Any big momma's out there?

Claire it's good to hear everything is going well for you - I had my first consultant appointment at 16wks and the midwife refused to listen for the heartbeat because she said it was too early - which I knew was rubbish!

Are you under consultant care for your bmi or something else? If it's just your bmi then you won't see a consultant during birth - at least I didn't, my care was all by the midwife. The only time I saw a doctor was when one came to stitch me up afterwards!

To be honest the reason they put you under consultant care is to cover themselves really. Most consultants will come in, ask you a couple of questions and then leave the room and all your checks will be carried out by a midwife as usual.

Some women get really offended by being put under consultant care but to me it didn't matter who I saw - as long as I got an appointment with someone!

Claire it's good to hear everything is going well for you - I had my first consultant appointment at 16wks and the midwife refused to listen for the heartbeat because she said it was too early - which I knew was rubbish!

Are you under consultant care for your bmi or something else? If it's just your bmi then you won't see a consultant during birth - at least I didn't, my care was all by the midwife. The only time I saw a doctor was when one came to stitch me up afterwards!

To be honest the reason they put you under consultant care is to cover themselves really. Most consultants will come in, ask you a couple of questions and then leave the room and all your checks will be carried out by a midwife as usual.

Some women get really offended by being put under consultant care but to me it didn't matter who I saw - as long as I got an appointment with someone!

Hiya, yeah it due to my bmi. Have to be honest, im like you. I dont really mind who I see as long as I see someone. I guess they will inform me of what the consultant does when I see them. Midwifes are prob nicer anyway!
Time will tell ha ha x

I saw a consultant at 10week and 12weeks because CF runs in toms family, anyway after she pissed me off again at my second appointment, i switched hospitals and i saw a consulatant after my 31week scan, just to go thru the results and that was that, no mention of a consultant again even after they decided i was in prem labour, i just had midwife care. X

My consultant had a heavy foreign accent and I could barely understand him at times lol. But he just asked me how I was doing, reviewed my notes and told me I would be booked in for a gtt and that I would need to see an anaesthatist to discuss pain relief options. And he also booked me in for a growth scan at 28wks automatically and said if that was ok and my gtt came back ok then I wouldn't need any more. As it was Fran was measuring small so I had 2 more scans after that but she had a growth spurt thankfully.

Apart from that he didn't really do anything and just got up and left the room so the midwife could do her checks lol.

Hi everyone. Wondering if I can join your fantastic thread? I got my BFP today and I'm so excited. I'm a size 18-20 and live in the UK so it's nice to see I'm not the only chubby mum to be!!.. I've booked to see the GP on thurs, what can I expect? xoxo

Hi everyone. Wondering if I can join your fantastic thread? I got my BFP today and I'm so excited. I'm a size 18-20 and live in the UK so it's nice to see I'm not the only chubby mum to be!!.. I've booked to see the GP on thurs, what can I expect? xoxo

Congratulations!
The Drs dont really do much, talk you thru a few do's and dont's and send a referral letter to the midwives, and if your not already taking folic acid will probs give you prescription but tbh its cheaper to buy yourself
Have a happy and healthy 9months xx

Congratulations and welcome to the club!

My doctor just asked me how I felt about being pregnant, worked out my estimated due date, gave me a copy of emma's diary and told me to book an appointment with the midwife at reception on my way out lol!

Thanks for the warm welcome haha! I'm so excited, still hasn't sunk in! So nervous the Doctor or Midwife might look at my pregnancy negatively because of my weight. Is this just me being a worrier? xoxo

In all honesty they probably won't bat an eyelid! Depending on your bmi you might be put under consultant care but they don't usually do anything other than ask you a few questions then leave the room so the midwife can do all the checks!

In all honesty they probably won't bat an eyelid! Depending on your bmi you might be put under consultant care but they don't usually do anything other than ask you a few questions then leave the room so the midwife can do all the checks!

Oh good! Haven't been docs in ages! Never had high blood pressure but I have had Low blood pressure. Hope it all goes well, app is on thurs so I will let you all know how it went :D xoxo

Good luck lollipopbop and congratulations !

.... I also had to tell my mw I had a high bmi (37) as she hadn't even considered it. Never had to see a consultant either . Each area is different but regardless I haven't heard anyone been made to feel uncomfortable regarding their weight so don't worry.

Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!

Good Luck at your appointment lollipopbop! Am sure that you will be fine x x x

My BMI was 38, i was quite shocked as id never worked it out before but around here your BMI has to be over 40 for them to put you under consultant care, we only saw one due to toms family history.

15 months later im back to my 'start of pregnancy' weight - finally :rofl: but im aiming to loose another 5ish stone to have a healthy BMI but more importantly to be able to show off my next baby bump sooner! :D

Thanks everyone! Hope it goes well, not sure about my BMI but I'm only 5'4 - 5'5 so it might be over 40! Nothing I can do about it now, just going to try and have a very healthy pregnancy! xoxo

Hey girls. Hope everyone's okay. I've been looking up 'overweight and pregnant' and scaring myself :( Some of the things the NHS say on their website are terrifying! Can of you girls share your pos/neg experiences. I've been wanting my BFP for ages and now I'm just dreading the GP apt!! ugh xoxxo

Hey chick I will reply to this a bit later when I've more time but in short I had a really positive experience xx

I agree with bigbetty. I am also on a bit of a mission to have a happy, healthy and enjoyable "sturdybird" pregnancy! My GP has been incredibly supportive and we have worked out a new programme of my medications, also the Practice Nurse is very supportive and encouraging. My OH is fantastic and supports my plan to get a wee bit fitter and eat healthier too... he even thinks I should eat Mackerel and Sardines as they are" crammed with Omega 3 oils" I have drawn the line at that one, I have only just this week braved tuna!!!! Good Luck with your GP hun. x x x x

I had no problems other than PROM and then prem labour but that could of happened to anyone. I never had high blood pressure or low. Infact the only things i didnt enjoy was a bad back (first and second tri) heartburn (the whole pregnancy) and sickness (6-16weeks) I couldnt eat after 4pm coz id puke it straight back up, the smell of meat and fish counter made me wanna puke infact i did once in the middle of tesco :dohh:
But they are normal preg symtoms nothing to do with my weight x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->