Any big momma's out there?

Hi all. I just wanted to say:

My BMI is 49, and my doctor found the baby's HB at 8+2 (I had a scan the next day, so I know that dates properly) I had to pull my 'apron' bit up, and she was pressing down on the pubic bone area.

So it will happen. Mine was to the right, which I suprised at, as if I was doing it at home, I would have thought it would have been in the middle area. LOL.

xXx

not sure wot my bmi is but im a size 20 and i had both my kiddies naturally had epi with my first and nothing with my second, as to the dopplers and scans i had my 1st scan at 8 weeks with my 2nd and they could see everything, and had 1st doppler around the 8 week tym and could hear perfectly, everything was fine during my pregnancys, the only thing i will say was with my 2nd i measured a week a head and my midwife said its cos i was a "finely built lady" lol bt it was infact cos my son was 9lbs 12oz lol. Good luck to all you lovely ladies and just think how comfy and cuddly your extra tyres will be 2 your newborns :) :)

Hi everyone! Glad I found this club, ever since I got my bfp last week I have been reading everything about plus size pregnancy ... so worried something will go wrong or the doctor/nurses will be rude about my size. It sucks that I worry about that stuff when it's suppose to be an exciting time!

Hi everyone! Glad I found this club, ever since I got my bfp last week I have been reading everything about plus size pregnancy ... so worried something will go wrong or the doctor/nurses will be rude about my size. It sucks that I worry about that stuff when it's suppose to be an exciting time!

Hi Meghan, congratulations on your bfp!

I love the support I get from this thread. We have all had different experiences, it's so nice to know that I'm not alone in what I'm going through.

I personally have had quite a positive experience so far, but if you find that you aren't being treated with respect just stick up for yourself - then come and have a moan on here lol

Hey dalesgirl - mine is 46 too!

Got my angelsounds today - no luck this morning but will try again tomorrow.....

I can defo feel a differance under my apron iykwim :wacko:, its a lot more firmer and i have a hard stone like lump when i press. Is this where i would place my doppler? I'm not even sure if i should get one yet, i might worry myself too much.

Can i ask a question about the birth? I met my consultant last week and he said because of my previous c-section we'll just wait and see what happens. But i received a copy of a letter he has sent to my GP, and in it he states that i will need a c-section again because of my size will be difficult. Surely bigger woman have vaginal deliveries! So has anyone else had this? My consultant seems like a bit of a to**er tbh.

Most consultants want you to have the most medicalised birth possible because they can control it more. Big women have been having babys for just as long as skinny ones have.

My consultant wants me to have a hospital birth with an epi put in as soon as im in established labour instead of the home birth i plan on having.

If you want a vaginal birth, you stick to your guns and have one.

Thanks, he also said "fat ladies have bigger babies" i reminded him that my daughter was 6lb and born full term and i was just as big then as i am now.
I'm willing to discuss all the options but i don't want to be forced into something that might not be necessary!

Thanks, he also said "fat ladies have bigger babies" i reminded him that my daughter was 6lb and born full term and i was just as big then as i am now.
I'm willing to discuss all the options but i don't want to be forced into something that might not be necessary!

Thats so not true! With my first baby I was a size 20 and my baby was 7lb 5oz this time around im a size 22 and my babies weight is estimated to be 6 1/2-7lb at delivery. So tell your consultant he is wrong :)

omg, i think some of these doctors need to go to back and learn some bloody bedside manner!!!, as a nurse i get so so fed up of doctors upsetting patients with their demeanour.

luckily so far i havnt had any negative comments, but i still have time for them to come.

in my opinion, if you were too big to have a baby you wouldnt have fallen pregnant in the first place!!

sod them and their opinions!!, they dnt get paid to give us their personal opinions on size they get paid to treat us medically, as equals without discrimination.

sorry ladies, this jus gets me all riled up, skinny women have jus as many problems as we might have, my sister was a size 8 when she was pregnant, and she developed blood clots, mastitis and high blood pressure!!

think i may have got out on the wrong side of bed this morning........

xxx

Hey dalesgirl - mine is 46 too!

Got my angelsounds today - no luck this morning but will try again tomorrow.....

I can defo feel a differance under my apron iykwim :wacko:, its a lot more firmer and i have a hard stone like lump when i press. Is this where i would place my doppler? I'm not even sure if i should get one yet, i might worry myself too much.

