advice on using taxis please.

Hoping

Reaction score
Hi,

I am taking Thomas to London next week, and we need to use a taxi to get to the train station, and then a cab from the station to Harrods which is where we are going.

My question is, do I have to take his car seat? I would rather have him in his carry cot/pram - his car seat does attach to the pram base, but I was worried about him spending too much time in the car seat.

What would you do? I want him to be safe, but also comfortable.

Thanks!

Catherine

I would use the car seat for safety

I use taxis sometimes,especially when i have done a big shop and cant get it on the bus home......i always get a 5 seater though and just wheel the whole buggy on and off and in this day and age there is soooooooo many of the big taxis about
xxxxxx

I would advise a taxi hun...i sometimes get them with my bubs...however i have noticed most of them tell me not to strap my baby up as ''they will be fine''...but its not their kids life they are risking...hate taxi drivers!...anyway hun be safe xxx

I also do what sonny says.But I also use a baby sling and put the seat belt around both of us.Have a fab day out xx

It's very dangerous to wear a seat belt around yourself and a baby - either on your lap or in a sling. If there was an accident, your body would jolt forward crushing the baby. I saw this on something on TV, and I remember it because I had done it a few times nipping to the shop with my Neice and figured she was safe.

I would take the car seat, better safe than sorry. xx

It's very dangerous to wear a seat belt around yourself and a baby - either on your lap or in a sling. If there was an accident, your body would jolt forward crushing the baby. I saw this on something on TV, and I remember it because I had done it a few times nipping to the shop with my Neice and figured she was safe.

I would take the car seat, better safe than sorry. xx

Oh crap.thank you.I drive everywhere but only had to do this twice.I asked my friend who was married to a cabbie and I was told so long as its a very short distance you should be ok holding baby.But seems so unsafe.I say take car seat and maybe use a sling so babys back isnt in one psition?

The guideline on the law side is that you can hold a baby instead of in a car seat if it is an unforseen and necessary journey. It is up the the individual how they see this.
I personally have held Tabs once on a car journey in the back seat as it was unplanned.
I dont drive so only have the car seat which came with the travel system we bought.
When i go in a taxi i keep her strapped in the buggy and butt it up against the chair wirth the brakes on and holding it too.

Can you use a black cab instead of a normal taxi? You can wheel the pram straight onto those.

Yeah agree with taking a black cab - my dad owns one & I always just wheel Jack & the whole pram in, swivel the pram so Jack is facing me in the opposite seat, & there is hardly room for the pram to move. Put the brakes on & if you have swivel front wheels you may want to put them in the locked position & I always keep a hold & a foot on the pram (just in case).:)

Taxis are exempt from the baby car seat law but obviously it's up to you...if you have a travel system then use that and strap baby in the car seat as usual.

If baby is on your knee, strap yourself in as usual and carry baby on your knee definitely never in the seatbelt that you're wearing as you will most definitely crush your baby even in a small shunt:cry:. Just hold baby very firmly and don't be tmepted to keep changing position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->