An amnio at 37 weeks?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Ablaski17, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Ablaski17

Ablaski17 mommy to a little girl<3

Hey guys.... my doctor is recommending an amnio at 37 weeks to check for lunch maturity to see if I can be induced or not? ....Has anyone ever had this? if so how did everything go ?

2. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Being my first I've obviously never experienced this myself - hopefully someone else who has will come along :)

Just wanted to say that 37 weeks is technically full term anyway and, unless there are mitigating circumstances, the lungs should be mature enough for the baby to be born without a problem. That said, I guess if you're being induced so early there must be an issue, so I'm probably being of no help whatsoever.

3. WhosThatGirl

WhosThatGirl Mommy of 4 amazing kids!

I haven't had one, but wish I had with my last pregnancy. My daughter at 37 weeks (induced due to low fluid issues), her lungs were NOT ready even though she was "term" and spent 2 weeks in the NICU on Oxygen. Some babies just need those last few weeks more then others, so I would suggest the amnio if inducing at 37 weeks.

4. DaisyBee

DaisyBee Mom of 2

I was induced at 37 weeks on the dot due to my rising bp (not pre-eclampsia though) and baby measuring small on ultrasound (due to my bp they said) I was not offered an amnio :shrug: I was very concerned being induced early that my baby would have to be in the nicu - especially since they said she would weigh between 41/2 & 5 lbs. She didnt have to be in the nicu at all - we both went home in 2 days- also she weighed 5 lbs 14 oz... so the ultrasound was off.

Good luck with your amnio & induction!

5. MandaAnda

MandaAnda Well-Known Member

As said above, 37 weeks is full term. Baby's lungs should be fully developed by then. If there's concerns that maybe baby's growth restricted or something, I wonder if just giving you steroids to mature the baby's lungs just in case would be less of a worry than an amnio?

And, DaisyBee, 4.5-5lb isn't really tiny to us NICU nurses, so it's good to know your little one might still not have ended up in NICU even if she'd been that small. But now I'm all scared of delivering a baby >7lb, as that looks huge to me!

6. vinnypeanut

vinnypeanut Sleep deprived!!

Hey i had my amnio at 18 weeks so a bit different from 37 but from what information i was given the risk with the amnio was that you would go into preterm labour. I cant see how there would be a risk now at 37 weeks cuz baby should be fine if u did go into labour.....i hope u know what i mean.
    And sorry if ive got that wrong but it was what i was told xx

7. jo04070

jo04070 Active Member

Just wanted to say that you NNU nurses do a fantastic job xxxxx, I am just hoping this time I manage not to see NNU though.

8. suzib76

suzib76 Well-Known Member

se i am not sure, its all very well saying at 37 weeks you are term and lo should be fine if you went into labour due to the amnio, but at the same time if they thought that they wouldnt be wanting to do it in the first place?

i have read about it on other forums before though so although is not common it does happen

9. cillybean83

cillybean83 Well-Known Member

i'm having a csection 12/28 and they are doing an amnio prior to my section and I'll be 38 weeks exactly. I don't know if it's nation wide but in my state you can't take a baby before 39 weeks without either an amnio to confirm lung maturity or medical necessity.

I'm just having a huge baby due to GD so they're taking him more for my comfort than anything else...

10. Baby2ontheway

Baby2ontheway Mother of 2 and expecting

oooo wow!! I am being induced 12-28 to!! I have to also have an amnio because the lungs in GD babies are said to mature slower! I am hoping little man is ready!

11. cillybean83

cillybean83 Well-Known Member

oh cool! if it helps, my doctor said he doesn't really HAVE to do the amnio, he's been delivering babies for 20 years and mine would be the first to not have developed lungs at 38 weeks that he's ever seen...but because of medical malpractice, the law, etc...it's just a legality :)

yay for our lil people being born on the same day!

what time is your section? mine is 9am :)