7 Weeks Pregnant and Accepted into Biz School!?

TTCfirstovr30

Reaction score
Need Advice please!

I am 7+3 pregnant with our first and we couldn't be more excited! I also just found out that I got accepted into business school to get my MBA. I am due July 23rd and school would start Aug 23rd. You should note, this is an EMBA program so I only go to school one weekend a month but teachers are saying it requires 20hrs a week dedication.

What are my realistic options:

1) Have a month to recover after birth and start school right after baby is born?
2) Defer a Year, start the following Aug 2018?
3) Hold-off completely, who knows where my life is going to be in a year from now?

I am in such limbo, want to be successful in my job and that requires an MBA. But I also don't want to miss out on my baby growing up and be at work/school all the time.

Congrats on being accepted!! I had to drop out of school when I was pregnant with DD, but after she was born I was able to do a lot more. I think it really depends on what you feel up to doing. For the first couple months its a lot of eating, sleeping and changing of diapers- but it depends on if your baby is easy and sleeps through the night vs a light sleeper that only takes cat naps. Maybe talk it over with your advisor and explain the uncertainties and see what they suggest?

What's your work situation? That's worth considering as well. i also think it's up to you and what you feel you can handle. Congrats X2!

Honestly I found having a baby pretty all consuming for the 1st few months. She was a pretty high maintenance baby though and didnt sleep much day or night. My second was easier going. I don't really have a point, maybe just that it's hard to say what the baby will be like.

Exactly BunnyN! My first was a breeze. She slept through the night from week one (which was very painful for me as my breasts wanted to feed her every 2 hours!) She was very contented baby who slept in her swing during the day or in my baby carrier that I wore around the house. The hardest times were during teething and a few colds she got. But I have also known some babies who seem to need no sleep. I am praying daily for another easy baby like my DD! I prayed so much for a calm baby during her pregnancy that I figure its a good idea this time too!

Thank you for all of the replies!

I have a pretty high-level job in corporate america. Leave house by 630am and don't typically get home until after 8pm. So the baby, unfortunately, will have to go into daycare during the week when I return back to work.

So it is a lot on my plate; full-time corp job, new baby, daycare and add school to that.

That is definitely a lot! I think it will totally depend on you how much you can take on, and each stage with adding a kiddo to the mix with present different challenges. What is the dad's schedule like? Will he be able to help balance the schedule a bit?

Congratulations. I have been studying law for 6 years, and my son is 3. When I fell pregnant with him, I put my studies on hold for 18 months as I felt so ill I couldn't face studying while pregnant, and I knew i wouldn't have the time with a newborn. When I went back to work he was 9 months old and I started the studying again at the same time. I won't lie it was really hard work, and took all my dedication to get studying done as well as working part time, keeping up with the housework and doing nice things during my days off with him. However I did it, and passed my final exam last year.

Are you able to defer and then decide for definite closer to the time? Then you'll have time to work out how you will find the time to commit, how your OH will be able to help out with childcare duties etc, and you will know how you feel about your changed priorities as a parent.

I definitely wouldn't recommend committing to starting with a one month old baby - when my son was that age all he used to do was feed all evening so I'd never have got any work done, nor was I alert or awake enough after all the night feeds!

Good luck :)

It is totally up to you but it does sound like you have a lot going on. Just remember the first months with a baby are special and you can never get them back. Try to leave yourself time to actually enjoy having a baby. You don't want to look back and feel like you missed it.

My advice is go. Once baby is here it is infinitely harder to go back to school. I know many women my mom's age who say their biggest regret was not getting an advanced degree before having kids because they kept saying they would go back but never could.

Especially if your work is already mostly online and you only go in on the weekends once a month. You just have to budget your time. You can read your book aloud to your baby while you study ;). It will be exhausting but remember it is just temporary.

As for a month, I have to/know many women who go back to work full time when baby is only 6 weeks. So you can definitely pull it off if it's what you really want.

--- ETA are you planning to work full time and go to school? Because I did that once when j got my master's degree and it was hell on earth. I cried every day. I do not recommend adding a baby to that. I actually was pregnant and had a cyst and between the health, work, and school I was I had a mental breakdown (thankfully far enough in the program to still get my degree) and I almost lost my job (thank you union)

I just found out I'm pregnant yesterday and am currently halfway through my masters program in HR. I also work full time and have a three year old. I'm already planning on taking a break from school, even if it's just for a semester as there will be a lot going on between caring for a newborn, hepping my son adjust, and then going back to work. It's a lot. School is tough to balance now, although I'm glad I'm doing it. Ifor you're able to defer one year, that's probably what I would do.

I'd recommend waiting, too. Bringing home a newborn can be very overwhelming in the beginning, and your ability to rest may be hindered if your baby doesn't turn out to be a good sleeper. My sister-in-law is really struggling because their newborn never sleeps.

Another thing to consider is the possibility that you may end up having a c-section. If that happens, the recovery time may overlap with the start of the school term, and your doctor likely won't give you the ok to drive before 6 weeks.

Good luck with your decision, and congrats!

Thank you for all your reply's. I think I secretly new that I would have to defer a year but always good to get advice from women who have already gone through it.

Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"