable Christmas. I'm probably going to be on a posting break for a while but I'll be stalking. Best of luck to all. :dust:

Hi Dojestein
Welcome. Best of luck for Friday.

Terri, sorry about the negative result. Come back when you're ready.
Have a great new year everyone

Terri, so sorry to hear that news. We all need time out and be assured we're all thinking of you. x

Hi ladies. Thanks for the GL on Friday. I'm getting a little concerned about this cycle and losing chances of conceiving. I'm in my fertile window and my HSG is Friday, one day before I O. I've been having lots of EWCM but my OPK test is negative. I guess it makes no sense to BD before Friday since they'll basically be flushing me out. But I'm worried that I'll O on or before Friday and lose my chance at this cycle. Anyways, that's my latest and greatest.

I just bought the book, The Impatient Women's Guide to Getting Pregnant. I really like it so far. I'm too impatient to read every page (LOL) but I've learned a lot so far. I mean, nothing earth shattering but just some good tips.

Sending lots of baby dust out there. :)

Hi Dojestein
From memory when I had my HSG, they had to do it at the beginning of the cycle, normally within a week from my period. When I was there, they ask if there's any chance I could be pregnant and ask if I want to do a pregnancy test.
Hopefully you will O on Saturday :winkwink:

I've got my consultation for my ivf next Monday. Both excited and nervous at the same time. More because of not knowing what to expect I think. Got some test result back today....my FSH is 11 from last month. Been told it's on the high side...Will it prevent me from having treatment do you think? :wacko:

I went in for my second beta on Dec 24th and it was over 2,000, so it is rising normally. However I have had some spotting this week. My scan is tomorrow and I'm so nervous to receive bad news. Hopefully everything will be okay. Hubby and I had a long talk last night about how stressful this has been for us. I definitely feel it has made me a much stronger person. I think he just feels so bad since I am the one that has to go through the "physical" stress, injections, etc. Even though I am not a regular poster on here, I want all of you to know that your stories have been an inspiration to me. This has been SO HARD. The hormones make me so moody and I'm such a laid back person normally. Sometimes I don't even know who I am at times. lol.

Babybaby good news on your beta. I've read that some ladies do get spotting whilst pregnant too so don't worry about it too much.
The ttc journey is tough. I've yet to go through the ivf route, even the thought of it is stressing me out!!
You've done the hard work, don't worry about the hormone, let your DH deal with that. Hee hee
Hope the scan go well. Let us know the results.

Babybaby, couldn't agree more and I think sometimes when you're in the thick of it it's hard to appreciate how stressful it is. I'm about to start again with DE and actually just looking forward to getting off the BCP as it's really been making me feel down and just not myself.
Weezy, that said you'll be on IVF, it's a means to an end and a stepping stone to where you want to be. Best of luck! x

Hi everyone! Happy 2015! I hope it brings us all to :cloud9:

Terri--still thinking of you. I hope you are doing okay & focusing on other fabulous things. And drinking yummy wine and fine coffee.

babybaby--congrats on your beta. Sending you lots of sticky baby dust!

dojenstein--how did the hsg go? Sorry if you missed a month as a result, but it's important to know what's going on in there. I just had mine two cycles ago & was convinced I'd get pregnant the month after. I hope it happens for you!

pussycat--what meds will you be starting? I hope this IVF is it for you.

future--why are you considering Mexico for IVF? Cost, I assume, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. There's a dr in Colorado name of Magarelli that does lower cost IVF. I have no idea how his price compares to CA or Mex prices, but he's def cheaper than standard US IVF costs.

Weezy--FSH of 11 is high, but reasonable for our age, I believe. I certainly hope it doesn't prevent you from getting treatment. It should be looked at in combination with other data since it's only one piece of a complicated puzzle.

AFM--We did our first IUI this month. I hope it is just what we need, but since the problem is not DH's sperm, I'm not 100% convinced it will help. My insurance covers 6 IUI's per confirmed pregnancy, so I figure why not try it. Can't hurt to get those spermies closer to the egg. We didn't accompany it with any clomid, femara, etc., because the dr I have been seeing wasn't in favor.

I'd prefer to have a reproductive endocrinologist overseeing all of this, so we have an appointment at a new place on January 16. I hope we don't need it, but I'm glad to have it.

