Any big momma's out there?

Thanks ladies I feel much happier with OH's video gaming. Still not getting him another xbox though - he really can't say no to any/every game that's going.

OMG - hospital bags?!? I've got 11 wks 5 days and I have no idea what to put in the hospital bag. I think I saw a thread somewhere about what should be in it - any ideas? I'm thinking:
mini toiletries
pjs/nightwear of some description (probably two sets)
maternity pants/pads and big pants
several nappies
baby clothes - 2 sets minimum
book
cd if using during birth

Now I'm stumped. Also, do you take a range of sizes in baby clothes because you don't know how big the baby will be? Same for nappies - what if it's HUGE and doesn't fit in newborn? How big should the bag be? At this rate I'm thinking I might end up taking a set of suitcases filled with stuff 'just in case'.

I think only a 10lb baby might not fit in newborn sizes...

Make sure you know what your hospital provides and what it doesn't... I seem to have read lots of contradictions.. some hospitals provide the maternity pads and even nappies etc.. it also depends on how long they typically have you stay ... here in the US its normal to stay 2 nights... I've heard girls in the UK say they were sent home after a few hours? (crazy to me!! lol!)

I've heard lots of girls say they brought all this stuff and didnt use any of it... then again you don't want to regret not bringing something you may need.

And the only way I got my husband to cut down on the number of video games he got was to give him a budget... without the budget he just buys what he wants... and I got him to agree to the budget when he wanted the PS3... Before we were married or even engaged he got a bonus at work and wanted to spend the money on the PS3.. he asked my permission first :haha: so I made him clean his room up, agree to a game budget, start his 401k etc... :rofl:

Yup - 6hrs if you have a straightforward labour. It depends though, you can stay longer if you want but a lot of people prefer to be at home because it's easier to rest in your own bed than on a ward. But I think they wait until you feel ready to go home - if you have worries about breastfeeding or bathing or stuff you can stay in longer. I haven't decided how I feel about it yet. I was partially thinking of maybe going for a stay at a birthing centre afterwards but I'm not sure - I'm a bit of a home body, if I feel rubbishy and need rest I'd prefer to be in my own bed. It's just a case of whether I can prevent myself from getting out of bed and trying to make tea etc.

I think the check-out process at my local hospital typically takes about 6 hours :rofl: There is a long checklist of things that have to happen and people that you need to see before you can go.. there is even a stupid 30 minute video to watch...

I'd be scared to go home so soon after birth, lol... I know you don't get sleep in the hospital and I know my friends had a horrible experience with incompetent nurses at the hospital... but I feel like it would still be nice to have the experts there in case I'm scared about something :haha:

I haven't toured yet, as it's still so early for me, but my understanding is that my hospital has those neato birthing rooms. It's a rather private suite with a couch, rocker, shower, etc. You can choose to keep baby in the room with you or send it to nursery. I think that won't be so bad for staying 2 days/nights in. If it was just a regular hospital ward though, I'd want to go home as soon as the cord was cut I think! Lisa, I've never heard of this video thing...is it only at your hospital, or all US maternity wards? Do they really think a 30 minute video is going to be all you need to prepare for taking baby home????

lol, I'd never heard of the video thing.. it might just be a California thing, or might be something they came up with to reduce lawsuits ... who knows? Lol
I was just warned by my friends to get started on the checklist early and not wait until I was ready to leave because it takes hours to finish everything and to get that video out of the way early.

Who knew a 30 minute video was all it took to safely raise a child? ;)

At my hospital you can go home after 2 hours that's what I'm hopeing to do I stayed in for a day with my first but i hate hospitals

I think my hospital keep you in for 6 hours, im not sure. Hopefully i wont have to go in at all.

For birth plans try hippbabyclub.co.uk (should be able to access even if you're in the US or elsewhere globally as long as you type in .co.uk) they've also got a list which suggests what you should take in your hospital bag and what you'll need at home too. Awesome! Of course Hipp may have other sites - I'm just not sure if they're international or not.

lol, I'd never heard of the video thing.. it might just be a California thing, or might be something they came up with to reduce lawsuits ... who knows? Lol
I was just warned by my friends to get started on the checklist early and not wait until I was ready to leave because it takes hours to finish everything and to get that video out of the way early.

