anyone in school while pregnant / with newborn?

spunky84

TTC #4
Reaction score
Classes start August 31 and baby is due September 10. At the latest they are letting me go to 41 weeks, so September 17.

I'm currently enrolled for 16 credit his, but I'm planning to drop one of the courses to lighten the load and just take the dropped course during another semester.

My biggest worry right now is that he'll come for the start of classes and I'll miss the first week. The advisor said it won't be an issue, but I feel like it'll put me out of sorts (I'm actually going he comes close to the 17th so I can at least get the feel of things).

I'm really anxious about juggling school with a newborn. I know it's going to be really hard, but it's doable. My longest school days will be Monday's and Wednesday's (longest hours and most difficult courses). I'm trying to figure out childcare since he can't go to daycare until 6 weeks as well as bonding as I have to get right back into class.

Anyone else doing this or has done this? How did you manage?

Your plate will definitely be full. But you know your own limits. I have 2 classes left before I finish my degree. I decided to only take one this semester, and save the other for the next, just to sure I don't over do it. But I already know that I have a very low stress tolerance level and never take more than 3 classes at a time anyway. I also work. Best of luck!

I'm due on July 7 and school starts back up for me on September 1, so I'm not quite in your situation....but I will be taking 14 upper level credits and working! I think being really organized with homework and schedules will help immensely. I keep a planner on my phone and a real paper one with me at all times and use highlighters to mark down due dates, completed work, appointments etc. if everything is a pretty rigid schedule then all you have to do is follow it and not do so much extra organizing and thinking!!!

Also I think that if you need help ask for it! I've already let my parents know that if my husband has work or something that I need them to be on standby a certain number of days just in case. I think a lot can be achieved through a good support system if it's available!

Good luck!! :hugs:

I'm not due until February, but I am full-time in school. I also have a 19 month old at home. I went back to school when he was 3 weeks old and only took 3 classes that semester. That was plenty at the time. If you can afford the time and the money, I'd take an extra semester just to make sure not to overwork yourself. However, it is doable. I am enrolled for 17 units for fall and will enroll in 12 units (1 fast track, 2 online, and 1 in person) for Spring. My baby will be due during midterms for three classes and right before the final for the fast track. If you decide to nurse, sometimes pumping is not enough (as was the case for me) and you will have to be physically there. So be prepared for that. Space out your classes if you have to so you can drive home and feed the baby before your next class. I made many trips from school to home and back again each day. I only live 7.5 miles from the college (11 minute drive with no traffic, 30 minutes with traffic), so that helps. It will be rough, your time will be stretched, and sometimes you will get really frustrated. Just remember that it gets easier as time goes on, especially once solids are introduced and feedings go from every 1.5 hours to 3-4 hours. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->