Any big momma's out there?

Hope you ladies, bumps and babies are all doing well!

Finally had my 20 week scan today and the little monkey was curled up in a ball and refused to move so we are for the moment, disappointedly, on team yellow and have to go back next week to try and get some more measurements. She did say she wasn't at all worried about the baby though so that's good!

Had the first of two glucose tolerance tests and it was fine, don't know why I was worried. I also had to see the consultant for my BMI and he literally just asked me if I was feeling ok, to book a growth scan at 38 weeks (eek baby will be nearly here by then!!) and a GTT for 28 weeks. Then he said 'Pregnancy is a good time to be boringly average!' and that was it, he was gone as quickly as he came. Here was me preparing myself for a lecture on risks and all sorts and he didn't say a word, it took less than 2 minutes and he doesn't seem to want to see me again.

I have to say noone has really batted an eyelid at my weight so far (BMI is 43 so I am a big girl) despite me being quite sure they were all going to attack me on sight! Hope that helps reassure those who have been as worried as me :)

growth scan at 38wks? that seems a little late hun, too late to do anything if it picks something up. I had a growth scan at 28wks to check how things were going.

My consultant was pretty much like yours, asked how I was, booked me in for a scan and then disappeared lol. I had no problems with anyone about my weight either - my bmi was 44 when I got my bfp - I was just treated like a pregnant woman with a few extra checks. Some ladies seem to get annoyed because they have to see a consultant but I think it's nice they just want to keep an eye on us when we are in a higher risk category.

Glad to hear everything is looking ok with your little yellow bump, let's hope it is more co-operative next week!!

I know I thought I misheard him when he said 38 weeks but then he said it again and wrote it down on a couple of bits of paper and they booked it there and then - not entirely sure on the point at that stage! Maybe if it is big at 38 weeks they would induce me earlier or something?

I know I thought I misheard him when he said 38 weeks but then he said it again and wrote it down on a couple of bits of paper and they booked it there and then - not entirely sure on the point at that stage! Maybe if it is big at 38 weeks they would induce me earlier or something?

Possibly. I'm sure you will have one earlier if they feel the need xx

So glad no one was negative about the weight. If anyone gives me crap, I will seriously switch doctors. After slapping them. :rofl:

They dont induce you if baby is measuring big, they would just have the doctors on standby in case of any problems once you go into labour, inducing you could cause more problems that they fix.

They dont routeinly go growth scans on women with a large BMI in my area, the only do them if your measuring a lot over.

Hope you ladies, bumps and babies are all doing well!

Finally had my 20 week scan today and the little monkey was curled up in a ball and refused to move so we are for the moment, disappointedly, on team yellow and have to go back next week to try and get some more measurements. She did say she wasn't at all worried about the baby though so that's good!

Had the first of two glucose tolerance tests and it was fine, don't know why I was worried. I also had to see the consultant for my BMI and he literally just asked me if I was feeling ok, to book a growth scan at 38 weeks (eek baby will be nearly here by then!!) and a GTT for 28 weeks. Then he said 'Pregnancy is a good time to be boringly average!' and that was it, he was gone as quickly as he came. Here was me preparing myself for a lecture on risks and all sorts and he didn't say a word, it took less than 2 minutes and he doesn't seem to want to see me again.

I have to say noone has really batted an eyelid at my weight so far (BMI is 43 so I am a big girl) despite me being quite sure they were all going to attack me on sight! Hope that helps reassure those who have been as worried as me :)

Glad to hear you were pleasantly surprised. :thumbup: And that baby is just fine. Hopefully the little nugget will cooperate during your next scan.

Just got a call to say I failed my GTT and have gestational diabetes :( Really worried and feel like I've endangered our baby by being so big :(

I have to go to a diabetes clinic on Thursday to find out all about it.

Oh hunny please don't blame yourself. Slimer women can get gestational diabetes too. It can be controlled by diet and they will just keep an extra special eye on you :hugs:

Aww hun dont blame yourself! If you look at the true stats being overweight, normal and underweight all have certain risks and benefits. If i manage to find what i was looking at i will post the link! X

ETA: i actually think it was in the debates section i will try find the exact thread!

Hi ladies,

Folly - sorry to hear you have GD, but please don't blame yourself - like Betty said it can be easily controlled so try not to worry xx

AFM - I'm a little bit worried, my SIL who is 20 weeks pregnant has got slapped cheek syndrome (I think they call it fifths disease in the US). This can have a risk to the baby, so she is getting herself checked out etc. I have seen her recently when she would have been contagious, so I also have to go in for a blood test to check whether I am immune or not. Has anyone else come across this at all?

I know someone who had it while I was pregnant but luckily I didn't see her when she was contagious. I really hope everything turns out ok for you and your SIL xxxx

I LOVE IT.

It's the cutest thing I've seen all day.

And I love that Pumba is almost bigger than her!!

Hi ladies, how are things today?

I went to a first time mums group at the clinic today which is run by the health visitor so I decided to get Fran weighed again because I knew she'd had a growth spurt.

She is now 16lbs 9oz and half way between the 91st and 98th percentile lines lol. That means she has put on exactly 9lbs since her birth 15 weeks ago today lol!

My hv is just so lovely though. She told the student nurse with her that I took to motherhood like a duck to water and said to me what a good mum I am. I said I feel like its what I was born to do and she told me she could tell the first time she met me that I was confident and would be ok.

So that really made my day, along with a free bus trip into town because the card reader had broken meant my friday the 13th wasn't the slightest bit unlucky lol.

Hi ladies how are you all? Things have gone a bit quiet again, I hope everyone is ok.

I went to the 2nd of 3 weaning classes today. They are really informative and I'm getting some good ideas form when we start Fran on solids. I really want to hold out to as close to 6 months as possible, but I just get the feeling she will be ready soon.

My baby is growing up so quickly :cry:

Thanks ladies - feeling much better about things! Been testing my blood sugar and right now I am within the numbers they set me without having to make much of a change in diet so that's positive!

They redid my anomaly scan today and managed to get all the measurements and we're team pink! So excited! :)

Good to hear Fran is thriving - no matter how big she gets she'll always be your baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->