Anyone not breast feeding??

I echo MoonMelody, it was what I wanted to say but couldn't think how to say it. Maybe laughing wasn't the right thing :shrug:

x

thank you ladies - you make me feel normal about this subject - not sure what I personally am going to do yet - but if i do go along the breast feeding route then it would only be out of necessity rather than wanting to (I hope I don't sound cruel) x

I don't understand why people wouldn't at least express their colostrum for the baby. It gives them such a great start and is only for a few days.

I wasn't able to BF the last time and expressed for 4 weeks. I hope to BF this time and if I can't I will express as much as I can.

I don't understand why people view it as unnatural. It is the most natural thing in the world for a woman to feed her baby.

Im going to try expressing for the first few days for the colustrum. Did anyone find expressing hurt? Im worried as I tried to bf my son but was in agony for the 3 days I did it. This time Id rather express for 3 days, but not sure if that hurts too?!

xx

Im going to try expressing for the first few days for the colustrum. Did anyone find expressing hurt? Im worried as I tried to bf my son but was in agony for the 3 days I did it. This time Id rather express for 3 days, but not sure if that hurts too?!

xx

Expressing didn't hurt for me. I still put on lansinoh after every feed.

Thanks, Ill research some pumps etc, if it goes OK I can carry on expressing hopefully.

Another question, I know you arent allowed to leave the hospital until baby has had a succesful feed if breastfeeding, if I express thats different surely as baby doesnt need to latch on as the milk will go into bottles? So Im expressing but bottle feeding?

xx

Personally, I find it is only fair to try. If you try, and it really isn't for you, or is too painful, or it just won't work, then fair enough. But surely giving our little ones the best possible is worth a little extra effort?
I'm not too sure about it yet, I WANT to, but I've always had a bit of a breast issue, and I hate the thought of people seeing me. So I'll probably express too. HOPEFULLY. If it's painful, I highly doubt I'll carry on! Too soft, and this pregnancy has already been very rough!

im going to try bf but i dont think MW's should put pressure on you.its a personal choice x

I'm definetly going to try bf but I don't think its selfish of mothers who don't want to try, each to there own.
I would never judge anyone on how they feed be it bf or ff and its not right that some people push their own views and look down on other mums.

Me and my hubby have made the same decision, I just dont feel comfortable with it, I cant explain my reasoning, but I am concerned that I may get pushed into it or thought badly of later in my pregnancy or once my baby girl is here. I am staying open minded though and if I feel like i want to try it when she arrives then I will but I just dont want to be forced or coerced into it. It should mine and my ohs decision I believe.

It used to annoy me when my daughter was born when older relatives and friends of the family came to visit and they felt the need to put me under interogation for not breatfeeding.. It got to the point where I felt embarrased when the health visitors/midwives asked me whether I breast or bottle fed & I even had a VERY rude trainee midwife make a sarcastic comment about it litterally seconds after I'd given birth!...

But let me tell you I feel very sorry for anyone that tries to put me down or make me feel bad this time around because I WILL NOT tolerate people telling me what I should and shouldnt do with my body because like you I just dont feel comfortable getting my breasts out infront of friends or family and I dont feel comfortable with even my bf watching me breastfeed..I wasnt confident with the way my breasts were before I even had any children, Its just the way I feel and nothing I or anyone else can do will change that.

So although I dont have any problems atall with people breastfeeding its just not my thing and I wont be doing it :) xx

The decision to ff or bf is totally personal, but thinking that bf is unnatural just blows my mind.
Women lactate after giving birth for a reason: it's the NATURAL response to the birth, as it is the way all mammalian infants (humans included) have been fed since time immemorial. Formula is what's unnatural. I'm not saying formula is bad. It's not as beneficial to mum or baby, but it can get the job done.
Breasts are indeed sexual, but it's not their primary purpose. Sex is not what they're there for. When they're being used sexually, then they're sexual. When they're being used to sustain life, sex is the furthest thing from the reality of what's happening.
Whether a woman decides to put her breasts to their natural use is her decision to make after what she believes is best for her and her baby. Women end up ff for so many different, valid reasons. However, that decision needs to be an informed one. And whatever choice a woman makes, a healthy, stable view of her body and how babies eat is essential.

I would totally agree with that!

I cannot imagine not breastfeeding, never actually considered it for a second...it may be hard and it may even be that I have to give up for whatever reason (I cant predict the future) but I definitely hope that I will be just fine and I will sure do everything I can to make sure that happens.
I don't look down on mums who choose not to bf; their bodies, their babies, but it is not the choice I would make for my child unless forced to for health reasons.

Breasts are there for that main purpose and to be perfectly honest it only became a sexual object because of that initial purpose - breasts would have no appeal to the human race at all if they were not initially designed to feed us, appease us, comfort us etc. So to say that they are sexual and therefore should not be used to feed a child is actually a contradiction... they can only remain sexual if their primary purpose is somehow maintained (if not in reality at least in the imagination).

xx

That decision is totally your personal choice. You should not feel bad or being scrutinized for whatever choice you make. And BF does not come "naturally" for everyone. Many people struggle with it and so do many babies. My first baby never got the hang of latching on and after 2 weeks of crying and extreme stress we chose to put her on the bottle both expressing (for about a week) and then totally on formula. I bf my second baby exclusively without any problems. And I can honestly say that my first baby (now 6) is a much healthier child than my 2nd. She has better muscle tone, hit all of her milestones earlier, and is an extremely intelligent and athletic little girl. I can not say the same for my second. So don't think that bf is going to make a huge difference in your child's life. Just do what you feel is right for you.

I imagine it comes naturally to a very small number of women. It is something that needs to be learned for both mother and baby and it can be a bit stressful in the first few weeks.

The decision to ff or bf is totally personal, but thinking that bf is unnatural just blows my mind.
Women lactate after giving birth for a reason: it's the NATURAL response to the birth, as it is the way all mammalian infants (humans included) have been fed since time immemorial. Formula is what's unnatural. I'm not saying formula is bad. It's not as beneficial to mum or baby, but it can get the job done.
Breasts are indeed sexual, but it's not their primary purpose. Sex is not what they're there for. When they're being used sexually, then they're sexual. When they're being used to sustain life, sex is the furthest thing from the reality of what's happening.
Whether a woman decides to put her breasts to their natural use is her decision to make after what she believes is best for her and her baby. Women end up ff for so many different, valid reasons. However, that decision needs to be an informed one. And whatever choice a woman makes, a healthy, stable view of her body and how babies eat is essential.

I would totally agree with that!

I cannot imagine not breastfeeding, never actually considered it for a second...it may be hard and it may even be that I have to give up for whatever reason (I cant predict the future) but I definitely hope that I will be just fine and I will sure do everything I can to make sure that happens.
I don't look down on mums who choose not to bf; their bodies, their babies, but it is not the choice I would make for my child unless forced to for health reasons.

Breasts are there for that main purpose and to be perfectly honest it only became a sexual object because of that initial purpose - breasts would have no appeal to the human race at all if they were not initially designed to feed us, appease us, comfort us etc. So to say that they are sexual and therefore should not be used to feed a child is actually a contradiction... they can only remain sexual if their primary purpose is somehow maintained (if not in reality at least in the imagination).

xx

True say. I had a breast reduction when I was 18, so I had word with the surgeon recently to ask him what the reality will be for me when it comes to breast feeding. He said that he left as much intact as possible, so I have a very, very good chance of being successful.

Breast feeding can be so difficult for some women, and there are times when it's just not possible. Proper support for women who want to breast feed is crucial. Unfortunately, there is a lack of support for new mothers once they leave the hospital.

Just as unfortunate, in my nursing training so far doing home visits, I've noticed a lot of women get extremely defensive when breast feeding is promoted. These ladies tend to be the ones with abstract and/or deep-seated issues about their breasts and what breast feeding actually is. Any encouragement to breast feed is perceived by them as it being shoved down their throats. It's simply our job as health professionals to encourage every new mother to do what is safest and healthiest for her and her child. This is barring cases in which breast feeding is impossible. Like for women who have had their breasts removed after cancer treatment or other incompatible breast surgeries, or women on certain medications (e.g. steroids).

If a woman's difficulty in breast feeding is the result of cracked nipples, pain, nipple refusal, etc, then all the woman needs is proper support to get things on track. Women who feel hopeless and alone in their effort to breast feed will most likely give up, thinking that they've failed or that breast feeding simply wasn't for them.

Breastfeeding is not sexual, and it needn't be done in public or in front of anyone, including the woman's partner. There are many women who breast feed privately. And for those who want their partners to experience feeding the baby, then it's absolutely possible to express milk in addition to breast feeding.

I imagine it comes naturally to a very small number of women. It is something that needs to be learned for both mother and baby and it can be a bit stressful in the first few weeks.

Definitely. The process is natural, as breasts produce milk for a reason, but learning how to get a proper latch can take some time.

Omg I am amazed at the replies to my orginal thread
I can't believe people can judge me they don't know me I was just asking for others in my situation to come forward and like I said each to there own I think breast feeding is brill and fair play for doing it but - I Do FIND IT UNATURAL but that's just me doesn't mean it isn't, also I'd like to make clear I find my breasts sexual not breast feeding!!! Grrrr

but on the other hand there are some lovely supportive replies from non and breast feeders which I ve enjoyed reading thanks girls x

Omg I am amazed at the replies to my orginal thread
I can't believe people can judge me they don't know me I was just asking for others in my situation to come forward and like I said each to there own I think breast feeding is brill and fair play for doing it but - I Do FIND IT UNATURAL but that's just me doesn't mean it isn't, also I'd like to make clear I find my breasts sexual not breast feeding!!! Grrrr

but on the other hand there are some lovely supportive replies from non and breast feeders which I ve enjoyed reading thanks girls x

I don't think anyone was judging you, hun; just reacting to what you said. I'm sorry if you felt looked down upon. Speaking for myself, that's not the case. The choice not to breast feed is entirely yours, and there's nothing wrong with that. I was just voicing my opinion in regards to the reasons you gave, as I feel strongly about how often I hear them. This is an open forum, so constructive debates and discussions are appropriate. Again, I'm sorry if you felt judged, as it was not my intention to make you feel that way.

Thanks moonmelody , I agree I do like a good debate
I think I felt a little hurt people were judging and even laughing at my reasons more than anything
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->