Who knew a 30 minute video was all it took to safely raise a child? ;)

Nope they have the video here in Missouri too... I watched it with my friend while she was in I am not looking forward to having to watch it again

you'll find a little check list on emma diary website i used this with gert an took in a small suitcase i was only i hospital for 7 hours after having her an never used half of it.

i think 2 hours is a little quick i was soo weak after couldnt even walk to my new room. if i would have known i could have stayed in a little longer i would have. but not this time got to get back to gert asap

Hi Big Momma's! I just wanted to pop in and let you all know that I hope to be joining you all very soon! I also wanted to let you all know that I have just laid awake all night reading this entire thread! HAhahahah!

My name is Brandy. I am 33yrs old and am obese. I wear a size 24. and I am 5'7". I am having my Mirena removed tomorrow!!!!! And will will be TTC immediately!! Yeah!! Anyway, you all made me laugh, and tear up, and every other emotion in between while reading and I already feel like I know each and every one of you and that this is where I belong!

Hey Brandy - same size/height here! :) Also a former Mirena user! Wishing you the best of luck in TTC!!! :)

Lol. Thanks and welcome, Brandy. What's a mirena?

Laura, think I might look at the Emma's diary one because, although the one I got off hipp was great, my bad is already massive and I haven't even managed to get half of the stuff it says together - I'll be taking an entourage with me at this rate.

I had my GTT today. Ew. So they were running three quarters of an hr late to start with and I was panicking that I wouldn't be able to eat before I went back to work. It was not an enjoyable experience - being given about 300ml of warm lucozade in a cup that they were obviously using for all the patients or when she couldn't find my vein (despite the phlebotomist badge she was wearing) and so started wiggling the needle around until she hit something - nice. Well, it's done now and hopefully will not need to be done again.

I felt quite shaky and weird while I was waiting for my two hours - did anyone else feel like that? It's gotta be a bad sign, hasn't it? I really really really really (and so on) want it to come back ok because I have my heart set on an active birth. Fingers crossed.

Hi Big Momma's! I just wanted to pop in and let you all know that I hope to be joining you all very soon! I also wanted to let you all know that I have just laid awake all night reading this entire thread! HAhahahah!

My name is Brandy. I am 33yrs old and am obese. I wear a size 24. and I am 5'7". I am having my Mirena removed tomorrow!!!!! And will will be TTC immediately!! Yeah!! Anyway, you all made me laugh, and tear up, and every other emotion in between while reading and I already feel like I know each and every one of you and that this is where I belong!

Hi Brandy - welcome to the Big Momma's Club!!!!

Can't believe you sat and read the entire thread in one sitting - that is dedication hahahahaha!!!

Hi ladies how are we all today???

I have gone back to work today, very tired but only another 8 days to work then I'm on maternity leave!!!

LittleMrs - I've got my gtt next Monday so unfortunately can't compare experiences as yet, but fingers crossed you get a negative result xxxxx

I really need to get my bottom in gear and start planning what I'm going to pack in my hospital bag, feeling very disorganised at the moment!!!

hi all, up early today got another growth scan to check on the duchess :D

cant wait to see her again its been 4 weeks already :O

goin to speak to the midwife today, did some of the dipsticks at home (kno i shouldnt have but i took them from the hospital i worked at) and ive had some protein and very acidic urine so im thinkin UTI or something :(

anyway ladies happy 28 weeks to me :D hope u all have a good day xxx

Hi Everyone!!

My birth story!!

Arrived 6 days early on the 13th October (thankfully, i was really starting to struggle)

Having had very Strong and irregular BH contractions since the previous Tuesday, i finally went into labour the following Tuesday night!

Was quite slow to start, and had to be strapped down to the bed the whole way through cos my blood pressure was high, and baby wasnt being very reactive in my tummy, so they were monitoring him.

They broke my waters at 5cm to see if it would speed things up, and wake up the babe, but it didnt. so they put me on a drip.

Gas and air became my best friend at this point. Whoever made that stuff needs a medal!!

from 5am to 7am only dialated 1cm up to 6cm so i gave in to request an epidural as i couldnt take it. Anethesist took AGES coming round. but i had gone from 6cm to fully dialated within an hour! so i managed to push him out in 4 pushes and just gas and air. Was VERY pleased with myself.

Cant describe the power i felt giving birth. unbeliveable!!

So Vincent Edward Boyce arrived on 13th October 8.12am. weighing 7lbs 14.5oz

Attachments

• img_0239.jpg
    img_0239.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi ladies!

Terrri - how did it go at with the midwife?

I've just popped on quickly tonight to have a quick peek at what's happening - DH and I have just finished putting the cot up so we are both a bit shattered - although I just sat there and passed the bits lol!!!

Just the chest of drawers to put up now then all the furniture is ready - it's sooo exciting!!!!

Oh he is just gorgeous!!!!! Massive hugs and congratulations to you!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->