any other over 35 first time mums?

Hi ladies! :wave:

Niko has 2.5 oz this morning I hope that means he'll sleep a bit longer & let me get some BnB time. I really thought he'd be feeding less often & drinking more per feed by now. :shrug:

Angel....You want MORE? :wacko::haha:

Kizzy....those allergic reactions seem scary...

Peace...When did Avery start on solids?

Does everyone have an established bedtime routine? If so, what do you do?

Avery started on solids at 5.5 months, but the first month it was cereals and mashed fruit. Now he eats pretty much anything except cow's milk.

Avery has a routine only once in his room at bedtime. He has nursery rhythms, I put lullaby's on and special lamp that reflects stars on the ceiling of his room. He now self settles. I use to rock him to sleep every night, he doesn't need that anymore. Bit we don't have set "bath, snack, bed, type of thing". How about you?

2.5 ounces I think is good for his age his tummy is still very small.

We don't have a set route yet.

Sometimes we give him a bath in the evening.
Sometimes we take him for a walk around the neighborhood.

I'm just wondering when we should start a routine.

Hi! I just came across this thread, and am very much liking it. I haven't read through all the posts, but I will.

My story: We started trying at 34, and I got pregnant immediately, but lost the baby at 7 weeks. Then at 37, I got pregnant again: chemical. Two cycles later, ectopic. Somewhere in there, I discovered I had PCOS, which explained my totally erratic cycles.

Around year after the ectopic, we finally got into the fertility clinic in my city (loooong wait time and no other options), and I tried two cycles of IUI and Clomid. No go. Then, three cycles of IUI and injectables. Three days before we were about to start IVF, I discovered I was pregnant from the last IUI. I was so scared that first trimester, but we made it through, and I finally have my baby son, Jonah. I just turned 40 last week.

As for how it's going, I have an amazing situation. My husband is an historian and lectures at the University, but only for an hour a day. The rest of his work he can do at home. I'm a SAHM. This means that we have been raising the boy equally, night shifts and all. And he's a very easy going baby. So, things have been tough at times, but I know that I really have nothing to complain about. I also know how rare my situation is, and thank god for it every day.

You are so blessed, great story! Congrats on your little boy. So nice to have a hubby home who can be hands on. I use to live in Canmore Alberta many years ago, gorgeous town, I miss it sometimes. What town are you from?

Clio - You are lucky!

My husband has a nice, cushy Uni gig, too...but not as nice as yours. :winkwink:

Next week he is back to work half-time & the following week will be full time.
I'm dreading it! It has been so nice having him home. :cloud9:

Jonah is adorable!

Our bedtime routine consists of fresh nappy, darkened room, white noise on, star projecting frog on, swaddles and bottle. Then we rock them to sleep and I sing very softly twinkle twinkle but with my own made up silly words. We bathe them twice a week but always before their bedtime. This works really well for Sebastian and worked ok for Dominic till about a week, ten days ago. I think he is in the 4 month sleep regression thing cause it is soo hard to settle him and he wakes constantly and screams his head off. He is not hungry and he does not have colic, he just wants to be held and rocked some more :S
When I think of this, I think wanting another child is madness lol and it is and we most likely won't have another. But I cannot deny that I would love a lil girl to complete our family. But we cannot afford it so... :shrug:

You are so blessed, great story! Congrats on your little boy. So nice to have a hubby home who can be hands on. I use to live in Canmore Alberta many years ago, gorgeous town, I miss it sometimes. What town are you from?

I live in Edmonton, but I'm an Ontario/Toronto transplant. We came out here five years ago for my husband's work. I have to admit that I'm still adjusting to Edmonton.

Oh, you're in Muskoka! I would kill to live there. Even in the winter!

Clio - You are lucky!

My husband has a nice, cushy Uni gig, too...but not as nice as yours. :winkwink:

Next week he is back to work half-time & the following week will be full time.
I'm dreading it! It has been so nice having him home. :cloud9:

Jonah is adorable!

Thank you!

I know, I'm crazy lucky. But I feel like such a wimp when I hear about mums with colicky babies. Or even those who are the sole caregiver. I read other's posts and wonder "how on earth do they do it???"

Our bedtime routine consists of fresh nappy, darkened room, white noise on, star projecting frog on, swaddles and bottle. Then we rock them to sleep and I sing very softly twinkle twinkle but with my own made up silly words. We bathe them twice a week but always before their bedtime. This works really well for Sebastian and worked ok for Dominic till about a week, ten days ago. I think he is in the 4 month sleep regression thing cause it is soo hard to settle him and he wakes constantly and screams his head off. He is not hungry and he does not have colic, he just wants to be held and rocked some more :S
When I think of this, I think wanting another child is madness lol and it is and we most likely won't have another. But I cannot deny that I would love a lil girl to complete our family. But we cannot afford it so... :shrug:

i know it's a cliche and you must be really fed up of hearing it, but i really admire you for dealing with two babies at the same time - i can hardly copewith one!

clio - great story!

indigo - we have a very flexible routine - nappy change, pijamas, bath every other day, sometimes baby massage, dark room, lullabies or white noise (depending how tired/overtired he is), loose swaddle and feed (BF). he's usually asleep by 8-8:30. he doesn't self settle, so nursed or rocked to sleep.
we only started this at around 3 months I think!

i know it's a cliche and you must be really fed up of hearing it, but i really admire you for dealing with two babies at the same time - i can hardly copewith one!

