Anyone ever been pregnant but had a negative hpt till really late?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would make. Me 28 days past ovulation when I finally took a test. But I was two weeks late for my period with my current lo. My first we had no idea when my last normal period was so we based it on that one day period.

Hi I posted on a similar thread so sorry for doubling up. I got my BFP on CD53. On CD46 I had s negative HPT and spotting on CD47, which I think must be IB.My normal cycles were an average of 26 days.

I don't know yet how far I am (early scan on Friday) but I just wanted to tell you what I did. At 2 weeks late I went to see my GP. (They will probably tell you to wait a bit longer if you go and see them sooner). I had a blood test to check my hormone levels (I don't think they checked hcg) and general health. My results came back following Monday. I was all healthy and hormone levels said I was in the LP of my cycle. I waited another week tested and got my BFP.

The dr will send you for tests but you will need to be patient. Good luck

No offense taken Josephine. I have been there and with all my issues, I know how bad it feels when one wants to be pregnant.

You are right about progesterone being higher when pregnant. However, a CD 21 test (which by the way should never just be performed on CD 21, but at 7 DPO instead) would not be able to show you if you are pregnant.

For example, let's take a 30 day cycle and say the woman ovulates at CD 16. She should get the prog. test done at CD 23 (7 DPO). If she is indeed pregnant implantation would occur anywhere between 6 DPO - 9 DPO most likely. At 7 DPO the chances of there being enough HCG in a pregnant woman's body to raise progesterone levels are slim to none. Even if the baby had implanted early at 6 DPO that would only give you an HCG level of 5-10, not enough to trigger a high progesterone level. Higher than normal progesterone when pregnant wouldn't really be apparent until at least 14 DPO.

To answer your question I wish I knew more about UK levels but I live in the US. In the US here are the progesterone levels you should expect to see:

at 7 DPO -
at least 10 to show healthy ovulation
at least 15 if the cycle was medicated

at 14 DPO -
a level of 25 in a pregnant woman (with a bare minimum of 10)

Hope that helps a bit!

To be honest, I doubt a higher progesterone level will trigger your doctor to send you for an hcg test. Why don't you make an appointment with your GP, explain your situation and ask for hcg to be added to the testing panel? You might find that he/she agrees just to get you out of his/her hair - it happened to me once and the blood test came up positive when the NHS pee test hadn't :D Before you get excited, I was 10dpo and my hcg was 16miu. The NHS pee tests only pick up over 25miu :haha:

No offense taken Josephine. I have been there and with all my issues, I know how bad it feels when one wants to be pregnant.

You are right about progesterone being higher when pregnant. However, a CD 21 test (which by the way should never just be performed on CD 21, but at 7 DPO instead) would not be able to show you if you are pregnant.

For example, let's take a 30 day cycle and say the woman ovulates at CD 16. She should get the prog. test done at CD 23 (7 DPO). If she is indeed pregnant implantation would occur anywhere between 6 DPO - 9 DPO most likely. At 7 DPO the chances of there being enough HCG in a pregnant woman's body to raise progesterone levels are slim to none. Even if the baby had implanted early at 6 DPO that would only give you an HCG level of 5-10, not enough to trigger a high progesterone level. Higher than normal progesterone when pregnant wouldn't really be apparent until at least 14 DPO.

To answer your question I wish I knew more about UK levels but I live in the US. In the US here are the progesterone levels you should expect to see:

at 7 DPO -
at least 10 to show healthy ovulation
at least 15 if the cycle was medicated

at 14 DPO -
a level of 25 in a pregnant woman (with a bare minimum of 10)

Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks, that does help a bit, but as I say I will need to try and find the uk levels.. however, lol.. i have the test booked for cd24 (25 is a saturday) of a 32 day cycle. I am counting this 'cycle' from the bleed i experienced.. (incase im mad and not pregnant - may as well get the test done on this cycle).. but I believe I may have conceived on the previous cycle.. so I would be around 6 weeks since my last menstrual period.

Im not even at ovulation day of this 'cycle' yet...

So where should the levels be for a 6 weeks pregnant woman?

and I honestly wasnt even symptom spotting this time round, we were taking a break really, and I didnt start noticing symptoms till after the bleed.

Thanks for the input and advice!!

Not sure what levels should be for someone who is 6 weeks along but my last test revealed a level of 83 at about 5 weeks.

As for the progesterone test, it is only used to confirm ovulation has already happened and to make sure that your body makes enough progesterone. The test is only accurate at 7 days past ovulation, 8 max, so you need to know when you ovulate if you want it to be accurate. If you have the test done before you ovulate or any other day besides 7 days or 8 days past your ovulation the test is pretty much useless. Just make sure you are scheduling it based on your ovulation date, not just a cycle day. I would suggest using ovulation sticks to pinpoint your O date. Good luck.

I dunno, not to be a downer but if you were 6 weeks pregnant I'm pretty sure you would be pulling up a positive home pregnancy test by now, the baby would have a heartbeat and everything...I got my first positive 3 and a half weeks ago i think. :hugs:

If you are so sure you are pregnant why don't you go to your doctor and get that hcg test? A progesterone test is not going to show whether you are pregnant.

