ADHD can now be diagnosed as young as 4

It is classified in the DSM-IV as a mental disorder. https://www.ldawe.ca/DSM_IV.html

But again, my PERSONAL belief is that it doesn't exist and is used by school professionals as an excuse for children they cannot handle. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but it is my belief.

It is classified in the DSM-IV as a mental disorder. https://www.ldawe.ca/DSM_IV.html

But again, my PERSONAL belief is that it doesn't exist and is used by school professionals as an excuse for children they cannot handle. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but it is my belief.

But what would they gain? Its a parents decision if they wish to medicate the child, thats even if they get as far as a diagnosis?

There are kids with adhd who make excellent grades(A's and B's) in regular classroom setting. so it is not always learning disability.

There are kids with adhd who make excellent grades(A's and B's) in regular classroom setting. so it is not always learning disability.

Thats very true, ADHD children can be very intelligent, and can achieve to a high level IF given the right support that they need.

Schools are very overcrowded these days. There is no real way for teachers to give each child the attention they need. It's very sad, but true. In an ideal world, I would have loved to give every child in my care individual attention, but it's just not possible. I feel that some teachers look for ways to make their jobs easier. :shrug: Again, my personal opinion from my experience. Everyone's experiences are different though.

Schools are very overcrowded these days. There is no real way for teachers to give each child the attention they need. It's very sad, but true. In an ideal world, I would have loved to give every child in my care individual attention, but it's just not possible. I feel that some teachers look for ways to make their jobs easier. :shrug: Again, my personal opinion from my experience. Everyone's experiences are different though.

I'm still not sure how it would make their life easier? I'm sure my Son having ADHD makes his teachers work alot harder if anything, from having to give him his medication in the morning (he often refuses it at home) to having to plan an IEP for him and so on? Or am I missing something?

Again, my experiences in California may be different from yours. In the US, schools are very overcrowded and kids with special needs get lost in the shuffle. Some just want the kid medicated or taken out of their classes.

Back on topic though. Four years old is too young to diagnose ADHD as the brain is not mature enough yet. It's premature because most kids at four and younger are hyper anyways.

^^This is what I was trying to get across. A good teacher will vary their curriculum to adapt to different learning styles. Most schools in the USA care about standardized testing scores as that dictates the funding given to the school.

^^This is what I was trying to get across. A good teacher will vary their curriculum to adapt to different learning styles. Most schools in the USA care about standardized testing scores as that dictates the funding given to the school.
me too, there are plenty of parents who don't want to medicate their child so I think teacher will have to do this anyway.

Back on topic though. Four years old is too young to diagnose ADHD as the brain is not mature enough yet. It's premature because most kids at four and younger are hyper anyways.

Not to mention, there is a new research that could interfere their diagnose: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-09-fast-paced-fantastical-television-compromise-behavior.html

Thats very true, ADHD children can be very intelligent, and can achieve to a high level IF given the right support that they need.

A lot of students who are intellectually gifted are misdiagnosed with ADHD because the normal classroom lessons bore them and they need to attend a separate Gifted & Talented program for part of the day.

Again, misdiagnosed...

no, some of them are in the gifted program (or other advanced classrooms and schools), but they still have ADHD behavior traits.

When a person with ADHD do focus and pay attention to a subject or interests, it is almost like addiction or obsession (they over-focus on it and tune out everything else). Almost like being absent-minded

Not to mention, there is a new research that could interfere their diagnose: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-09-fast-paced-fantastical-television-compromise-behavior.html

HA! I saw this! Never letting my toddlers watch Sponge Bob :p But other things like computers, video games, etc. are so fast paced and provide such instant gratification, it's no wonder these kids are bored out of their minds in the classroom. If this is the type of case, is it really a disorder if the child previously exposed to loads of television watching and such? I think you have to look at the whole life picture of the child to determine to root cause, which is very difficult for psychiatrists and therapists to do, unfortunately.

no, some of them are in the gifted program (or other advanced classrooms and schools), but they still have ADHD behavior traits.

When a person with ADHD do focus and pay attention to a subject or interests, it is almost like addiction or obsession (they over-focus on it and tune out everything else). Almost like being absent-minded

I'm certain no one in my G&T classes growing up were ADHD, but we often made smart-ass rude remarks in the normal classroom and were caught doodling on the margins of our assignments.

I think if kids get the label ADHD by professionals, even if they don't have that behavior at home, parents will start to "see" it if you know what I mean? My brother hated doing his homework and hated school, but he's a really smart person.

I remember in school doing a test to see which type of learning suits different individuals. For example, some can read and remember what they've read easily, some learn through movement, others use mind mapping etc etc.
Could it be that those diagnosed with ADHD don't fit in to the 'sit in a classroom and learn' style of educating?
I'm not rubbishing anyone's experiences here.
But in an ideal world if children could each learn in a way which suits them as an individual, teaching children according to their own specific requirements/needs do you think there'd be as much need for meditating etc?
I really hope this doesn't offend anyone, I'm finding it hard to get across what I'm trying to say :flower:

I can only speak from experience, Ollie has two teachers this year- the teacher he has A.M is actually also the SENCO, so she is very aware of ADHD/Learning disabilities and so on, in the first 2 weeks he had no medication at all due to a cock up with his prescription. They found him difficult, objectional and challenging. Since he restarted on his medication they have noticed a massive improvement in his behaviour. I guess it depends on the individual, I believe the support/medication go hand in hand- the medication improves Ollies attention span and concentration levels, which in turns makes him easier to support.

As i stated in my first post, I too believe 4 is too young to be diagnosed, I think they need to be in a school setting for at leasta coupleof years.

I think if kids get the label ADHD by professionals, even if they don't have that behavior at home, parents will start to "see" it if you know what I mean? My brother hated doing his homework and hated school, but he's a really smart person.

But a professional wont label a child with ADHD unless it is shown in 2 or more settings? At least not here anyway :shrug: I think theres a difference between hating doing homework (didnt we all) and not having the ability to do it due to ADHD.

A lot of students who are intellectually gifted are misdiagnosed with ADHD because the normal classroom lessons bore them and they need to attend a separate Gifted & Talented program for part of the day.

Again, misdiagnosed...

My eldest is in a gifted and talented group, my son has adhd, thats not to say a child cant be both iykwim? Its not about being one or the other, theres just too a massive range of an individual's abilities to say that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->