Anyone else buying a present that they hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilicat

Mother of two boys
Reaction score
I was just curious, since I am in a position where I will be buying my son a toy for Christmas I hate.

I think it is annoying, has only one (boring) function, makes a horrible noise, will waste loads of batteries and is (probably) badly made.

It is this penguin toy:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000GX4...TF8&colid=3LAEYU9XEP4AQ&coliid=I1R51VQO3VP7NS

I have it saved on my list as '******* penguin toy'!

The reason I am getting it is because he will love it. He is autistic and hard to buy for but he really likes penguins and he likes things that having a continuous motion like toy trains going round the track. He also likes saying 'up the stairs and down the slide' with the Little People toys while putting them down the slide because that is what he does at the park.

The idea of penguins going up the stairs on their own and sliding down the slide with delight him. So he is having the ******* penguin toy for Christmas and it made me curious as to whether anyone else has something they hate on their Christmas shopping list.

How much would your child have to love something to make you buy a toy you hate?

Not buying anything I hate but I know other people will. My daughter isn't even interested in the noisy toys.
Just in case your looking for anything else for your lo Tomy do a toy called aquafun skiing penguins. It's a bathtoy. I think they do a polar bear version to. They put the penguin on bottom of ramp which pulls penguin upwards and then when get to top they ski down a slide into bath top. My lo adores hers and lasted a long time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000NO26P0?pc_redir=1408130379&robot_redir=1

Thank you, I will look in to that. He doesn't usually much go for bath toys but that might tempt him.

OH DEAR GOD NO, don't buy him that toy!!!

My friend's little boy has one and it is THE most annoying toy in the whole world. Its so loud and you can't make it any quieter. Whenever my daughter goes round to play they hunt out this toy (my friend tries to hide it) then they play with it for 2 minutes before leaving it blasting out non-stop eardrum-splitting music and whenever we try to turn it off they come charging back in and turn it on again :dohh:

Its also surprisingly indestructible despite its apparent flimsiness. We've tried to "accidentally" break it on a number of occasions and had no luck. If a nuclear bomb went off and destroyed the whole world, this toy would still be perfectly intact, sitting on a burning pile of rubble, blasting out its soul-destroying tune while the cockroaches look on in horror.

The bath toy that bex suggested looks loads better :thumbup:

The bath toy doesn't do annoying music lol. I'm expecting people to buy my two noisy toys which with my lo are ignored. She would rather sit there and make up stories with her dolls and horses. I find the vtech toys the most irritating. I think toy company's just want to torture us and then charge usva fortune in batteries

Well im going against the grain my LO has had that toy for years and still loves it. It doesnt eat up batterys ive never had to change them yet so might not be as bad as you think.

My kids have that toy. If you can sit in a different room while LO plays with it you might be able to maintain your sanity. Otherwise you might want to ask Santa for some ear plugs!

ETA: while it's not my idea of the perfect toy, the kids really like it and I'm sure your LO will love it

Aw, I had that toy (or something very similar) when I was little, I loved it! Not sure how my mum felt about it though.

That is very annoying! We had it the other year for my penguin obsessed son. It was listed as a 'game' at the time, but they just go round and round and round.
I have in the past bought things I didn't really want to, last year for example it was Gooey Louie. But they had a lot of fun with it.

I was just curious, since I am in a position where I will be buying my son a toy for Christmas I hate.

I think it is annoying, has only one (boring) function, makes a horrible noise, will waste loads of batteries and is (probably) badly made.

It is this penguin toy:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000GX4...TF8&colid=3LAEYU9XEP4AQ&coliid=I1R51VQO3VP7NS

I have it saved on my list as '******* penguin toy'!

The reason I am getting it is because he will love it. He is autistic and hard to buy for but he really likes penguins and he likes things that having a continuous motion like toy trains going round the track. He also likes saying 'up the stairs and down the slide' with the Little People toys while putting them down the slide because that is what he does at the park.

The idea of penguins going up the stairs on their own and sliding down the slide with delight him. So he is having the ******* penguin toy for Christmas and it made me curious as to whether anyone else has something they hate on their Christmas shopping list.

How much would your child have to love something to make you buy a toy you hate?

I got my son this a few months back. Made him happy for about a week and then its been stuck in a cupboard lol

I haven't bought anything I hate this year but in the past I have. Crappy quality toys that ended up breaking really fast, so decided to try and only buy stuff that will last now. This year he's getting mostly playmobil and lego.

The thing with him being autistic is the fact it just goes round and round is what appeals to him the most. He loves to see things that move continuously.

He doesn't play as such as he doesn't understand imagination and just likes repetition, the more it does the same thing over and over again the more he will like it. I showed him the video of it and he was so delighted.

I am used to the annoying music aspect, he has some horribly annoying toys. This one will be kept in his bedroom to stop his little brother wondering off with the penguins so he will likely watch it before he goes to bed.

I am somewhat immune to the annoying noise aspect as due to his love of repetition he tends to get fixated on music toys, on on particular button and will press that button continuously till it runs out of batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"