Exactly right, prog. test can't demonstrate pregnancy, especially this early. Its just not what it is intended for. I would skip the NHS and go straight to a private clinic to ease my mind.

this thread has gotten very technical lol... i dont really know what else to say hun other than everyone is so different and i can only tell you my situation and i cant possibly think anyone knows or doesnt know whats going on within your body other than you and your doctor. if you see your doctor and insist on a blood test they have to give it to you legally...your paying after all! all i can say is have patience and hopefully see your doctor in a week or 2! Good luck xxxxxxxx

Well said, good luck and keep us posted.

Wow lol I didnt expect to cause so much debate!! oh deary me..
Well maybe the best option is to find a private doctor as I doubt the nhs would send me for a blood test.. I may do what one poster suggested and try and get a nhs docs appt before the blood test and see if I can convince him to add hcg to the tests..im not sure how to go about going private I've never used a private doctor before!

Thanks for everyones input and I'll be sure to let you all know the outcome!!!

Day 21 won't show your pregnant. In UK to have had a very good ovulation your day 21 in UK should be between 60 and 100. Don't get confused with US levels which use a different measurement.

Am I right in thinking/reading that you have a period not that long ago? So long as there was red bleed then it was a proper period. Pregnant women don't tend to bleed like a period. I would keep trying in the ttc kind of way as your maybe coming up for ovulation.

Having been in that limbo that that the OP is in, I totally believe she should see her GP. Yes a progesterone test can't really tell her if she is pregnant, but it can tell her if she had ovulated. It was very reassuring for me for the doctor to just confirm that I had at least ovulated, so I knew a conclusion wasn't far off (either AF or a BFP was coming). I don't have my numbers to hand but my progesterone levels were within the range considered normal.

I didn't ask for hcg to be included, because I assumed it would be. Don't assume. Ask if you can. If they can't at least you'll know if they confirm you are in the LP, that a solution will be with you within two weeks. If you are still waiting to O you can use opks to monitor where you are, or the dr might decide to prescribe you something to start your AF or kick start your ovaries.

There is a good chance that you may be pregnant, just not as far along as your LMP could suggest. Definitely see the GP because if you do get your BFP you're probably going to need an early scan like I'm having to sort an EDD out. You'll need their referral to the EPU and they are more likely to be on board if you have gone through the process with them. Good luck!

I am in the same boat atm - 13 days late and no positive. With my DD I got a BFP like 5 days before I was due my period, so she showed REALLY early.

BUT my best friend on here had negative after negative for about 2-3 weeks, and then got a positive at 8 weeks after her LMP and now has a beautiful 1 year old boy!

Honestly, every day I'd text her and say "Got a positive yet?" and eventually I got a text with a pic of a faint positive.

Link to her little thread mentioning it: https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-first-trimester/258338-do-start.html

Don't put all your hope into it, but don't give up till that dreaded AF comes - because I know I won't be! (Although we only DTD once or twice a month :nope:) xxxxx

I think I've confused people with this progesterone test thing. I know that a day 21 progesterone test couldnt tell me if i was pregnant if it indeed, was day 21 of my cycle, and the bleed I had was a period.

However, if it wasnt (maybe a decidual bleed??) and Im on like...cycle day 50ish and awaiting the bfp, then I hope the progesterone would be high enough for them to question it.

NotNic - thanks I dont suppose you have any info on the levels used in the uk? I seem to be getting conflicting info so confusng!! what is a normal level for after ov?

good luck xpatchx thanks for telling me about your friend!

Thanks ladies xx

Josephine the problem with the progesterone test is that it is given at 7 DPO for a reason. Basically during your cycle your progesterone would be at it's highest point at 7 DPO. If the test is done after that. the progesterone will be at a lower level as progesterone slowly drops until you get your period.

However, if indeed you are on CD 50 or so and you are pregnant you are right, it could show higher than normal. The only problem with that theory is that some women have high levels of progesterone normally even when they are not pregnant. So even if the test comes back with a high level of progesterone that wouldn't be enough to indicate pregnancy. You would still need an HCG blood test. That is why I was saying that saving some time and taking the test right away might be a good idea. You'll get the quickest response that way. Plus, if you order your results stat you will get them back the same day! I always get mine by 3 PM.

Good luck!

Ah i see, thanks for that bit of info! So if i was in some massively long luteal phase it might have declined by now.
The only problem with testing is being in th uk i cant just stroll in and order whatever tests i like!! I would have to convince the go to send me for one first... if i dont get definite results by next fri I may ask the nurse for advice or try and get in with the gp before and ask him to do a hcg.
I *think* I've started to get the lightest of faint lines on the 25 sensitivity dipsticks.. see thread in Pregnancy test forum if you're interested! (probly just makes me crazier but oh well..)
Gosh I must get to bed.. night!! x

You just need to make an appointment with your GP and tell him/her you suspect you are pregnant, have had some bleeding but haven't had a positive pregnancy test. You are worried something is wrong, can they run an hcg on you.
Not that difficult!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh