ADHD can now be diagnosed as young as 4

I am NOT a doctor or did I graduate college with a diploma in anything (LOL) but let me tell you I raised 3 boys (now 20,17 and 11) and i know the difference between acting like a boy and something very wrong with a child's behavior. My nephew is now 15 but from 3 I knew there was something wrong, he would not sit still would run all over cry bang his head have no attention span what so ever, I just knew something was wrong. I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to know as a mother something just isn't right. I thought he had Asperger's (He would pike in his hands) second guess was ADHD and I was right. His parents kept it hidden but we all knew and we didn't say anything cause I felt it was not my place to ask when it was so obvious they were in denial. he is now 15 and he is better but I just don't see him ever getting married or having a normal life, he doesn't have any friends he crys easily, i still think he has Asperger's and I think i am right but his parents will never admit that and I would never bring it up. I think he has ADHD also. Coming from a mother who has raised 3 boys I knew like I said at the age of 3 that something was not right. I love my nephew so much he is smart and talented and funny, he is a great kid, but I wish his parents would have shared things with us, but they didn't and I was not going to bring it up to them, it was not and is not my place. My point is you just know something isn't right at least that is my opinion.
:flower::flower:

Exactly, Ritalin would not work on someone without it. It would have the opposite effect.

Also, according to the guidelines for ADHD, children must exhibit their behavior for at least 6 months continuously. I can't imagine a parent analyzing their 3 1/2 year old as attention deficit if he or she can't sit still for long enough...

I also think about it this way. Imagine if you have a class of thirty 5 and 6 year-old children. 10% (roughly the average number of children in the U.S. diagnosed with ADHD), or 3, are taking Ritalin. One day, all the children stop taking their medication. Utter chaos breaks out in the classroom, the teacher would not be able to handle herself.

Now lets rewind to a classroom in the 1960's. Ritalin is on the market, but essentially no child takes the medication. Is the classroom utter chaos? No, in fact children were much more behaved and better disciplined due to stricter, consistent, more-involved parenting, lower divorce rates/better nuclear family stability, less instant gratifying activities (computers, television viewing, video games, etc.) for the overall for the general population. Of course there's a naughty kid or two who get sent out in the hallway for misbehaving, but that's the nature of mischievous children, ADHD or not.

Now I think that ADHD is still a very real disability, but when 10% of America's children are taking the medicine... that's complete phony. And if the mis-diagnosis rate is as high as it is now when children are being diagnosed at 8....imagine the catastrophe involved with diagnosing 4 year olds. It's actually more detrimental for a child as young as 4, during a very rapid and ever-changing stage of developmental growth, to be taking a medication that is mis-prescribed to him or her than some one older.

I was told by Ollie's consultant, that if an ADHD diagnosis is wrong, medication, such as Ritalin, will not have the desired effect :shrug:

It definitely would still have an effect. This is the reason why college kids sell Ritalin in the corner of the library at school during finals week. It can be turned into a black market drug among older teens, it was very common in my high school. Kids sniff it at parties.
I was also on Ritalin for 6 months in high school and it made me zombie-like and flat I was not myself anymore. It's almost like the opposite of drinking a 4 shot espresso from my recollection.

I am NOT a doctor or did I graduate college with a diploma in anything (LOL) but let me tell you I raised 3 boys (now 20,17 and 11) and i know the difference between acting like a boy and something very wrong with a child's behavior. My nephew is now 15 but from 3 I knew there was something wrong, he would not sit still would run all over cry bang his head have no attention span what so ever, I just knew something was wrong. I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to know as a mother something just isn't right. I thought he had Asperger's (He would pike in his hands) second guess was ADHD and I was right. His parents kept it hidden but we all knew and we didn't say anything cause I felt it was not my place to ask when it was so obvious they were in denial. he is now 15 and he is better but I just don't see him ever getting married or having a normal life, he doesn't have any friends he crys easily, i still think he has Asperger's and I think i am right but his parents will never admit that and I would never bring it up. I think he has ADHD also. Coming from a mother who has raised 3 boys I knew like I said at the age of 3 that something was not right. I love my nephew so much he is smart and talented and funny, he is a great kid, but I wish his parents would have shared things with us, but they didn't and I was not going to bring it up to them, it was not and is not my place. My point is you just know something isn't right at least that is my opinion.
:flower::flower:

Based off what you're describing, I would say Asperger's syndrome fits the description very well. I'm not a doctor either, nor do I know the child personally, but I have a college background in elementary (primary) education and have taken many, many classes on special needs.

the head banging sounds like tourette (sp?) I have many family with ADD/ADHD and they don't really cry alot. some kids are high needs rather they have add/adhd or not. Although, tourette syndrome and ODD is commonly seen with kids adhd/add

btw, I have seen many asperger's and autism getting married and even having children. Hardly any conditions and personity traits will keep them from being a sexual being. There's always someone out there who connect and understand them even if it seem they have no friends.

Also, according to the guidelines for ADHD, children must exhibit their behavior for at least 6 months continuously. I can't imagine a parent analyzing their 3 1/2 year old as attention deficit if he or she can't sit still for long enough...

I also think about it this way. Imagine if you have a class of thirty 5 and 6 year-old children. 10% (roughly the average number of children in the U.S. diagnosed with ADHD), or 3, are taking Ritalin. One day, all the children stop taking their medication. Utter chaos breaks out in the classroom, the teacher would not be able to handle herself.

Now lets rewind to a classroom in the 1960's. Ritalin is on the market, but essentially no child takes the medication. Is the classroom utter chaos? No, in fact children were much more behaved and better disciplined due to stricter, consistent, more-involved parenting, lower divorce rates/better nuclear family stability, less instant gratifying activities (computers, television viewing, video games, etc.) for the overall for the general population. Of course there's a naughty kid or two who get sent out in the hallway for misbehaving, but that's the nature of mischievous children, ADHD or not.

Now I think that ADHD is still a very real disability, but when 10% of America's children are taking the medicine... that's complete phony. And if the mis-diagnosis rate is as high as it is now when children are being diagnosed at 8....imagine the catastrophe involved with diagnosing 4 year olds. It's actually more detrimental for a child as young as 4, during a very rapid and ever-changing stage of developmental growth, to be taking a medication that is mis-prescribed to him or her than some one older.

I was told by Ollie's consultant, that if an ADHD diagnosis is wrong, medication, such as Ritalin, will not have the desired effect :shrug:

It definitely would still have an effect. This is the reason why college kids sell Ritalin in the corner of the library at school during finals week. It can be turned into a black market drug among older teens, it was very common in my high school. Kids sniff it at parties.
I was also on Ritalin for 6 months in high school and it made me zombie-like and flat I was not myself anymore. It's almost like the opposite of drinking a 4 shot espresso from my recollection.

I was told same as BlackBerry25, would have opposite effect as it is Amphetamine based :shrug:

I think that it is probably good...I am not for shoving medicines down a child's throat though. I just think if a child needs support in school, they should be getting it, and if that means getting a diagnosis younger, in order to be elgible for that support, then I am for it. My brother wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until AFTER he quit school, left home, and got into the wrong crowd. He got no support from the school whatsoever, and was simply labelled a 'bad kid'. He is now a druggy and criminal. :( I would rather a child accidently mis-diagnosed and get extra support, than a child not diagnosed and slip through the cracks.

*sigh* Oh brother. That was honestly my first thought. I'm a preschool teacher and some therapists were trying to say a boy in my class had ADHD. The problem is you have to look at the whole picture. Too often we pin ADHD on a child without looking at the home life or any life changing events that might have occurred in that child's life to make them act out. I don't believe in ADHD. I'm sorry, I just don't. Children learn differently. Schools are often taylored to one learning group. Some children just don't learn that way.

As for diagnosing it at age four, it's not really effective. A child's brain is not developed until age 7 and then they undergo another spurt of brain development in their teenage years. That's fact.

i have to say i agree ^^^ i was just trying to be tactful before and not hurt anyones feelings (u said it well ) and that i believe ADHD is not real.. i'm sorry.

its not as though there are no basis to disbelieve it, infact its a very popular believe x

*sigh* Oh brother. That was honestly my first thought. I'm a preschool teacher and some therapists were trying to say a boy in my class had ADHD. The problem is you have to look at the whole picture. Too often we pin ADHD on a child without looking at the home life or any life changing events that might have occurred in that child's life to make them act out. I don't believe in ADHD. I'm sorry, I just don't. Children learn differently. Schools are often taylored to one learning group. Some children just don't learn that way.