Even as recently as a couple months ago, I optimistically believed DH and I would not be a couple in need of IVF or other serious medical intervention. I still believe we'll get a baby somehow, but I am starting to resign myself to the more realistic stance that when we do, it will be one expensive baby.

I also still have a nagging feeling that my thyroid is still not functioning well enough to allow a pregnancy to happen. That is incredibly frustrating and demoralizing. I desparately work to optimize every facet of fertility to compensate for my wacky thyroid. I'm now reading about castor oil compresses, melatonin, and high doses of DHEA. Thoughts on/experience with any of those?

Hi Vonn! Thanks for asking about the HSG. It went good. Tubes are open, but dang were those 45 seconds when they put the dye in painful. I almost passed out. And I O'd yesterday so I didn't miss this window. But my DF is so burnt out on BDing. I'm not sure we covered all our bases this month so I'm a little bummed.

I'm seeing an RE (who I affectionately call Dr. Frozen Turkey) we have our next appt on Jan. 15th, the day before AF is due. I assume we're going meds and IUI. I hope my insurance covers some of it.

I hear you about hoping to conceive naturally but I'm kinda resigning myself to the fact that we may have to go the more intensive medical route. As long as it brings us our baby.

GL to you!

Vonn-you are so positive and so lovely. I hope IUI does the trick for you this month too. I don't think anyone thinks they will have to go through ART it just happens. There are a million success stories though so be thankful we can afford it and give ourselves the best chance possible.

Nothing ttc from me to report. I signed up with three others to run/walk/hike 2015 miles in 2015. I've already started my running regimen up again and am loving it. My pants felt a little bit looser today. What a great feeling to start the new year.

I'm wishing all of you the best this year. Go big or go home.

Hi everybody. At the scan we did hear a heartbeat!!!! Its starting to get real now. Good luck to all

Congrats baby!!! That's so exciting. I turn 41 this month and feel like time is just getting away from me.

Keep us posted on your progress. H&H 9 months!

Babybaby Congratulations, That's brilliant!!! It must have been a wonderful moment. Keep us updated on your progress

Donjestein, good news on the HSG, Hope you get a natural BFP (some ladies get that after having a HSG)

Vonn, hope the IUI works for you

Pussycat, Hope IVF works out

Terri, wow, what a challenge, keep us updated on your training regimes for now, best of luck on that

Well, I went to my first consultation yesterday. I don't know what I should be expecting as it's my first time but I came out feeling not knowing what I need to do when I eventually start my treatment in February.
She went through the general procedure of the IVF cycle and then She went through my and DH test results and said my thyroid is a little under to carry a pregnancy so she has prescribed me thyroxine to boost it up. She gave me the option of starting treatment this month (in about 10 days time) or next month. I thought it would be better to sort my slightly under active thyroid out first before treatment so I will start next month.
Then she printed and gave me a load of paper work for me to take away.
I found a treatment plan there which I presume were meds that I need to take when I eventually start treatment.
I wanted to ask her more questions but she said she's got another appointment now so basically, we've run out of time.
I want to know, what do i go from here?
I've been told that I need to take my thyroxine for 3-4 weeks and then do another blood test.
I ask her if I need to see her again for a follow up consultation, and she said "only if i want to "
what happens next?
Do I call the clinic when I want to start treatment? or do I call them when I start my period???
She hasn't given me any instructions on "what Next?'
Where do I get my Meds?
She mentioned that they will monitor me every 2 - 3 days when I start treatment and medication may change.
So if I got all my meds and it needs to change, what do I do with the remaining ones?
Sorry I'm full of question marks but I'm not sure what should be happening now.
Any advice

Weezy, sounds like you've been left in the dark. I'd call the clinic and perhaps speak to one of the nurses, explain your situation and ask what next. My clinic gave me all my prescriptions for drugs. Before starting I had an appointment with one of the nurses to talk through the plan. The dr you saw sounds highly unprofessional and a little like the one I saw, you weren't in E Sussex by any chance? You're paying these people so don't feel shy about asking questions and to be honest any clinic that leaves you so confused doesn't sound great. Let us know how you get on.
AFM, flights booked, depot injection appointment booked for 16th Jan, monitoring scan booked 4th Feb and meds all here! Stop BCP 21st Jan then start with the oestrogen, aspirin, and prednisone 26th! I presume I'll have a bleed sometime after 21st. Should get info in my donor v soon, it's all getting exciting!
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->