LOL not at all fed up actually, thank you :) But I do have a lot of help from my OH. He isn't working at the moment and we take the nightwatch in turns. When he was working (til about a month ago) and he could only give me a night maybe two on weekends and I was on my own with the boys most of every day, yeah that was hard. But it is odd what one can cope with when one has to :) Nevertheless, I do sincerely hope that my boys will be sleeping better by the time he goes back to work! :wacko:

Hi i have just found this thread and thought i'd share my ttc story. We started ttc when i was 37 and OH was 45 after 20 years on birth control it took 18 months. We lost our precious Lily May at 18wks my heart broke in two. It took another 6 anxious months to fall again, i was starting to feel really desperate as i was by this time 39 yrs old. We went for our first scan at 9 wks and was told i was having twins and omg was i excited. I was so so nervous and worried the whole pregnancy i couldn't really relax and enjoy the pregnancy. At 4o yrs old i gave birth to Emily and Charlotte 5 wks early and they are the most wonderful babies in the whole world. OH works away most of the time so it's just me and the girls on a night time and in the daytime i go to my parents and they help with some feeds. I am knackered but i wouldn't change a single thing.

Clio I too moved here from Toronto! I am very glad I made the move but still adjusting also.

Tweety pie, great story, congrats to you! I so relate to that desperate feeling, I had that with Avery, he was conceived when I was 40 after 2 years of trying and one m/c. Sorry about your loss of Lily May, how heart breaking :( must have been very difficult to cope with.

welcome to the thread tweetypie and congratulations on your girls!! so sorry about your loss :hugs: i too got pregnant at 40 after an ectopic pregnancy and a miscarriage and remmeber how extremely anxious i was, but luckily we're all here now!!

Clio I too moved here from Toronto! I am very glad I made the move but still adjusting also.

Tweety pie, great story, congrats to you! I so relate to that desperate feeling, I had that with Avery, he was conceived when I was 40 after 2 years of trying and one m/c. Sorry about your loss of Lily May, how heart breaking :( must have been very difficult to cope with.

Oh good, another Toronto person! Where did you live?

Tweety pie, what a story, and congratulations! I remember that feeling as I neared 40; I felt like a window was closing, and no door was going to open...

Indigo, I wouldn't worry. We FF right from the start and I was so concerned by how little he would take (as much as yours, essentially), and it went on for months. Moving up to 4 ozs at around 4 months was a major milestone. And even then, it seemed too little. But he is slurping down 8 to 12 ozs now. Which takes sooooo long... :nope:

As for bedtime routine, I've got nothing new to add. Bath, dark room, white noise machine, bottle and sometimes snuggles and falling asleep in our arms, and sometimes not. I think he's just too hot right now for snuggles... We didn't start our routine until 2 and a half months, though, when he suddenly seemed ready for it. Before that, we just winged it.

At one time I lived in Brampton (YUCK) then lived in High Park I liked it quite a bit there. My OH;s Mom lives at Spadina and Front, and I have a few friends who live West End. I worked in North York. How bout you?

At one time I lived in Brampton (YUCK) then lived in High Park I liked it quite a bit there. My OH;s Mom lives at Spadina and Front, and I have a few friends who live West End. I worked in North York. How bout you?

Oh wow, I love the High Park area. I would have killed to have lived there. The entire time I lived in Toronto, I was in school, so I rented apts--some crappy, some awesome. I lived in little Portugal, Little Italy, the Annex. I moved around a lot. I LOVE that city and miss it a lot.

Hello ladies:)

I am so glad they moved my first over 35 thread to this area ( which I have never been here before :dohh:). I got to find you girls:)!!! I will be hanging out here now more often:).
Let me quickly introduce myself and my baby boy.
Hubby and I tried for about 1 year to have a baby and after no success my obgyn put me on Clomid and after 6 rounds I got my bfp:). Had a great pregnancy! I had to have a an emcs because his cord was coming first but it was a good thing because if he had come vaginally he would probably bled to death since we found out later I had a rare placenta issue called vasa Previa. But God is great and my baby boy is here to stay. :happydance:
He is almost 5 months , I am 38 and my hubby is 42 and we are a happy family:).
Looking forward to read more of your stories and questions:).

Oh good, another Toronto person! Where did you live?

Tweety pie, what a story, and congratulations! I remember that feeling as I neared 40; I felt like a window was closing, and no door was going to open...

Indigo, I wouldn't worry. We FF right from the start and I was so concerned by how little he would take (as much as yours, essentially), and it went on for months. Moving up to 4 ozs at around 4 months was a major milestone. And even then, it seemed too little. But he is slurping down 8 to 12 ozs now. Which takes sooooo long... :nope:

As for bedtime routine, I've got nothing new to add. Bath, dark room, white noise machine, bottle and sometimes snuggles and falling asleep in our arms, and sometimes not. I think he's just too hot right now for snuggles... We didn't start our routine until 2 and a half months, though, when he suddenly seemed ready for it. Before that, we just winged it.

Just noticed your baby boy has the same name as my dad!!! I am Brazilian so they call him Jonas there:). Beautiful name!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->