As for diagnosing it at age four, it's not really effective. A child's brain is not developed until age 7 and then they undergo another spurt of brain development in their teenage years. That's fact.

I learned the exact same thing in my child development classes, regarding the child is still in a "brain growth spurt" until the age of 7. Of course the child's brain will still continue to develop after 7, the majority of the developing happens all the way up until about the age of 7. And again, another "spurt" during the teenage years.

I also don't think an early diagnosis will necessarily stop a student from becoming a criminal and a drug addict. Perhaps that is a way of some one rationalizing his or her loved one's poor behavior. Just my opinion..

I actually find it really offensive that some of you 'dont believe' in ADHD. Would you also say Depression, Bi-Polar etc aren't real disabilities, that the people that suffer from such Illnesses have had trouble at home or grown up with alcoholics as parents? :dohh:

Believe me, ADHD is very much real, I'd love you to spend a week with my 7 year old and tell me it isn't.

I think that it is probably good...I am not for shoving medicines down a child's throat though. I just think if a child needs support in school, they should be getting it, and if that means getting a diagnosis younger, in order to be elgible for that support, then I am for it. My brother wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until AFTER he quit school, left home, and got into the wrong crowd. He got no support from the school whatsoever, and was simply labelled a 'bad kid'. He is now a druggy and criminal. :( I would rather a child accidently mis-diagnosed and get extra support, than a child not diagnosed and slip through the cracks.

I can honestly say that we tortured ourselves over the decision to medicate Ollie, we argued over it for weeks until deciding to try him on the lowest dose possible. For us, our min concern was his school, he was falling behind in a big way because he just didn't have the concentration/attention. My worst fear was letting things continue how they were until things, like your brother, were too late by that stage.
School has noticed a big improvement from him this term and I believe its a combination of the extra support he is getting and the medication. Its by no means a miracle cure, he is still difficult and challenging, I wouldn't want him to be any other way really than a typical 7 year old boy, but it does seem to help with his symptoms.
As parents we just do what we feel is best for our child :shrug:

I actually find it really offensive that some of you 'dont believe' in ADHD. Would you also say Depression, Bi-Polar etc aren't real disabilities, that the people that suffer from such Illnesses have had trouble at home or grown up with alcoholics as parents? :dohh:

Believe me, ADHD is very much real, I'd love you to spend a week with my 7 year old and tell me it isn't.

I definitely believe in it and I think your a great mom who only wants and does the best for her son.. :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

EDIT: don't want to upset people with my opinion

Disregarding a scientific fact is hardly an opinion.

I would call it something else. :wacko:

That is like saying you don't believe in cancer.

Wow. Anyways, I love how people who have no experience or education on the matter like to have such strong "opinions."

Edit: deleted.. don't want to upset people .. thats not my aim :)

On my phone... Havent read everything but wanted to say adhd is very real and until you have dealt with it on a personal level you really shouldnt comment if you dont want to offend.

I don't think people should hold back their opinion. This is the "news and debate" section. You should not enter this section and expect everyone to agree with you.

And I think there is a HUGE difference between cancer and ADHD.

Cancer isn't diagnosed with a list of criteria that asks the parent to judge whether or not their "often" and "sometimes" and "has difficulty." These are all very vague judgements to make on behalf of the parent and/or psychiatrist.

I once talked to my sister's boyfriend who is a nurse at a psychiatric clinic about diagnosing ADHD. He said a therapist could diagnose any kid given the set of criteria. One reason why the children are diagnosed with the medication is that it is often cheaper and insurance companies will cover the medication as opposed to behavioral therapy which is not covered, or is severely limited, by most insurance companies.

I also see another pitfall with the medication. Say a child has lack of attentiveness due to issues with his or her home/parents. In other words, the inattentiveness (ADHD) is a symptom of the real problem. When the parents see improvement on the child's attentiveness after the child is medicated, they will make no effort to change the dynamics of their home structure. The child is therefore crutched by the medication for the rest of his or her life inside that home.

And in regards to the comment on how people don't have experience or eduction on the subject, I have a college background in both education and biology. I also work at a school and deal with children on a day-to-day basis who are diagnosed with ADHD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->