Can i ask a question about the birth? I met my consultant last week and he said because of my previous c-section we'll just wait and see what happens. But i received a copy of a letter he has sent to my GP, and in it he states that i will need a c-section again because of my size will be difficult. Surely bigger woman have vaginal deliveries! So has anyone else had this? My consultant seems like a bit of a to**er tbh.

Most consultants want you to have the most medicalised birth possible because they can control it more. Big women have been having babys for just as long as skinny ones have.

My consultant wants me to have a hospital birth with an epi put in as soon as im in established labour instead of the home birth i plan on having.

If you want a vaginal birth, you stick to your guns and have one.

There has been no proof that large ladies have large babys when they dont have gestational diabites so you can tell your consultant to go take a hike.

One thing that has worked for some people is when the consultant says you have a higher chance of blah blah blah. Ask how much higher. If they ask for clarification ask what the actual stats are for a person with a "normal" BMI and then ask what they are for some one with a high BMI so you can make an informed decision about the risks.

9 times out of 10 they cant give you them.

Power to the Big Momma's :happydance:

Too right sister!:haha:

I have decided I AM having a water birth - plenty of time to deal with al their protests...no bugger is going to stop me from the birth I want!

in my opinion, if you were too big to have a baby you wouldnt have fallen pregnant in the first place!!

xxx

I know this is what i've been saying. We had been trying for 3 years to get pregnant, its only when i'd lost 5 stone that my body started to "work" properly :flower:.

there have always been big mummies, my family is maltese and the following snippet of cultural history PROVES this. Fat ladies were a symbol of fertility, work that one out!

"One of the most notable periods of Malta's history is the temple period, starting around 3600 BC. The Ggantia Prehistoric Temple in Gozo are the oldest free-standing buildings in the world (photo). Many of the temples are in the form of five semicircular rooms connected at the centre. It has been suggested that these might have represented the head, arms and legs of a deity, since one of the commonest kinds of statue found in these temples is a fat woman — a symbol of fertility. The Temple period lasted until about 2500 BC, at which point the civilization that raised these huge monoliths seems to have disappeared. There is much speculation about what might have happened and whether they were completely wiped out or assimilated."

there have always been big mummies, my family is maltese and the following snippet of cultural history PROVES this. Fat ladies were a symbol of fertility, work that one out!

- When i say 'proves' I mean it proves it to me!

Has any of you bigger ladies had a VBAC? I really want a natural birth this time and would really welcome some succesful stories.

Has any of you bigger ladies had a VBAC? I really want a natural birth this time and would really welcome some succesful stories.

My little girl was born by emergency c-section on christmas day 2005 at 29 weeks as I developed pre-eclamptic toxemia.

My consultant this time however, is encouraging me to attempt a VBAC if the pregnancy continues without any complications :thumbup: They have said I will need an epidural though, as it keeps blood pressure down, and in the event they do need to get her out quickly by c-section...they will also only attempt one lot of induction if I don't labour naturally, as induction brings on labour fast and intense which increases the chance of scar rupture.

My little girl was born by emergency c-section on christmas day 2005 at 29 weeks as I developed pre-eclamptic toxemia.

My consultant this time however, is encouraging me to attempt a VBAC if the pregnancy continues without any complications :thumbup: They have said I will need an epidural though, as it keeps blood pressure down, and in the event they do need to get her out quickly by c-section...they will also only attempt one lot of induction if I don't labour naturally, as induction brings on labour fast and intense which increases the chance of scar rupture.

Thanks, i wish my consultant was as encouraging! It will be 10 years since my c-section but my weight seems a real worry to the doc. He said i probably wont be able to last the labour due to my size! But surely it would be better to give it a go?:shrug:

Whats your size got to do with you being able to cope with labour?

Your conultant sounds like a prick and if your not happy your well with in your rights to change

Your conultant sounds like a prick and if your not happy your well with in your rights to change

well put!!

He didn't even say it to my face, he wrote it down in a letter that he was sending to my GP. So i'm hoping when i see him next time i can ask him about this, and what facts he has.

Id have told him to get lost. I was induced with my first baby but it was a easy birth, no help, gas and air and I pushed him out in under 20 minutes. I might be big but Im fit and strong. I can lift/push weights a lot heavier than some of the men at the gym (and Im not muscley either). Its been my thin skinny friends that have had problems with the birth and often been too tired in the end to push baby out and needed different levels of intervention.

It seems many consultants talk out of their arses when it comes to bigger women. Just because we are heavy doesnt mean we are unfit and lazy :growlmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->