Anyone not breast feeding??

Im not breastfeeding the very thought of ME doing it turns my stomach i wont change my mind when baby is here because i already have a child and had zero desire to feed him myself, tbh i couldnt care what anyone thinks, my breasts my child i will decide what is done

I'm def planning on breastfeeding but i secretly think it's more for me than for LO. I've always just wanted to. My SIL is like a total supermum and has just had her second, she struggled to breastfeed her first and went onto formula after 2 days and decided this time she would just go straight onto formula because she wants to really enjoy this LO without the stress! She's been totally confident all along and hasn't had too much grief from the MW's. She's DEF not selfish or a bad mum or anything, i think she's amazing and brave so make your own choices about your own baby!

I do however know a couple of people who swore they wouldn't but then decided to feed right at the start just to give them the meconium (is that what it is or is that just the stuff for lambs??) and got hooked and carried on. Just a thought xxx

meconium is baby poo! Youre thinking of colostrum, haha.

I had a giggle here too!
To the OP, try and keep an open mind- the colostrum is so good for baby, and you really don't know how you'll feel until baby is here :hugs:

I'm planning on trying to BF but I'm fully prepared to be formula feeding instead as my mum and both grandmas tried but couldn't. Even if bf is successful, I'll be doing combination feeding (at least one formula feed a day) partly so that my DH can feed baby and partly because I know I personally won't feel comfortable BFing in public (and this combi-feeding was suggested by a friend). My SIL, who is due a month before me, has refused to consider formula feeding at all and has two free bottles from the baby fair in case she decides to express.

I personally think that people should push aside what they think is wrong with breast feeding and at least give it a try for the sake of their babies, instead of being selfish. I'm not sure why people find it so unnatural when breast feeding is one of the most natural things in the world. This is just my opinion and i am not trying to offend anybody.

Or I am the only one :shrug:

my mw has been very supportive which is nice but a huge amount of people have said I am doing the wrong thing!

Which to be honest is getting me slightly riled lol

it's hard to explain the reason it's I just don't want to I find my breasts a sexual object!!! Lol I find the whole breast feeding thing very unnatural

I can understand why people try and change my mind after all breast is best i am amazed at the amount of support in mags, books, websites etc for breast feeding but hardly any for mums who have decided not to for what ever reason - each to there hey!

anyone else feeling like me x

:rofl: Sorry I know this isn't meant to be funny but this comment made me laugh, breast feeding unnatural and formula is what exactly? :dohh:

x

i am feeding by bottle, i havent felt like i want to breast feed. Dont let people make you feel bad, they wouldnt sell milk to feed your baby if it wasnt good for them.

And also the people that want to breast feed should do it without, making people that dont want to feel bad. its up to you at the end of the day doesnt make you a bad mum for not xx

i would keep an open mind, you dont know how you will feel until after you've had the baby.

iv seen women who have had no intention of breastfeeding and changed their mind after giving birth saying they will do it for the first few days, then ended up wanting to carry on they loved it that much.

iv also seen babies latch themselves on during skin to skin, so the mums got a bit of a shock, and decided to carry on.

everyone is entitled to their own choices, but IMO i dont see why people dont give it a go (unless on medication or anything thats stopping it) you might enjoy it and if iyou dont like it after trying it then go to formula x

i have no intention of breast feeding :)
if bottle feeding was that bad, they wouldnt sell formula...each to their own :)
xxx

I'm not here to dis bottle feeding and I see the point you are trying to make, but I think that people do sell stuff that's bad for us and our children all the time because the market is driven by what advertisers can make us buy!

I do think formula is very carefully designed to be as nutritional as possible (although some will suit some babies more than others) btw I just don't agree that they wouldn't sell us something that was bad for us.
at the end of the day, mums shouldnt feel pressured to breast feed or be told that theyre doing wrong by their kids if they dont breast feed. my kids have turned out fine on formula and are healthier than a couple of kids who were breast fed. so personally, i think its personal choice because i really dont think it makes much difference after the colostrum! each to their own
xx

xx

With my first i was like no way am i breastfeeding, but my sister encouraged me to give it a go, so i thought i would try, i did carry on, but only till week 4, i got mastitis so bad, it was extremly painful. so he went onto the bottle.
With my second son, i wanted to breastfeed him, getting through the first 4-6 weeks i found hard as it was quite sore trying to latch him on, (not getting him latched on right)
but once my breasts settled down i didnt want to stop feeding him when i had to back to work, i felt so bad lol.
with this one, i plan on feeding until at least the first year!
for one when babys hungry i can feed him pretty much straight away, no heating up bottles and less disturbance for me, hubbie and the baby through the night, no cost for the milk, and no bottles to sterilise lol
as most have you have said, each to their own, nobody should be made to feel bad about bottle feeding, its their prefrence, and sometimes the choice is out of their hands.

i would however say that every woman should give it a go, im so glad my sister persuaded me to try!

xx

I had a reduction a couple of years ago and was told by the surgeon before the op that there would be a 50/50 chance I'd be able to breastfeed. After the op I was informed that due to the way they "moved" everything there was no way I'd be able to breastfeed. My midwife has since informed me that even though I can't physically do it, I will still be made to feel guilty about formula feeding. She's seen it happen to other women. It's your choice, but Then you may feel completely different when baby arrives. Whatever you choose to do, noone has the right to make you feel guilty for how you choose to feed YOUR baby. :)

I personally think that people should push aside what they think is wrong with breast feeding and at least give it a try for the sake of their babies, instead of being selfish. I'm not sure why people find it so unnatural when breast feeding is one of the most natural things in the world. This is just my opinion and i am not trying to offend anybody.

calling someone selfish for not choosing to breastfeed is quite offensive actually!

if they strongly feel uncomfortable with BF they are hardly going to be able to push their feelings aside are they. i dont feel comfortable with BF at all probably due to the bullying i recieved when i was younger about my boobs being bigger than others, this is probably why i cant bare to look at them even OH. but i am willing to give BF a go even if its expressed.
but i hardly think that those who are 100% not going to are selfish, its their choice. :thumbup:.

yes breast is best but i bet, there are just as many FF healthy happy babies as their are BF healthy happy babies :shrug:.

its this attitude why many mums who FF feel as if they are second best:growlmad:

if bottle feeding was that bad, they wouldnt sell formula...each to their own :)
xxx

I'm not here to dis bottle feeding and I see the point you are trying to make, but I think that people do sell stuff that's bad for us and our children all the time because the market is driven by what advertisers can make us buy!

I do think formula is very carefully designed to be as nutritional as possible (although some will suit some babies more than others) btw I just don't agree that they wouldn't sell us something that was bad for us.
at the end of the day, mums shouldnt feel pressured to breast feed or be told that theyre doing wrong by their kids if they dont breast feed. my kids have turned out fine on formula and are healthier than a couple of kids who were breast fed. so personally, i think its personal choice because i really dont think it makes much difference after the colostrum! each to their own
xx

xx

It makes a difference to mum and baby actually. I have nothing against formula and I think its a good alternative but I don't appreciate people saying it makes no difference and that FF kids are healthier. BF doesnt create a bubble around your child but the risk of infection is a lot less (like ear infections, d&v, chst infections), it reduces the risks of cotdeath, theres good evidence that the longterm benefits are huge too - lower blood pressure, less obesity, less chance of exzema, asthma and even leukaemia. No one is saying BF babies never get ill because of course they do but the science shows that they have less chances of them occuring.

Seems like there is still a lot of miseducation surrounding breastfeeding :shrug:

Im glad somebody made this thread, I was considering making one myself!!

With my son I wanted to breastfeed, and I managed 3 days then went to formula. I was in absolute agony with it, Id sit there crying the whole time he was being fed, my nipples cracked and went sore. To me it was absolute hell. I didnt 'enjoy' breastfeeding like some women do, there wasnt anything enjoyable about it.

I dont want to breastfeed this baby, Id like to express the first 3 days as thats the colustrum, then change to formula. The same as my son had.

I hate people looking down on anyone that formula feeds, its a personal choice. Yes breastfeeding may have been proven to be slightly better, but my son is perfectly healthy, and so is his Dad that was formula fed from day 1!

xx

Im not breastfeeding cause Im a diabetic and it freaks me out incase the baby consumes my insulin! apparently that doesnt happen but people are different and im not taking a chance! and plus I hypo alot (low blood sugar) so sometimes I wont be able to feed my baby cause ill need to treat the hypo otherwise ill just pass out! I was bottled fed and im fine! part from Diabetes haha which apparently breastfeeding helps prevent :D ahwell

I fully intend on BF'ing because it's what I really truly want to do...plus the million benefits to baby and myself. But I totally respect a woman's decision to use formula if they so choose. BF'ing is hard and I think you really have to want it!
But my question here is formula not that expensive in the UK or US?
My god here it's a bloody fortune...when you'r baby is eating a bit more, maybe over 2 months, it would probably be 150-200/month. You could do it a bit cheaper if you were using the no name walmart brand or something, just most people don't use that for newborns that I know anyway.

xxx

xx

xx

It makes a difference to mum and baby actually. I have nothing against formula and I think its a good alternative but I don't appreciate people saying it makes no difference and that FF kids are healthier. BF doesnt create a bubble around your child but the risk of infection is a lot less (like ear infections, d&v, chst infections), it reduces the risks of cotdeath, theres good evidence that the longterm benefits are huge too - lower blood pressure, less obesity, less chance of exzema, asthma and even leukaemia. No one is saying BF babies never get ill because of course they do but the science shows that they have less chances of them occuring.

Seems like there is still a lot of miseducation surrounding breastfeeding :shrug:

There are also a lot of benefits to the mom...reducing chances of breast cancer, burning those extra calories...easier feeds, less work. And FREE! lol.

xxx

xx

xx

There are also a lot of benefits to the mom...reducing chances of breast cancer, burning those extra calories...easier feeds, less work. And FREE! lol.

ovarian cancer, type II diabetes and Postnatal depression too :thumbup:

i wasnt saying my formula fed child is healthier than any breast fed child, i was saying that a few kids i know who were breast fed are constantly coming down with infections, etc yet my daughter is hardly ever ill. my nan breast fed all 5 of her kids and she was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. so i dont really put much faith in breastfeeding preventing anything, because if somethings gonna happen then it will. everyones entitled to their opinion n somebody will always get offended when this kind of subject is bought up, but everyone is entitled to do as they wish and nobody should judge them for it! im not against breast feeding, but i dont think it makes somebody a better person if they do breast feed. i choose not to do it because its a PERSONAL CHOICE. so people need to get off their high horses!

Its a bit silly arguing with a proven fact but okay :shrug: It reduces risk, nothing else. I dont think anyone is on their high horse.

The decision to ff or bf is totally personal, but thinking that bf is unnatural just blows my mind.
Women lactate after giving birth for a reason: it's the NATURAL response to the birth, as it is the way all mammalian infants (humans included) have been fed since time immemorial. Formula is what's unnatural. I'm not saying formula is bad. It's not as beneficial to mum or baby, but it can get the job done.
Breasts are indeed sexual, but it's not their primary purpose. Sex is not what they're there for. When they're being used sexually, then they're sexual. When they're being used to sustain life, sex is the furthest thing from the reality of what's happening.
Whether a woman decides to put her breasts to their natural use is her decision to make after what she believes is best for her and her baby. Women end up ff for so many different, valid reasons. However, that decision needs to be an informed one. And whatever choice a woman makes, a healthy, stable view of her body and how babies eat is essential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->