A Big Nerdy TTC and Preggers Party - Gamers/Dorks/Nerds/Enthusiasts Welcome

Welcome, penny! :flower: Wheel of Time was great, although I think I fell off after book 6 or so. :blush: I've been meaning to go back and re-read them!

If you push through, then Jordan's last ones, crossroads of twilight and knife of dreams, are worth it. And Brandon Sanderson was chosen to finish the books and he concisely tells the story. He keeps it fast paced. His version of mat is a little off, too much cussing, but just to finish the storyline!

Yay!! Another multi-faceted nerd :D
I've read the first three WoT books and loved them all! I can't wait to keep going through them but I get waylayed by library availability and/or other epic series :blush: I'm trying to balance it out with the Expanse series and the First Law series atm lol. I'm a little nervous with Sanderson having finished out the series though. I was NOT a fan of the way of kings.... but I guess just to wrap up the story how bad can it be.... I hope.
Who's your favorite Doctor? Have you watched the older ones or just the newer ones?
Did you do anything nerdy for nursery/birth announcements/names/etc for your LO?

What didn't you like of Way of the Kings?
He has other books that are less daunting. Like mistborn and elantris. Mistborn is a trilogy. But way of the kings, he came out saying how it would be something like 10-15 books and introduces so many characters. I had to reread it to follow some of it. And I was only interested in Kaladin and Shalan? can't remember her name.

But I love Sanderson because of his cosmere. All of his books, except the wheel of time, are connected and have a character that's in every book. So it's like a puzzle.

But mistborn is a good concise book, which a female lead that's actually not whiny.

Christopher Eccleston is my favorite. I love his dark broodiness. And sly humor

As for Penny, her real name is Persephone. And I just couldn't let go of the name Penny because of Dr. Horrible. I did not have a baby shower or announcements or anything, so no opportunity to do any cute ideas. Though I did go into labor while playing dnd with OH, we didn't really stop because I thought it was braxton-hicks. Though he eventually had to roll for me, and start dm-ing too...so I guess I should've known.

Her nursery is the gaming room too, so half is her crib, wardrobe, animals in lace nets in the corner, all yellow and grey and pretty.

Then *bam*, the other side is covered in swords all over the walls with dragon posters, painted figurines and miniatures, and the Magic dresser...so it's a bit strange walking in. We keep the video games up front though

I didn't really feel like Sanderson introduced too many characters, I feel like other epics have started by introducing more (SoIaF), but I just didn't CARE about ANY of them. You have a few near death experiences throughout the first book and none of them were at all moving. I do have to say I didn't know about the cosmere though.... that does make a good deal more interested in reading more of his work. I'll add Mistborn to my to-read list.
Good choice in docs too :D Out of the new ones (I haven't seen Capaldi yet, just finished the Angels take Manhattan last night), he's my favorite too. But my heart still belongs to the Fourth.
Can't wait to see the nursery/gameroom pics! How do you guys manage it though, doesn't gaming keep her up?

I've seen some of the first and second doctor, but haven't gone much into the second! So I shall have to look forward to the fourth!

No pictures because I'm dealing with a bad epidural steroid injection and have been basically bed-bound for over a week. I've even had to take pain killers, which worries me because I'm still breastfeeding. Sigh. They don't even work that well, just allow me to get to the kitchen to feed penny and myself a bit. Then collapse into bed again

And we co-sleep, so her crib is basically for show at this point. We didn't mean for her to co-sleep quite this long, but with back issues nighttime is a painful if I have to hold her or lean into a crib. So it's easier for me to just breastfeed her back to sleep if she wakes up. Which has created a bad habit. But we do what we can

But regardless we play DND during her play times, and stop right before her bed. So she plays on the floor while we play. One other person in our group is a father to a 5 month old. So our group is used to small babies and family matters. We hope to include the children in a year or two!

Does anyone game with their children?

We still play World of Warcraft together; DD will usually sit in one of our laps and watch if we log in to do something while she's still awake. :)

That's great that you have such a supportive gaming group though!

Hope you feel better :hugs:

So between my husbands constant interest, and all the ladies on this forum....
I think we might be going back to playing WoW lol
We're reactivating old accounts but I think I would be interested in rerolling to see some of the new entry level stuff and maybe roll a Monk.
Any server recommendations?

Penny - D&D is a great game to get kids into!! That's brilliant!
Our daughter is just getting to be the age where she can really play board games and whatnot so we've started with candyland and the like. But we also have a Risk night with a bunch of friends every few weeks, so she sees us play a little bit of that before bed. She definitely understands it's the same time of thing she does playing her games and she is eager to help roll dice and whatnot. So I think as her attention span gets a little longer she's primed for gaming mwahahah

We play on Spirestone, but it's a PVP server and I don't recommend it. I hate getting ganked while trying to quest! :dohh: I love Monks, one of the specs has a move that looks like Force Lightning and I always get so excited when I see it. :haha:

I love Candyland! I can't wait to play those games again. Sounds like you're raising her right! :winkwink:

Omg this thread is awesome. I didn't read every single response but the ones I read totally resonate with me. Well I live in the silicon valley so we're pretty much all nerds here :D.

I play video games, board games, and read sci-fi, fantasy. I see you guys discussing mistborn: DH and I just finished the series and Brandon Sanderson is friggin brilliant. I also read The Martian, which is being made into a movie. I really enjoyed it, it's written by a nerd so the problem solving makes a lot more sense imo. And of course I was a game of thrones fan way before it hit HBO.

I don't play much D&D or magic the gathering, but we play other obscure board/social games like hanabi, one night ultimate werewolf. We play with our friends a lot but I actually really want 2 player games for just DH and I when we're bored.

Also, I JUST finished watching The Last Airbender and fell in love with it. I don't know how I missed this show before but it's just the best. Anyways, so glad there are so many nerdy TTCers :D :flower:

I loooove the Mistborn trilogy. I really wish they'd make a movie or video game out of it. Someone optioned movie rights years ago, but never made it.

Is anybody else super stoked for Battle for Zendikar? I'm hoping I can get a ton of fat packs just for the lands. :haha:

They are making a video game for it!!! Ummmmm I can't remember the name but Sanderson is working closely with the production! Which I think is great. But my OH doesn't read, and I've tried to explain how awesome the books are. So I think he will understand the amazingness when he plays the game. Because he's more a video gamer and I'm the table-top/card/reader. I'm not very technologically adept.

Zendikar was the only set I skipped (busy with school) but wasn't that the one with those huge colorless creatures? I can't think of their name

Munchkin and a game called Boss Monster are good two player games

Welcome psycho :wave:
Do you and your OH prefer co-op games or competitive (for 2-players). For coop I highly recommend Pandemic and I'm very interested in picking up a new game called Darkness comes wandering. They're both quite playable with more than 2 too, so they work if other friends are looking to join in.

Wow, so many mistborn recommendations, I'll definitely have to look out for it.

Kat - We had been on Sentinel (RP, although we never actually RPed lol). I have to say I'm a bit anxious of a PvP server this late in the game.... seems like ganking may have become WAAAAY to easy/common now.

Yes, Zendikar has the Eldrazi. I didn't play the original set either (I started playing when Inistraad came out), but I'm super stoked for the return! Reading all the stories that go with the sets on the website really has me pumped!

(Plus, maybe I can send my daughter to college on Zendikar lands. :haha:)

Welcome psycho :wave:
Do you and your OH prefer co-op games or competitive (for 2-players). For coop I highly recommend Pandemic and I'm very interested in picking up a new game called Darkness comes wandering. They're both quite playable with more than 2 too, so they work if other friends are looking to join in.

Wow, so many mistborn recommendations, I'll definitely have to look out for it.

Kat - We had been on Sentinel (RP, although we never actually RPed lol). I have to say I'm a bit anxious of a PvP server this late in the game.... seems like ganking may have become WAAAAY to easy/common now.

Oh we have Pandemic. In fact I think that game could be one-player :D Also that reminds me, there's a board game called Galaxy Trucker that I wanted to get but I thought it was a little expensive. There's also a cell phone game in which you can play against the AI and I loved it. We could play either cooperative or competitive, I enjoy both.

I haven't played Darkness comes wandering though! I'm gonna look it up, thanks for the rec.

My bad, It's Darkness comes Rattling (not wandering)
I'll have to check out Galaxy Trucker.

Ginger - How are you and little Lucina doing? Do you call her Luci/Lucy or just the full name?

We call her all kinds of things (especially at night, when she's screaming and keeping us from sleeping :haha:). Luci is her main nickname.

We're doing well! Trying to teach her the difference between night and day. She's got her schedule all backwards, so we're very sleep deprived around here. Still, she's putting on weight, getting a little bit of chub, and is starting to be more expressive. It's pretty cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->